Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Funny Pronunciation

Funny Pronunciation

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Funny Pronunciation

Postby flammable hippo » Sat 08.22.2009 12:48 am

So Americans always tend to make fun of the accent Japanese people have when trying to speak English, but the accent Americans have when trying to speak Japanese can be just as bad (if not worse).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYL5t1GX3Oc

So I post this link, not to make any point or to start a discussion (but if one ensues then so be it! :D), but just because it made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Now I know these people have absolutely no training in the Japanese language so of course their pronunciation would be off, but that doesn't stop it from being really funny :wink:

Enjoy!

PS-They don't start speaking until like 1:20 into the video, so you can fast forward if you like.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
User avatar
flammable hippo
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Sun 03.19.2006 4:29 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby furrykef » Sat 08.22.2009 1:15 am

Hahahaha. At least I know there's someone out there whose pronunciation is worse than mine. ;)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby NileCat » Sat 08.22.2009 2:24 am

Intresting thing as a normal Japanese is that I didn't think them funny at all.
Did you hear the screams of the excited fans? I believe none of them laughed at their wrong pronunciation. That's the normal reaction.
They just appreciate their efforts to remember some Japanese greetings for them. That's all. Most of Japanese never think it funny.
I know you are not Johnny Depp. But still, you don't have to cringe.

You English speakers are used to foreigners speaking English. Because you're in the center of the world (
I'm kinda kidding) :lol:
But we are not. There is a big differerence.
We always welcome the non-Japanese people who try to speak Japanese. We respect them, in a sense.
When you come to Tokyo, you'd be suprised to see how many foreigners live here only in English. They are not like you.
But in general, most of us never make fun of the accent English-speaking people have.
That's for sure.
User avatar
NileCat
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: Japanese

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby flammable hippo » Sat 08.22.2009 11:20 am

Very interesting reply NileCat, thank you.

I suppose part of the humor (at least for me) comes from the fact that at one point in time, that's what I sounded like :wink: . It's very interesting to look at them and sort of see how far I've progressed since then. So in a sense, although I was laughing at them, I was also laughing at myself and I suppose the plight of all Americans trying to learn Japanese.
Although, I definitely understand your point of view of being grateful that anyone would take the time and effort to learn the Japanese language. I remember when I was in Japan, I would try out my Japanese whenever possible and most times people were *so* happy that I was studying their language that they overlooked all my silly mistakes hehe. Many English speakers definitely take it for granted that people the world over are studying our language and at times they should be more like the Japanese, grateful. But at the same time I figured this video would remind those Japanese individuals who are frustrated with themselves with their own (not necessarily real put perceived) inability to speak English that it's not just them who have trouble with English, we have trouble with Japanese! So they could watch this video and feel a bit relieved.

Also, at least in America, the various English accents of people from Asia have become very popular sources of humor in movies, tv, etc so I figured this video would be sort of like "revenge" for the Japanese and give them a chance to laugh at American accents of their language. But not in a malicious sort of way. It's all in good fun. I definitely know my own Japanese teacher loves when I make funny mistakes and usually bursts out laughing but not to make fun of me just because they actually were really funny. :D
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
User avatar
flammable hippo
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Sun 03.19.2006 4:29 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby AJBryant » Sat 08.22.2009 1:19 pm

flammable hippo wrote:Also, at least in America, the various English accents of people from Asia have become very popular sources of humor in movies, tv, etc so I figured this video would be sort of like "revenge" for the Japanese and give them a chance to laugh at American accents of their language.


I must have missed all these movies and TV shows. Can you give me some examples?


Tony
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby NileCat » Sat 08.22.2009 1:21 pm

Good insight. :) I know what you meant.

Here's a kind of famous video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VezP6yqhs9k
Interesting thing is that many Japanese ridicule him even though most of them don't speak English well.
Yeah, I know it's funny.
But do you know what's the funniest thing here?
This guy is deliberately doing this. Otherwise he couldn't read the subs at the speed. :lol:
User avatar
NileCat
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: Japanese

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby Sairana » Sat 08.22.2009 3:40 pm

AJBryant wrote:I must have missed all these movies and TV shows. Can you give me some examples?


Tony


First one that comes to mind is Lethal Weapon 4:
Bruce Willis: ... flied lice. (I can't remember the first half of the quote.. )
Kim Chan: Flied Lice? It's FRIED RICE, you plick!

I think there's plenty of examples in american media that poke fun at the "stereotypical asian accent", not that I can name most specific instances off the top of my head.
Sairana
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby coco » Sat 08.22.2009 7:06 pm

NileCat wrote:Intresting thing as a normal Japanese is that I didn't think them funny at all.
....That's for sure.

NileCatさん、私もまったく同感です。 :D
私たちの気持ちを代弁してくださってありがとうございます。
(NileCatさんのように流暢に思いを伝えられたら、どんなにすばらしいかと思います。)
今後ともよろしくお願いいたします。 :)
coco
 
Posts: 3061
Joined: Mon 05.30.2005 12:43 am
Location: 東京都
Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby NileCat » Sat 08.22.2009 7:09 pm

流暢などと、とんでもない。
過去にcocoさんが書かれたものなども拝見して、「なるほど~」と勉強しているところです。
こちらこそよろしくお願い致します。
User avatar
NileCat
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: Japanese

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby furrykef » Sat 08.22.2009 8:18 pm

There's this classic Surprise! / Supplies! gag from Weird Al's movie UHF. It's not a terribly well-known movie, though, which is a shame because it's pretty good.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 08.24.2009 12:28 am

furrykef wrote:There's this classic Surprise! / Supplies! gag from Weird Al's movie UHF. It's not a terribly well-known movie, though, which is a shame because it's pretty good.


It's not a well known movie? That's really sad...
I guess I was born at just the right time then, because most of my friends in college and growing up and wonderfully fond memories of that movie.

"It's time to drink from the FIRE HOSE!!!!"
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 08.24.2009 12:52 am

Harisenbon wrote:
furrykef wrote:There's this classic Surprise! / Supplies! gag from Weird Al's movie UHF. It's not a terribly well-known movie, though, which is a shame because it's pretty good.


It's not a well known movie? That's really sad...
I guess I was born at just the right time then, because most of my friends in college and growing up and wonderfully fond memories of that movie.

"It's time to drink from the FIRE HOSE!!!!"


I thought it was pretty well-known too.

"Badgers? We don' need no stinkin' badgers!"
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
User avatar
becki_kanou
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 08.24.2009 12:58 am

becki_kanou wrote:I thought it was pretty well-known too.
"Badgers? We don' need no stinkin' badgers!"


We need to be careful though, or we're going to turn this into a quote thread :/

"On Raul's Animal Kingdom: Today we're going to teach Poodles how to fly"
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby chikara » Mon 08.24.2009 10:55 pm

flammable hippo wrote:So Americans always tend to make fun of the accent Japanese people have when trying to speak English, but the accent Americans have when trying to speak Japanese can be just as bad ......

Bill Nighy, Orlando Bloom and Geoffery Rush are not Americans ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: Funny Pronunciation

Postby tōkai devotee » Mon 08.24.2009 11:13 pm

chikara wrote:
Bill Nighy, Orlando Bloom and Geoffery Rush are not Americans ;)


You don't seriously expect Americans to know that, do you?!? :lol: (only joking!)

Good to see you, Chikara-san. Haven't seen you around here much.
User avatar
tōkai devotee
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu 08.02.2007 6:15 am
Native language: Australian!

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests