Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Red Dragon Kanji

Red Dragon Kanji

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Red Dragon Kanji

Postby RedRX8Owner » Fri 11.25.2005 6:27 pm

I own a Red Mazda RX8 and want to make a custom decal for it. Since it is a Red Japanese sports car, I thought it would be neat to put the words "Red Dragon" on it in Kanji.

I did an internet search and made up to samples but I'm not sure which one is correct or more appropriate. Can someone tell me which one is right?

This one?
Last edited by RedRX8Owner on Fri 11.25.2005 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRX8Owner

RE: Or this one?

Postby RedRX8Owner » Fri 11.25.2005 6:29 pm

Or this one? Which one has the more appropriate meaning?
RedRX8Owner

RE: Red Dragon Kanji

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 11.25.2005 6:55 pm

竜 (たつ) (n) (1) dragon; (2) promoted rook (shogi);
竜 (りゅう) (n) (1) dragon; (2) promoted rook (shogi); (P);
龍 (たつ) (oK) (n) (1) dragon; (2) promoted rook (shogi);
龍 (りゅう) (oK) (n) (1) dragon; (2) promoted rook (shogi);

"oK" is the markup for "outdated kanji". and the 龍 isn't in my paperback kanji dictionary.

i would guess that both are correct, the second is more recent and common, the first is older and might have an antique feel.

edit:
also just to make things harder, if you want that astrological feel...

辰 (たつ) (n) fifth sign of Chinese zodiac (The Dragon, 7a.m.-9a.m., east-southeast, March); (P);
Last edited by zengargoyle on Fri 11.25.2005 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby RedRX8Owner » Fri 11.25.2005 8:23 pm

Thanks. I think that helps. I will go with the second one - the more recent one and not the outdated one.

Although, I did a little more research and found out that the second symbol is a Japanese simplification. To most Chinese (and other Asians), it does not have a significant meaning. Therefore, you might have to explain to a non-Japanese what it meant.

But I guess that's ok.

As for the zodiac thing - Is that the Japanese Kanji for the Chinese Dragon or just an astrological dragon in general? Since the decal is going on a Mazda, I want the references to be Japanese since that is the origins of the car.

The most important thing is that the decal makes sense and implies what I mean it to mean. The car is red, powerful and made in Japan. So the implication of the Kanji is that the car is "like" a red dragon (in Japanese).

I wanted to double check the meaning before I had it put on. I would hate for the final interpretation to be misunderstood.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
RedRX8Owner

Postby kempokatt » Fri 11.25.2005 9:23 pm

Actually, the first version is Chinese for dragon...but since it's a Japanese car, it wouldn't make much sense...unless YOU are Chinese...then it makes perfect sense...or does it?
kempokatt

Postby RedRX8Owner » Fri 11.25.2005 9:44 pm

Makes sense to me. But since I'm not Chinese and the car is Japanese, I want to use the Japanese version in keeping with the theme. Therefore, unless anyone can point something wrong with the second one above, I will go with the second one.

Thanks for the help.
RedRX8Owner

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 11.25.2005 10:37 pm

Both kanji are Japanaese. The top one just happens to look a little more classical.

I wouldn't make a decal with those images though, as the one of the right is horribly pixilixed, and doesn't look that good.I'd get a good font or find a good picture of the kanji to use for the final decal.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby RedRX8Owner » Fri 11.25.2005 11:33 pm

Yeah, those were just a rough draft of the images. I just opened paint, pasted and stretched real quick just for reference. The final image will probably be custom done to size and cut out of adhesive back vinyl lettering. I'll post a picture of them on the car when I'm done - if anyone cares to see.

Thanks everyone.
RedRX8Owner

Postby Infidel » Sat 11.26.2005 12:46 am

I'd check to make sure it didn't mean something vulgar in Chinese first.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby netarou » Sat 11.26.2005 11:32 am

竜 is 新字体(New Kanji face) for 龍.
In Japanese, there are many Kanji replaced by 新字体.
But 龍 is still often used (personal name for example) because it looks cool.
So 赤龍 looks better than 赤竜.

Examples of 旧字体→新字体
舊→旧 體→体 參→参 氣→気 爲→為
廣→広 藝→芸 醫→医 聲→声 國→国
鹽→塩 實→実 圖→図 關→関 歡→歓
netarou

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)