Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Looking for listening comphension aids

Looking for listening comphension aids

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: Looking for listening comphension aids

Postby phreadom » Sun 08.23.2009 5:27 am

I look forward to being at that level. :) Right now I'm still working toward the JLPT4 level. :(

But I do think that watching a lot of J-dramas has helped my listening comprehension a bit.

One day at a time. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby nukemarine » Sat 08.29.2009 11:43 pm

phreadom wrote:I look forward to being at that level. :) Right now I'm still working toward the JLPT4 level. :(

But I do think that watching a lot of J-dramas has helped my listening comprehension a bit.

One day at a time. ;)

It's not that high of a level. I think at 300 study hours (learn basic 1000 kanji, basic 1000 words, basic grammar points eq of JLPT3) one can begin mining/comprehending dramas in a systematic manner without hitting as many road blocks. Granted, getting that 300 hours can take a few weeks (or months in my case) depending on how much you study per day.

I have listened to lots of J-dramas, and I found dramas I understood fully helped my listening much more than listening to dramas I liked and understood a bit.
nukemarine

Postby phreadom » Sun 08.30.2009 5:30 am

Unfortunately as I study very little each day, I've been at this for around 3 years I think and have made very little progress. :( I'm trying to increase my study time though in hopes that I can pass the JLPT4 this year.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby nukemarine » Sun 08.30.2009 6:45 am

phreadom wrote:Unfortunately as I study very little each day, I've been at this for around 3 years I think and have made very little progress. :( I'm trying to increase my study time though in hopes that I can pass the JLPT4 this year.

Aye, I also study pretty slow. It's probably the reason I was able to notice benefits from listening to an hour of a drama I had fully dissected.

You probably already know this, but if you're like me and study slow the use of an SRS is a god send. It helps you retain information so that work done 2 years ago is not lost effort. However, that means you want to create listening aids as early as possible. Listening can be trained/tuned while you're not studying, so that can only help.
nukemarine

Postby phreadom » Sun 08.30.2009 7:17 am

nukemarine wrote:Aye, I also study pretty slow. It's probably the reason I was able to notice benefits from listening to an hour of a drama I had fully dissected.

You probably already know this, but if you're like me and study slow the use of an SRS is a god send. It helps you retain information so that work done 2 years ago is not lost effort. However, that means you want to create listening aids as early as possible. Listening can be trained/tuned while you're not studying, so that can only help.

Well, I recently started using Anki (a week or so ago?) to help me learn the JLPT4 kanji and vocabulary. I think I have the meanings for all 80 kanji, but I don't know all the On and Kun readings etc. I'm much farther behind on the vocabulary. :(

I tend to watch a lot of the J-dramas and try to read things here on the forum and in the chat to try to use what I've learned, and I notice as I slowly start to understand more... little by little. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby スーゼン » Sun 09.06.2009 11:47 am

Greetings! (^_^)b

I'm totally new to this forum. I think I've found a new place to hang out! -- uh-oh, could be detrimental to my studies :D

I'm trudging along through beg-intermediate. I thought I was past the JLPT level 3, but I tested myself with my "goukaku dekiru 3-4 kyuu" book today, (as if I were taking the JLPT) and I still make too many mistakes -- even after six years of self-study.

Listening comprehension? I like doing dictation. I usually use my language CDs but after reading the posts here I'm really liking this idea of using dramas. The only problem is, I haven't seen any. The DVD sets are pretty pricey at YesAsia, aren't they. Where do you guys get them?

I've never really given much thought to listening to native-level material, because I've only been able to comprehend about a fraction of what's said (Fuji News Network = 1% ). Not enough to learn much. Now I think I'd like to give dramas a try. Suggestions where I could sample some?
スーゼン

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Sun 09.06.2009 12:10 pm

スーゼン wrote:Suggestions where I could sample some?

Jdorama is a good database to try and find something that suits your interests. Probably want to start with the top 50 and work your way from there.

As for where to sample some, I'm sure you could find clips of most dramas on YouTube. If you decide you like one enough, you could probably import the DVDs.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Infidel » Sun 09.06.2009 12:42 pm

Keyhole TV Watch TV Tokyo, TV Asahi, Fuji TV, and a bunch of others live.

poor compression, but it's free, totally legal, and fine for listening.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby スーゼン » Sun 09.06.2009 3:04 pm

Hi,

thank you both for the tips! I've been looking over dramas for the past hour. Keyhole TV looks good, but I can't catch much at all :shock: . It's still really entertaining!

I found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujgHlIDM ... re=related

Japanesepod101 videos on YouTube with subtitles. The actors speak slower and -- probably not the way they'd normally speak -- in complete sentences! Japanese language as it's really spoken is full of ellipses. They leave a lot out of their speech. I guess that's why I have to watch videos geared for foreign language learning and not the native stuff. I'll get there some day!
スーゼン

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips