Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Good real-world reading material for JLPT2 level?

Good real-world reading material for JLPT2 level?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Good real-world reading material for JLPT2 level?

Postby timewastin » Sat 08.22.2009 6:11 am

Hi everyone!

I'm currently learning for JLPT2, and I will be done with the vocabulary list in 2 days (of course I have to repeat afterwards). I just checked the Reading/Grammar exercises of a past JLPT, and I noticed that I need much more reading practice. I could understand almost all the words, but it took me way to long to read the text.

Does anyone know any good sources of real-world reading material for my level? I don't want to practice using the past JLPT papers (I need them later to practice the test as a whole), and also I'm not looking for a textbook. The problem with most real-world Japanese (like the 朝日新聞 RSS feed etc.) is that it's too difficult for my level. I tried playing Chrono Trigger and Zelda for SNES, and it was okay, if not a little easy (except for the "fantasy" kinda words).
timewastin

Native language: German

Re: Good real-world reading material for JLPT2 level?

Postby mbridge » Sat 08.22.2009 1:36 pm

I don't know if they are JLPT2 level, but I found it very interesting to read books like Read Real Japanese and Breaking Into Japanese. They have an English explanation on the side or bottom so that while reading a Japanese text you can quickly look up what a single word or phrase means.

I usually spend about an hour reading a story as fast (and smooth) as I can, and it's eyeopening to see how much you catch or miss without the English notes.
mbridge

Native language: American English

Postby timewastin » Sun 08.23.2009 11:53 am

Thank you very much!! I just ordered "Breaking into Japanese Literature", and I'm very curious if/how well I'll be able to read it. :)
timewastin

Native language: German

Postby mbridge » Sun 08.23.2009 7:17 pm

timewastin wrote:Thank you very much!! I just ordered "Breaking into Japanese Literature", and I'm very curious if/how well I'll be able to read it. :)

Oh yeah, that one in particular is extra awesome. I really appreciate that it has big name authors in it, like Natsume Soseki. Even Japanese people know about this, so it's something to talk about when you meet someone who paid attention in school. hahaha
mbridge

Native language: American English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips