Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Beautiful, My Beautiful in Romaji

Beautiful, My Beautiful in Romaji

Do you have a translation question?

Re: Beautiful, My Beautiful in Romaji

Postby furrykef » Tue 09.01.2009 5:49 am

tokai devotee wrote:Very well put, Kef, but I think your efforts may be in vain. I doubt that the OP will be back to read your post.

Possibly not, but y'never know. I'd hate to lose somebody over such a silly thing.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 09.01.2009 7:39 am

furrykef wrote:
Possibly not, but y'never know. I'd hate to lose somebody over such a silly thing.

You're right there.
I hope he doesn't leave over it. He may be back but from the way he wrote SAYONARA, it seemed kind of like goodbye forever.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby astaroth » Tue 09.01.2009 9:53 am

tokai devotee wrote:I hope he doesn't leave over it. He may be back but from the way he wrote SAYONARA, it seemed kind of like goodbye forever.

Though he might simply not know that sayonara is more farewell than goodbye ...
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby furrykef » Thu 09.03.2009 9:36 pm

I've PMed him to see if I could get him to change his mind about leaving.

- Kef
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby phreadom » Thu 09.03.2009 9:42 pm

furrykef wrote:I've PMed him to see if I could get him to change his mind about leaving.

- Kef

I sent him an email the other day when this was happening, trying to explain it and ask him back.

No response. :(
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby AJBryant » Fri 09.04.2009 11:46 am

He did show up in the About Japanese forum.

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.asp ... &tid=10346

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Fri 09.04.2009 4:07 pm

Yeah, SS popped out of the woodwork on here the other day to point that out to me. :)

Once I'd read through it and saw just how far off base this guy really was, I gave up on trying to reason with him. :(

Sad, but he's really set in his ways, refuses to see that he was mistaken in any way, and accuses us of grievously insulting him etc... which are quite the stretches at the very least. :( And even had his mistakenly believed that, the problem is that he refuses to acknowledge any explanation other than us all being horrible evil mean fascists or something. :(

Ah well... can't win 'em all I guess. *sigh* (but ya can't say I, or others here, didn't try.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby furrykef » Fri 09.04.2009 8:13 pm

Ha ha ha, oh man. When I said, "I put a lot of effort into my response, and I see it wasn't exactly appreciated," I had no idea what an understatement that actually was. So now I'm a "pompous twat" and I was "accusing him of being sleazy". He didn't understand that when I said:

furrykef wrote:If you greet a stranger with "Hey there, beautiful!", it might come off as either charming or sleazy depending on how you say it, and who you say it to. How can you be sure you'd handle it with grace in Japanese? Heck, how would you know if it can be handled with grace in Japanese?

I was using it as an example. Sheesh. Some people.

If he's gonna be that way then I guess I can't say I'm too sorry to see him go.

- Kef
furrykef

Postby ss » Fri 09.04.2009 9:37 pm

.......I was rebuked by a bunch of pompous gaijins

I don’t know him for sure, and I have no prejudice against anyone, I just felt disturbed when I read “a bunch of pompous gaijins”, that’s the only reason I popped up and chatted with Phreadom. I was curious was someone really a 50++ man or just a teenager?

And, personally (not against anyone), I really don't like that kind of behavior. As I said before, whoever find this forum not suitable, there are tons of forums out there waiting for you, just don't leave one place and pass the old issues to another, that's definitely not a nice thing to do.

And, ya know me, I like most of the people here and don't find them wrong when they are rendering very sincere and honest opinions for our own good sake. That's one thing I will never forget about their kindness.

----
I know there are many members here also participate in About.com forums. Surprised to see Yudan and Phreadom popped up yesterday, and this morning we had furrykef. 8)
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby furrykef » Fri 09.04.2009 10:08 pm

SS wrote:Surprised to see Yudan and Phreadom popped up yesterday, and this morning we had furrykef. 8)

I didn't post, though, I just popped in to read that thread. I thought about responding, but I found no real reason to do so.

Usually when I go to the about.com forums, it's usually the Spanish/Italian ones, and even then very rarely. ^^; I guess I figure this forum and WordReference adequately cover Japanese for me.

Where have you been, anyway? :)

- Kef
furrykef

Postby ss » Fri 09.04.2009 11:07 pm

Awful lot of workload for the second half year has driven me mentally fatigue, plus, I've signed up a 2kyuu preparation course, every Tuesday and Friday evening, class will end on Mid November. TJP and About.com are the only language forums I participate in. I read all the posts here every day even though I hardly chime in. I don't like responding too slowly with people if I posted here, that's something bad about me. Just dropping one or two posts in About.com as the pace there is much slower.

I was indeed very angry with Phreadom <CUT> It's over. I probably know him a little better after that day's conversation, and I just want to take this opportunity to apologize to people I have offended.

I've learned a lot these day. Nothing good come out when we react against someone who is in a negative state. It will only trigger anger and add impulsive response from that person. And, nasty people can really create a downward spiral mess just for the sake of revenging. It's not worth spending energy on negativity, as I think people are entitled to their opinions as we are, if we choose to participate in public forums.

Edit:
Congrats Harisenbon, Yudan and Becki. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Phreadom and everyone for making this forum a pleasant place.
I'm a memory keeper, I miss those good old days having Tanuki, Txkun, Caroline ............
Last edited by ss on Fri 09.11.2009 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby phreadom » Sat 09.05.2009 12:32 am

I'm very glad to see you back Shirley. :)

I'm really not that bad, or at least I try not to be. :D

(We just added Becki, Yudan, Harisenbon... so I must not be that worried about grabbing power.) ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby mbridge » Sat 09.05.2009 10:03 am

Oh ...lol

and here I was avoiding this thread because I thought it would be a long winded post featuring a romanized version of the Kawabata's speech Utsukushii Nihon no Watashi (Beautiful Japan and Myself). Sometimes I swear college has done more harm than good...

Anyway OP, maybe you can find a simpler way to tell your penpal that you apperciate her appearance, like "You're pretty" or soemthing like that. I bet even babblefish could translate that.
mbridge

Native language: American English

Postby furrykef » Sat 09.05.2009 11:53 am

mbridge wrote:Anyway OP, maybe you can find a simpler way to tell your penpal that you apperciate her appearance, like "You're pretty" or soemthing like that. I bet even babblefish could translate that.

OP's a lost cause. I'd be very surprised if he comes back.
furrykef

Postby astaroth » Sat 09.05.2009 12:49 pm

But I think the question might have some interesting aspects that might be interesting discussing ...
I think it's impossible (as many others have said) to literally translate the expression without ending up looking like a jock (and by the way saying Ciao bella does sound like cat-calling in Italian 97% of the times), but such expression in English, I think, conveys some sort of familiarity between the parties.
What would be the appropriate way to render this familiarity? Calling the person by the first name? dropping the suffix but keeping calling them by the last name? Or maybe none of the above? ...

I doubt I will ever be in this situation and I'll keep using -san ... for life :lol: ... but me just trying understanding something more ...

Thanks!
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

PreviousNext

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion