Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 蚊に刺された

蚊に刺された

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

蚊に刺された

Postby burstandbloom » Sat 09.12.2009 6:49 am

Am I right in saying that the mosquitos here are different than they are in America in terms of looks and size? Not only that the bites seem to be much worse. I keep getting bit, mostly when I'm sleeping I think because I never notice it happening I just wake up with them. I got bit twice in my arm and its very swollen by the bite. I asked the RA where to get some medicine for it, but I think most places are close now. She didn't come off as if it looked like a big deal so hopefully it'll be alright, it just blew me away at how much more it swells up than bites I've gotten in the states. Anyone know good ointments or anything for bites here?
Thanks
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Re: 蚊に刺された

Postby inuinu » Sat 09.12.2009 7:06 am

ムヒ or キンカン?

私はアメリカの蚊がどのようなものか知らないので
「アメリカの蚊」で検索してみたら、こんなブログがトップにありましたよ。
http://climarathon.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-66.html
これくらい腫れているというなら、異国で体が慣れていないということが原因かも知れませんね。
tasukeru kotoga dekiru nara
tasuketai to omou.
dakedo eigo ha nigate.
inuinu

Postby keatonatron » Sat 09.12.2009 8:23 am

Maybe it's not mosquitos, but spiders or something else? Spider bites seem to swell more than mosquito bites, and if you haven't noticed mosquitos flying around your room it's probably spiders :wink:
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby NileCat » Sat 09.12.2009 8:38 am

That's too bad.
The popular one is ムヒ(a small tube) or キンカン(a small bottle) as inuinu said.
But I'm not sure if they are available at convenience stores near by.
If you couldn't find anything, try マキロン. It's only a disinfectant liquid spray though, I'm pretty sure you can find it at those convenience stores. It' d be better than nothing.

EDIT:
Wait! I forgot that you spoke Japanese well. You can just ask コンビニのおじさんに 「虫刺されの薬ありますか?」と聞けばいいと思いますよ!
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby JaySee » Sat 09.12.2009 9:31 am

I don't know how well European and American mosquitos compare, but my experience in Japan with mosquito bites (if that's what they were) was pretty much the same as yours: the places I got bit swelled up much more than what I was used to in Holland. Apart from the fact that they were quite itchy however, the bites didn't really bother me and after a week or so they were pretty much gone.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby keatonatron » Sat 09.12.2009 10:43 pm

JaySee wrote:and after a week or so they were pretty much gone.

They lasted for a week? :shock:

The bites I get only last for 30 minutes or so...

But Japanese cockroaches, those things are crazy. I once had two of them FLYING around my room and freaking me the hell out. It's bad enough when they're on the ground, but when they're over your head and liable to fall on you at any minute? I was walking around holding a piece of cardboard over my head and a broom in my hand...
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Sat 09.12.2009 11:38 pm

keatonatron wrote:They lasted for a week? :shock:

The bites I get only last for 30 minutes or so...

Dunno anything about Japanese vs. American mosquitos, but the bites I get do tend to last quite a while -- a couple of days is probably the minimum for me. I rarely get bit anymore, though, probably because I rarely leave the house. :lol:

I think how long mosquito bites last is very variable from person to person, though, as well as how frequently you get bit in the first place.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby JaySee » Sun 09.13.2009 6:17 am

If your bites are gone after 30 minutes, they most likely aren't mosquito bites. Like Furrykef, the bites I get last at least a couple of days, both here in Holland as well as in Japan.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby furrykef » Sun 09.13.2009 6:27 am

I dunno, I think my stepdad's mosquito bites don't last very long at all. Maybe not quite as short as 30 minutes, though.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby furrykef » Sat 09.26.2009 11:39 pm

Today I had to mow the back yard. I came back in, sat down, and noticed on my left arm that there was a big patch of about a dozen mosquito bites! Now it's only four hours later and I'd almost completely forgotten them; I checked and only a couple are still visible, and even then not very much. So I guess I got lucky today.

- Kef
furrykef

Postby coco » Mon 03.08.2010 10:01 am

I was really wondering if it was a mosquito or not.
But I thought we missed the chance to find the answer since you didn't come back to TJP.
Now I see you are back.» Fri 02.26.2010 6:06 am

It would be so nice to learn what it was.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 03.09.2010 4:47 pm

coco wrote:I was really wondering if it was a mosquito or not.
But I thought we missed the chance to find the answer since you didn't come back to TJP.
Now I see you are back.» Fri 02.26.2010 6:06 am

It would be so nice to learn what it was.

I'm always here, just don't always post. :)

There is no way of knowing 100%, but I'm positive that it was. The swelling went down in a day or so and it wasn't too bad.
So my impression is that mosquito bites here for the most part swell up more than they do where I'm from (in that part of America anyway) and if my memory serves me correctly they look different too.
Wow, that seems like such a distant memory (the mosquito bite), seems like I've been in Japan forever. Pains me to know that I have to leave soon. :(
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Re: 蚊に刺された+ i が e の前

Postby coco » Tue 03.09.2010 7:42 pm

burstandbloom wrote:I'm always here, just don't always post. :)

I am sorry. I should have looked at the date you joined TJP.
すみません。BurstandbloomさんがTJPに加入した日付を見るべきでしたね。

Thank you for your reply.
I've experienced several bites of insects, such as mosquitoes(蚊), fleas(ノミ), mites(ダニ), a chigger(ツツガムシ), and a bee(ハチ).

In my experience, if mosquitoes try to bite you at night, it's hard to keep sleeping since they make frustrating tone. So I inwardly expected you to tell us that it wasn't mosquito bites.
There is no way of knowing 100%, but I'm positive that it was. The swelling went down in a day or so and it wasn't too bad.

Anyway, it was good for you. :)

Wow, that seems like such a distant memory (the mosquito bite), seems like I've been in Japan forever. Pains me to know that I have to leave soon. :(

いつご帰国(?)の予定ですか?

By the way, your signature "cの後ろ以外ではiがeの前。" has helped me very much. I hadn't known that until I saw it in your post to other threads quite a while ago. I am, however, still confused and misspell "foreign", "neighbor".
Can you say "g の前とc の後ろ以外ではi がe の前。"?
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby chikara » Tue 03.09.2010 9:19 pm

coco wrote:..... By the way, your signature "cの後ろ以外ではiがeの前。" has helped me very much. I hadn't known that until I saw it in your post to other threads quite a while ago. I am, however, still confused and misspell "foreign", "neighbor".
Can you say "g の前とc の後ろ以外ではi がe の前。"?

There is an alternative version to "I before E except after C" which is "I before E except after C or when sounded like A as in neighbour and weigh".

There are also numerous exceptions to both those rules, for example "fancied", "species", "being" and "caffeine".
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Re: 蚊に刺された+ i が e の前

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 03.10.2010 12:25 am

coco wrote:Can you say "g の前とc の後ろ以外ではi がe の前。"?

This video from merriam-webster might help you. (or drive you insane)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/video/0003-ibeforee.htm
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan