Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - any history buffs?

any history buffs?

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

Re: any history buffs?

Postby Aikoh » Wed 05.07.2008 8:31 pm

AJBryant wrote:I have to admit to a certain dislike of the Shinsengumi.

Basically, they were governmentally sanctioned thugs and killers. Why do people like that become cult figures? I don't get it. Then again, I don't understand why people liked Tony Soprano...

I'm fascinated by the individuals but I don't necessarily condone what they did. I do realize that they're a controversial group, though, and I do admit that part of their popularity has been created by media like films and manga. What's most curious about is how people gained interest in the group prior to their romanticized images by films and manga since the Tokugawa lost the war.
Aikoh

Postby Mr.Paper » Sat 08.29.2009 1:16 pm

History sucks!
Mr.Paper

Native language: Spanish

Postby astaroth » Sat 08.29.2009 1:27 pm

Mr.Paper wrote:History sucks!

A bit more of articulation of why you think that history sucks would be nice, I think.
I strongly disagree, by the way. I believe history is one of the most important subject studied at school. Without history there is no real understanding of what's happening right here and right now. Without history one can sell and have people buying any silly idea.
It's not surprising that any dictatorship in the world controlled and controls how a history book is written and what parts of history should be taught and how. When I meet fellow Italians who have no idea of what happened to Italy after WW2 till yesteryear or how and why fascism came into being in 1922, I pity them. How can those understand contemporary Italian politics and society?
(I'm talking about Italy as it's what I know the most, but I believe this applies to any country)
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby Mr.Paper » Sat 08.29.2009 1:33 pm

astaroth wrote:

A bit more of articulation of why you think that history sucks would be nice, I think.
I strongly disagree, by the way. I believe history is one of the most important subject studied at school. Without history there is no real understanding of what's happening right here and right now. Without history one can sell and have people buying any silly idea.
It's not surprising that any dictatorship in the world controlled and controls how a history book is written and what parts of history should be taught and how. When I meet fellow Italians who have no idea of what happened to Italy after WW2 till yesteryear or how and why fascism came into being in 1922, I pity them. How can those understand contemporary Italian politics and society?
(I'm talking about Italy as it's what I know the most, but I believe this applies to any country)

Japanese history is boring! Who cares about their politics in the old days if you're not even Japanese. Its not like you're going to be working for Japans' goverment. But I do like to learn how the humans came about in Japan though/geography of Japan.
Mr.Paper

Native language: Spanish

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sat 08.29.2009 7:15 pm

Mr.Paper wrote:
astaroth wrote:

Japanese history is boring! Who cares about their politics in the old days if you're not even Japanese. Its not like you're going to be working for Japans' goverment. But I do like to learn how the humans came about in Japan though/geography of Japan.

And how people came to Japan is not history? You sure seem to wave around your ignorance today.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby phreadom » Sat 08.29.2009 7:25 pm

NocturnalOcean wrote:And how people came to Japan is not history? You sure seem to wave around your ignorance today.

And he got a week long ban for it. Let's hope he learns a lesson from it? :(
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Previous

Return to History and Literature Discussions