Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Translation help

Translation help

Do you have a translation question?

Translation help

Postby leonl » Mon 08.31.2009 8:34 pm

お元気ですか。夏休みはどうですか。私はとてもリラックスしています。1週間に五日、プールへ行って、およいでいます。それから、ゴルフもよくしています。本を読むことも好きなので、読書もしています。夏休みは本とうにいいですね

This is part of an email our Japanese Professor sent us today. The bolded part is giving me somet trouble. This is what i've come up with, but it doesnt sound quite right to me


One week i went to the pool, I swam for five days?

thanks
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
User avatar
leonl
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu 06.26.2008 6:42 pm
Native language: 英語
Gender: Male

Re: Translation help

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 08.31.2009 8:40 pm

leonl wrote:お元気ですか。夏休みはどうですか。私はとてもリラックスしています。1週間に五日、プールへ行って、およいでいます。それから、ゴルフもよくしています。本を読むことも好きなので、読書もしています。夏休みは本とうにいいですね

This is part of an email our Japanese Professor sent us today. The bolded part is giving me somet trouble. This is what i've come up with, but it doesnt sound quite right to me


One week i went to the pool, I swam for five days?


およいでいます is not past tense, so it can't be "went" and "swam". Note what the 間 in 1週間 means, and think about what "I swim for five days" might mean in relation to the span of a week.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Translation help

Postby leonl » Mon 08.31.2009 8:55 pm

I thought about some more and came up with this

For five days out of the week i go and swim?


I dont know what is about this sentence , that is making it hard for me. Once I looked up kanji and words I didn't know in the rest of the email I was able to understand it ok
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
User avatar
leonl
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu 06.26.2008 6:42 pm
Native language: 英語
Gender: Male

Re: Translation help

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 08.31.2009 8:58 pm

leonl wrote:I thought about some more and came up with this

For five days out of the week i go and swim?


You got it.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Translation help

Postby leonl » Mon 08.31.2009 8:59 pm

Thank you for the help
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
User avatar
leonl
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu 06.26.2008 6:42 pm
Native language: 英語
Gender: Male

Re: Translation help

Postby furrykef » Mon 08.31.2009 11:50 pm

Does it mean "five days a week", or does it mean "five days out of a particular week"? (Or is it another one of those annoying context-dependent things...?)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: Translation help

Postby NocturnalOcean » Tue 09.01.2009 1:19 am

furrykef wrote:Does it mean "five days a week", or does it mean "five days out of a particular week"? (Or is it another one of those annoying context-dependent things...?)


1週間に五日 This pattern of using に is a general pattern for expressing general frequency.

一週間に三回
一ヶ月に四日

and so forth
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon 03.12.2007 12:43 pm
Native language: Norwegian

Re: Translation help

Postby NileCat » Tue 09.01.2009 1:45 am

furrykef wrote: (Or is it another one of those annoying context-dependent things...?)

Don't worry, furrykef.
It ALWAYS means "five days a week". :D
User avatar
NileCat
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: Japanese


Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests