Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - No posting links to illegal material! (fansubs, jmusic, etc)

No posting links to illegal material! (fansubs, jmusic, etc)

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

No posting links to illegal material! (fansubs, jmusic, etc)

Postby phreadom » Sun 08.30.2009 1:25 pm

From the Forum Rules:

2: Do not post links to illegal sites (or illegal material, such as fansubs, Japanese music, etc), or sites with mature material. Do not advertise your own sites in the forum or in the shoutbox UNLESS it is relevant to the topic. You may write your website address in your profile and signature.

Posting links to sites where you can download fansubbed anime, manga, torrents, streaming, Japanese music, are all illegal and thus not allowed here. If you want to talk about anime you've seen, manga you've read, or music you've listened to, that's fine.

But you cannot post links to sites where you can download it, stream it, view it online, torrent it, etc.

Repeat offenses will unfortunately result in a ban. :(

Thank you for understanding. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: No posting links to illegal material! (fansubs, jmusic, etc)

Postby Infidel » Sun 08.30.2009 1:43 pm

phreadom wrote:From the Forum Rules:

2: Do not post links to illegal sites (or illegal material, such as fansubs, Japanese music, etc), or sites with mature material. Do not advertise your own sites in the forum or in the shoutbox UNLESS it is relevant to the topic. You may write your website address in your profile and signature.

Posting links to sites where you can download fansubbed anime, manga, torrents, streaming, Japanese music, are all illegal and thus not allowed here. If you want to talk about anime you've seen, manga you've read, or music you've listened to, that's fine.

But you cannot post links to sites where you can download it, stream it, view it online, torrent it, etc.

Repeat offenses will unfortunately result in a ban. :(

Thank you for understanding. :)

Streaming sites are not ALL illegal. If they have permission to stream, then it's legal.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby AJBryant » Sun 08.30.2009 1:51 pm

Ermmm.... yeah.

Some of those links were legit, I believe.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Sun 08.30.2009 2:10 pm

Crunchyroll is now legal, but only as of very recently, and even then questionably so. They simply promised to start being more proactive about removing illegal content after they made the deal to host Naruto Shippuuden (around 8 months ago).

The rest all linked to illegal content, and even suggesting youtube was still to suggest illegal streaming as popular anime isn't legally streamed over youtube as far as I'm aware.

I checked out the rest of the links, and they did in fact link to illegal material.

Nobody mentioned Hulu (except Infidel in a PM to me AFTER I posted that), or any other legal sites.

Arguing that they were somehow legal is about as valid as arguing that linking to the world's biggest bittorrent site (arrr matey) on here would be acceptable because they don't technically host the content, but simply link to other means of obtaining it etc.

So maybe we say "Hulu, and maybe Crunchyroll." or similar. But generally speaking, there is no legal means of viewing popular manga on-line. I'm not sure just how much music is available outside of a few songs on sites like Myspace etc, or legal videos up on youtube etc... and I'm not aware of legal ways of viewing J-dramas legally on-line either.

Generally speaking, most links I see for this type of stuff are for illegal sites to illegal fansubs, or sites that list links of files you can grab of file hosting services etc. And that's what every link in that thread, outside of Crunchyroll, was... and as I've said, even Crunchyroll is still questionable after only promising a few months ago to start being proactive about removing all the illegal content they'd been gleefully hosting long before that, flagrantly disrespecting both the copyright holders AND the fansub groups. (I hate Crunchyroll and have for quite awhile precisely because of that highly disrespectful behavior, and they were perhaps the worst offender. Kind of like some of the manga websites that take the fan translations and actually charge for them... not only violating copyright law, but stealing the free fan translations to make money off!)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 08.30.2009 3:10 pm

Anyway, there are many, many anime and manga forums out there that you can very easily find links to torrents or streaming anime.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Sun 08.30.2009 5:23 pm

Ah, sorry. I thought Hulu was one of the sites mentioned there.

I lost track of what was mentioned here vs elsewhere.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby keatonatron » Sun 08.30.2009 11:52 pm

I think there's kind of a double standard when it comes to Youtube.

We've had the Rahmens sketches posted on here before, and we all enjoyed them. No one brought up the fact that they might be copyrighted.

Also, when it comes to music, just about all major Japanese record labels have an agreement with Youtube to officially post their music videos on the site. Even some bands (including ones I've worked with personally) have official channels where they themselves post live recordings. I don't know about anime though...
keatonatron

Postby Sairana » Mon 08.31.2009 2:31 am

YouTube may end up hosting illegal material, but there are official channels for copyright holders to get the content removed from the site. While it is not a perfect system, for the most part the people/publishers/etc who want their content removed from YouTube manage to do so (often in a very short period of time).

On the other hand, damage control for peer to peer tracking or direct download services is a lot less straightforward. If a website is hosted out of any jurisdiction that cares, or if it can't be reliably tracked down to an owner, a copyright holder may be limited to taking action against websites that encourage or bolster the offending website's traffic.

Given that the reason for disallowing illegal or questionable websites is to keep Clay and TJP out of trouble, I don't really think it's a double standard to allow YouTube links, but ban other sites like peer to peer trackers or direct downloads. If we end up linking to something that the copyright holders don't want distributed, they will have it removed rather swiftly from YouTube, and break our links.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.31.2009 6:49 am

That's pretty much all I'm trying to say. :) (what keat and sairana said.)

I'm not trying to rain on people's parades or be super strict about this. Just trying to cover our butts and show at least a little bit of respect for the "law" (to say nothing of respecting the copyright holders etc). It's times like this when frankly I don't much like having to speak my mind in a more "official" capacity. ;) Because my personal feelings are a little different on the subject.

Use Google and a good dash of common sense and we should all be able to have fun. Youtube stuff would probably slide by just fine (depending)... links to p2p sites or direct download sites would not.

For instance I mentioned youtube and myspace or similar here earlier in regards to music. There are ways to sample things legally.

phreadom wrote:I'm not sure just how much music is available outside of a few songs on sites like Myspace etc, or legal videos up on youtube etc.

I think we're beating a dead horse here at this point. I think everyone gets the general idea. ;) Use common sense, don't blatantly promote piracy, and we can all carry on enjoying things. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.31.2009 12:50 pm

Rule #20 of the TJP Forum Etiquette guide:

TJP WagaWiki wrote:20. Please respect copyrights by not posting song lyrics or anything else that falls beyond the bounds of Fair Use. Don't recommend sites knows for pirating, or recommend others use any extra legal means to aquire materials they desire. 著作権に配慮しましょう。

JASRACが権利を持つ歌詞の引用は特に厳しい対応が予想され、サイト運営者の責任が問われる可能性もあります。質問者の引用が著作権に抵触するか否か判断の上で対応をお願いします。同様に質問する際にも著作権にご配慮ください。
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby AJBryant » Mon 08.31.2009 5:24 pm

I must admit I kind of miss our pirate smiley from the Old Days. P)
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.31.2009 5:29 pm

haha... I'm putting together an expanded set right now which will be the old round smilies.

I'm trying to make them all a matching set right now, but if you can find me a pirate smiley, I can see about either adding it to the set, or making a custom one that matches the ones I already have. :)

The end days of the alien head shaped smilies is drawing nigh!
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 08.31.2009 6:41 pm

phreadom wrote:The end days of the alien head shaped smilies is drawing nigh!

Yeah! I don't really like these egghead ones, except this guy: :twisted:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby clay » Mon 08.31.2009 8:52 pm

E.T. phone home!
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Tue 09.01.2009 12:35 pm

phreadom wrote:Crunchyroll is now legal, but only as of very recently, and even then questionably so. They simply promised to start being more proactive about removing illegal content after they made the deal to host Naruto Shippuuden (around 8 months ago).

The rest all linked to illegal content, and even suggesting youtube was still to suggest illegal streaming as popular anime isn't legally streamed over youtube as far as I'm aware.

I checked out the rest of the links, and they did in fact link to illegal material.

Nobody mentioned Hulu (except Infidel in a PM to me AFTER I posted that), or any other legal sites.

Arguing that they were somehow legal is about as valid as arguing that linking to the world's biggest bittorrent site (arrr matey) on here would be acceptable because they don't technically host the content, but simply link to other means of obtaining it etc.

So maybe we say "Hulu, and maybe Crunchyroll." or similar. But generally speaking, there is no legal means of viewing popular manga on-line. I'm not sure just how much music is available outside of a few songs on sites like Myspace etc, or legal videos up on youtube etc... and I'm not aware of legal ways of viewing J-dramas legally on-line either.

Generally speaking, most links I see for this type of stuff are for illegal sites to illegal fansubs, or sites that list links of files you can grab of file hosting services etc. And that's what every link in that thread, outside of Crunchyroll, was... and as I've said, even Crunchyroll is still questionable after only promising a few months ago to start being proactive about removing all the illegal content they'd been gleefully hosting long before that, flagrantly disrespecting both the copyright holders AND the fansub groups. (I hate Crunchyroll and have for quite awhile precisely because of that highly disrespectful behavior, and they were perhaps the worst offender. Kind of like some of the manga websites that take the fan translations and actually charge for them... not only violating copyright law, but stealing the free fan translations to make money off!)

My only issue was making the umbrella statement that all streaming sites are illegal. The statement wasn't, "All streaming sites linked." but "all streaming sites". If we can admit that there are such things as legal streaming, then I've no problem. And I've no problem with mods making judgement calls on which links to remove, it was just the ....well you know me. Whenever a superlative or some other all inclusive term is used, my mental antennae perk up.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 09.01.2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Next

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions