Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Name Pronunciation

Name Pronunciation

Do you have a translation question?

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby phreadom » Sat 08.08.2009 8:17 pm

Fine by me... that's basically the impression I got from the start. :)

Being a cat owner I was laughing a little more at his second point than the first. ;) My youngest kitty (who sadly now resides at my parents' due to animal restrictions on this apartment) happens to just be named "kitty". Lazy for the win!
猿も木から落ちる
User avatar
phreadom
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun 01.29.2006 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Native language: U.S. English (米語)
Gender: Male

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby AJBryant » Sat 08.08.2009 10:48 pm

The next (female) cat I get will be named "Lady Myôbu." (That's sort of a Japanese historian in-joke.)

If I had a black cat, it would have to be named "Yamato."
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 08.09.2009 1:27 am

Someday I hope to have a nice male dog, whom I fully intend to name "Margaret".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 08.09.2009 5:51 am

AJBryant wrote:If I had a black cat, it would have to be named "Yamato."


Heheh.

I got to name the family cat when I was 2 or 3....
The cat's name? Boycat....

I really wasn't a very creative kid.
Hermit crab -- Hermie (all 6 of them)
Stuffed Porpoise -- Porpie
Garter Snake -- Garder
:roll:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby NileCat » Sun 08.09.2009 8:58 am

I'm sorry if I interrupt your conversation.

On behalf of all the cats who speak Japanese, I declare that you can name your cat " 好" and you can spell it "Suki" and you can pronounce it "Soo-key".

:D
User avatar
NileCat
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: Japanese

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby phreadom » Sun 08.09.2009 6:20 pm

Harisenbon wrote:Hermit crab -- Hermie (all 6 of them)


I'm not the only one! ;)
猿も木から落ちる
User avatar
phreadom
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun 01.29.2006 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Native language: U.S. English (米語)
Gender: Male

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby AJBryant » Mon 08.10.2009 1:58 am

Mike Cash wrote:Someday I hope to have a nice male dog, whom I fully intend to name "Margaret".



MIke, I love you, man.
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.10.2009 8:49 am

Mike Cash wrote:Someday I hope to have a nice male dog, whom I fully intend to name "Margaret".


the funny thing is, for all the fuss, the dog won't care what you call it. Only you and anyone who wants to sit in judgement of your choice. Quite frankly, it's easy to say someone is an idiot for doing something, but then again, that's only an opinion right? lol margaret, sheesh at least give it a ballsy female's name like Bertha or Hilda..
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 08.10.2009 10:29 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:Someday I hope to have a nice male dog, whom I fully intend to name "Margaret".


the funny thing is, for all the fuss, the dog won't care what you call it. Only you and anyone who wants to sit in judgement of your choice. Quite frankly, it's easy to say someone is an idiot for doing something, but then again, that's only an opinion right? lol margaret, sheesh at least give it a ballsy female's name like Bertha or Hilda..


That would defeat the purpose.

The name comes from the old Fibber & Molly radio program, in which a little neighbor girl has a male dog named "Margaret". The little girl's name, by the way, is "Teeny". When asked the source of her name she replied that it was a nickname from her father and short for "martini", because she was never quite dry enough to suit him.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.10.2009 5:02 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:Someday I hope to have a nice male dog, whom I fully intend to name "Margaret".


the funny thing is, for all the fuss, the dog won't care what you call it. Only you and anyone who wants to sit in judgement of your choice. Quite frankly, it's easy to say someone is an idiot for doing something, but then again, that's only an opinion right? lol margaret, sheesh at least give it a ballsy female's name like Bertha or Hilda..


That would defeat the purpose.

The name comes from the old Fibber & Molly radio program, in which a little neighbor girl has a male dog named "Margaret". The little girl's name, by the way, is "Teeny". When asked the source of her name she replied that it was a nickname from her father and short for "martini", because she was never quite dry enough to suit him.



I guess my sarcasm didn't quite translate over the internet.. I was actually agreeing with you .. I hate that my dry sense of humor never makes it across the internet medium.. /my apologies..
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby katafei » Wed 08.19.2009 7:58 pm

すげい
(凄い)

Image

EDIT: oh, I totally missed there was a page 2 to this thread, and I totally agree with Tony....ROFL
We are all but images of our time
User avatar
katafei
 
Posts: 1766
Joined: Sun 07.09.2006 9:56 am
Location: A'veen
Native language: Dutch; Female

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby keatonatron » Thu 08.20.2009 1:14 am

Harisenbon wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:Hmm... I don't know what site in particular you used, but it would appear that the site is not well-researched.


I'm actually really curious about that site as well.
I wonder how these places come up with names like that?

Also, TofuGoddess, you should keep in mind that a name can have multiple meanings depending on the Kanji used.
For example, the name Yumi can mean:
裕美 Rich and beautiful
由美 Free and Beautiful
友美 Friendly and Beautiful


由実 Free fruit
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 08.20.2009 8:02 am

keatonatron wrote:
Harisenbon wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:Hmm... I don't know what site in particular you used, but it would appear that the site is not well-researched.


I'm actually really curious about that site as well.
I wonder how these places come up with names like that?

Also, TofuGoddess, you should keep in mind that a name can have multiple meanings depending on the Kanji used.
For example, the name Yumi can mean:
裕美 Rich and beautiful
由美 Free and Beautiful
友美 Friendly and Beautiful


由実 Free fruit


湯見 - Call the police
油味 - American cooking
遊身 - All play no work
癒魅 - Mommy, why does my name take so long to write
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 08.20.2009 8:15 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
湯見 - Call the police
油味 - American cooking
遊身 - All play no work
癒魅 - Mommy, why does my name take so long to write



:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
tōkai devotee
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu 08.02.2007 6:15 am
Native language: Australian!

Re: Name Pronunciation

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 08.20.2009 10:11 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
I guess my sarcasm didn't quite translate over the internet.. I was actually agreeing with you .. I hate that my dry sense of humor never makes it across the internet medium.. /my apologies..


Oh, I got you just fine. I was only clarifying why it had to be "Margaret".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

PreviousNext

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests