Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Pronunciations?

Pronunciations?

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Pronunciations?

Postby Aiyoku » Mon 11.28.2005 1:19 am

I have these following word segments pronounced plenty of different ways.. and I need to know which way is right.
えい
あい
おい
いえ
いあ

ありがと!
ーまたね!

。。。あいよく。。。
Aiyoku

RE: Pronunciations?

Postby mandolin » Mon 11.28.2005 1:40 am

Wonder why all the vowel questions of late... it makes me think there's some site out there that completely ignores pronounciation or something.... anyway...

Starting with the basics...
あ is 'a' as in 'father'
い is 'i' said 'ee' as in 'feet'
う is 'u' said 'oo' as in 'toot'
え is 'e' as in 'pet'
お is 'o' as in 'note'

All characters in japanese are spoken in the same length of time, so 'ee' doesn't sound any longer than 'a' and so forth. I learned to say them clipped extremely short to help me keep from elongating them like I do in english.

There are a couple of vowel combinations that, when spoken in colloquial japanese, are a little off from what you might expect.

えい will often sound like ええ (not stuttered, just an elongated 'e' sound)
おう will often sound like おお (same as 'e' above.. elongated)

The rest of them are pronounced as in the key above.

あい - ah-ee. When spoken naturally, it does sound like 'eye' and if you say it that way, I've been told that it's no different to the japanese ear. Except that it's two 'beats', so to speak, instead of just one.

おい - o-ee
いえ - ee-e
いあ - ee-a

How have you heard these pronounced?
mandolin

Postby Aiyoku » Mon 11.28.2005 4:59 am

Well, you knocked three of my list.
Vut in many cases I've heards names and some words that ended in おい Weren’t pronunced as o−ee.Is there a rule if they’re at the end?

ありがと ございます

。。。あいよく。。。
Aiyoku

Postby mandolin » Mon 11.28.2005 4:45 pm

As far as I know, they are spoken how they're written, you still haven't said what you mean by hearing them differently, because they're always said just as they're written.

If you could explain the difference in what you think it sounds like, might be able to provide more help.

As it is, it seems that perhaps you're trying to think of them as syllables (like 'ai' sounding like 'eye'). Addressing this goes into things like the difference between a morae and a syllable. 'ai' in japanese is two morae, 'eye' in english is one syllable.

oi in japanese is two morae, but an exclamation of oi is considered one syllable in english (and whatever other syllabic languages that use the utterance are).

Without some sort of reference to go on, all I can do is throw out random guesses as to what you mean, or what sort of explanation will help you...
mandolin

Postby Aiyoku » Mon 11.28.2005 7:51 pm

Oooh.
I settled it myself, thank you anyway :)

I had my french teacher clear it up fir me =S
Aiyoku

Postby Infidel » Mon 11.28.2005 11:15 pm

Aiyoku wrote:
Oooh.
I settled it myself, thank you anyway :)

I had my french teacher clear it up fir me =S

Naturally, that would be the first person I asked myself.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)