Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Osaka or Kyoto - which is cheaper?

Osaka or Kyoto - which is cheaper?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Osaka or Kyoto - which is cheaper?

Postby sampaguita » Fri 08.07.2009 10:27 am

Where is it cheaper to base ourselves (2 adults, both female) if we wish to explore the Kansai region: Osaka or Kyoto? By "cheap", I mean this includes transportation and food.

We will be attending a conference in Osaka, so we will definitely be staying there for a few days. We will arrive and leave Japan through the Kansai International Airport. The question is, would it be worth it to transfer to Kyoto for 2 or 4 days of sightseeing? (I said 2 to 4 because we might be going to Tokyo.)

Also, do you have some recommended CHEAP hotels/hostels/inns which are COMFORTABLE?

Thanks!
sampaguita

Re: Osaka or Kyoto - which is cheaper?

Postby NileCat » Sat 08.08.2009 7:42 pm

Hi, I don't think I can be of your assistance but so far, there seems no replies yet.

In general, regarding the price, you wouldn't find a big difference between Osaka and Kyoto, I think.
But when it comes to sightseeing, there is a big difference. If you are interested in the traditional Japan, I strongly recommend you to visit Kyoto.
But if you prefer clubs to old temples or something, I won't insist anything.

Well...that's all I can tell you. I don't have any further idea.
Someone who is famillier with Kansai than me would help you, I hope.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby sampaguita » Sun 08.09.2009 11:04 am

Thank you! Actually, my dilemma is whether to go through the hassle of transferring hotels by train just to make sightseeing more convenient. From your reply, I guess accommodation cost is all we have to worry about.
sampaguita

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sun 08.09.2009 11:10 am

It's a short way with train from Osaka to Kyoto(maybe 30-40minutes). So it shouldn't be a problem staying in Osaka and just visit Kyoto for sightseeing.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan