Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Where in Japan is this?

Where in Japan is this?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Where in Japan is this?

Postby burstandbloom » Fri 08.21.2009 3:53 pm

So I stumbled upon this picture in google images:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dlkAw43cLC0/SSgQ_TstPeI/AAAAAAAAA8g/QcFUbboNfMk/s800/01-japan.jpg
Is that real?! How ridiculous..haha. It seems to be real, if so does anyone know where in Japan that is?
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Re: Where in Japan is this?

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 08.21.2009 4:05 pm

I'm pretty sure this was discussed on snopes.com message board and one point and the consensus was "photoshop"; someone came up with the original image that was used in the composite. I don't remember where it is.

(I don't know why it "seems to be real"; that looks like it would down the power lines and cause all kinds of disruption, not to mention being dangerous for the train -- only the perception of Japan as being crazy and anime-obsessed leads people to suspect it's real, I think.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Hyperworm » Fri 08.21.2009 4:14 pm

They did finish construction on a 1:1 scale Gundam in the last few months, though, which is just as awesome in my opinion :lol:
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby mbridge » Fri 08.21.2009 4:20 pm

Now they just need to make a 12 story tall Evangelion right next to it, and the timeless argument will be over once and for all.
mbridge

Native language: American English

Postby keatonatron » Fri 08.21.2009 6:28 pm

The original picture is Akihabara, although the girl is fake.

I once saw a hand-drawn version of this picture outside a shop in Akihabara, so it really has become a pretty famous icon!
keatonatron

Postby phreadom » Sat 08.22.2009 2:25 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:I'm pretty sure this was discussed on snopes.com message board and one point and the consensus was "photoshop"; someone came up with the original image that was used in the composite. I don't remember where it is.

(I don't know why it "seems to be real"; that looks like it would down the power lines and cause all kinds of disruption, not to mention being dangerous for the train -- only the perception of Japan as being crazy and anime-obsessed leads people to suspect it's real, I think.)

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... 000753;p=1

http://www.hardcoded.netfirms.com/archi ... _metro.jpg

Seems pretty clearly a photoshop to me. When you look at the full size version, especially around the feet, or in the multi-angle one where the legs go by the bridge etc, you can see the different lighting and shading and visual effect of the source image size difference etc.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby burstandbloom » Mon 08.24.2009 1:22 am

damn.. its not the anime obsession that made me seem it was real. i guess im not as seasoned in photoshop as i thought. the way the light falls on it does make it convincing. i knew nothing about the circulation of that picture around the internet, my friend sent me that picture the other day because he knew i was going to japan on thursday.

EDIT: after looking at it more, still to me its not the lighting or "shading" that makes it seem unreal. its clearly not anchored anywhere. doesn't look structurally sound in anyway, haha.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.24.2009 7:21 am

Allow me to settle this once and for all. ;)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=k&ll= ... 5,,0,-1.32

If you look at Google Maps Street View of that very spot, and compare where the giant loli leg and foot would have to be to be in FRONT of the corner lamp post (as you can clearly see her leg overlapping the lamp at this viewing angle), you can see that her giant foot would have to be blocking the entire traffic lane to be in front of the lamp post and closer to the viewer than the lamp.

pantsu-sm.jpg
pantsu-sm.jpg (56.31 KiB) Viewed 3165 times

(See full-size version here.)

To give a sense of this scale, we can compare her left foot to the train cars on the track above, which are E231 series rail cars at 20 meters in length (around 65 feet), which are currently running on the Chūō-Sōbu Line as of February 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C5%AB%C ... %8Dbu_Line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E231_series

Comparing the foot to the car on the track above, we can see that her foot is at least roughly half the length of the train car (being further from the viewer than the trains we would need to adjust a bit for perspective, so it it would actually be slightly larger than the direct line-up I've done below), putting it at around 10 meters, or ~30 feet.

foot-car-size1.jpg
foot-car-size1.jpg (56.47 KiB) Viewed 3165 times

Here is an aerial view of that exact street corner. The viewing angle in the main photo we're discussing is from up the street to the north-west, in traffic, facing the south-east.

train-size1.jpg
train-size1.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 3165 times

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=k&ll= ... 01635&z=20

When we compare that to the actual street view in relation to the fact that it is in FRONT of the corner lamp post, necessarily placing it in the street toward the intersection, we see that the foot would have to extend from just past the curb across all 3 lanes of traffic to the center line, which is roughly 10 meters from the curb.

The most damning evidence is comes from top picture of the 3 angle picture of the same scene.

_menina_manga_japan_metro.jpg
_menina_manga_japan_metro.jpg (99.54 KiB) Viewed 3165 times

This shot shows her right leg in front of the lamp post, and we can see from the real photos of that spot from Google Street View that the lamp post should be very clearly visible exactly where her leg is, so the lamp post MUST be behind her leg in this shot. There is no other place for it, and the main view picture clearly shows that the lamp is visible and behind her leg, not inside of it. (scroll down to see the real front view, a closeup of the main fake picture showing her leg in front of the lamp, the shot of her right leg, and the real side view of that street corner)

where-is-the-lamp.jpg
where-is-the-lamp.jpg (132.28 KiB) Viewed 3165 times

However, when we look at the real photos from Google Street View, we see from the side view that the lamp is on the curb at the side of the road and extends over the road. So her leg would have to be even FARTHER out in the road to be completely directly in front of that lamp as the giant loli photo shows.

right-foot-placement1.jpg
right-foot-placement1.jpg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 3165 times

Finally we have a rough representation of how big her foot would actually be and where it would be placed.

The pink footprint represents where her foot would have to be in the "main" picture that shows all of her, in order to be visible where it is in relation to the lamp post when viewed from the north-west, ie; between the lamp post and the viewer to the north-west (and thus overlapping part of the lamp post) as shown in the main image (pantsu.jpg) shown above.

The light green footprint shows where the footprint would have to be to cover the lamp as described a moment ago, as shown in the original shot of her right leg.

Not only do the footprints not match up in location, but they would clearly be blocking traffic, which you can see flowing in both directions at the bottom of the original image.

Q.E.D. Photoshop.

:mrgreen:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby furrykef » Mon 08.24.2009 7:30 am

You put way too much effort into that. :P
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.24.2009 7:36 am

furrykef wrote:You put way too much effort into that. :P

haha... yeah, you should have seen my commentary in the lounge while I was doing it. ;)

I even said "this is getting absurd" and was laughing. But it was a lot of fun. :D Made my morning.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby keatonatron » Mon 08.24.2009 7:39 am

You could also just notice that her left leg is blurry while the buildings behind it and the cars in front of it are both in perfect focus, and immediately know that it's 'shopped. But your way is good too. :wink:
keatonatron

Postby keatonatron » Mon 08.24.2009 7:39 am

phreadom wrote:haha... yeah, you should have seen my commentary in the lounge while I was doing it. ;)

I even said "this is getting absurd" and was laughing. But it was a lot of fun. :D Made my morning.

So this is what we're paying you for? :cry:
keatonatron

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.24.2009 7:50 am

keatonatron wrote:
phreadom wrote:haha... yeah, you should have seen my commentary in the lounge while I was doing it. ;)

So this is what we're paying you for? :cry:

Of course not. :P

For the record, I showed some friends of mine what I'd been up to this morning, and one of them said: "wikipedia linking to a definition of QED is probably the most pretentious thing I've seen online ever :>"

:(

He said that I should include the Japanese definition as well at the very least. I didn't see the big deal... I figured Japanese people would either know it from http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Q.E.D. (which is, I'm not kidding, where I first really picked up the phrase), or they could just read the English definition. :( But either way... here's the Japanese one: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q.E.D.

Now I feel bad. :( I was just trying to be funny. :P
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby tōkai devotee » Mon 08.24.2009 8:28 am

Ya gotta get a life, phreadom-san!! :lol:

But good effort. That was very entertaining!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby Sairana » Mon 08.24.2009 9:50 am

phreadom wrote:Now I feel bad. :( I was just trying to be funny. :P

Don't feel bad. We all have our nerd moments.... and nerds are hot anyway. ^_^
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan