Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Mr.ジェームス

Mr.ジェームス

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Mr.ジェームス

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 09.15.2009 12:19 pm

Now it's just going to be all that much harder to teach Japanese people that Mr. + first name is wrong. :(
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 09.15.2009 12:24 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Now it's just going to be all that much harder to teach Japanese people that Mr. + first name is wrong. :(

James could be a last name... I doubt that's what they were going for here, but just saying.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby keatonatron » Tue 09.15.2009 2:35 pm

Most people don't realize that it is my first name :?

Probably because a) people often go by just their last names here, and b) they aren't familiar with what names are first names and what names are last names.

I introduced a friend of mine who is also named James, and I was met with "Oh, are you brothers??" :|
keatonatron

Postby chikara » Wed 09.16.2009 2:30 am

keatonatron wrote:..... it's hard to distinguish between people from the US, England, Germany, etc. All white people look like the ones in the movies, so they must be American!

The first time I was in Tokyo there were quite a number of Germans staying in the same hotel. I felt a bit sorry for them because all of the staff seemed to assume that as they were westerners they must speak English.

keatonatron wrote:..... Although, people always guess that I'm from Europe (England mostly). Maybe it's because I'm not fat :lol:

My wife is a fifth or sixth generation Aussie of Irish decent and she is often asked in Australia what part of England she is from. :oops:

I think it's because she speaks proper.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby AJBryant » Wed 09.16.2009 3:10 am

chikara wrote:My wife is a fifth or sixth generation Aussie of Irish decent

Ooooh, man... that says *so* much right there. :)

I love this song: http://www.wincingdevil.com/Hymnal/Son_ ... ndrel.html

I think it's because she speaks proper.

What? Speakest thou ill of Strine, thou upstart wanker, thou!
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Wed 09.16.2009 3:29 am

AJBryant wrote:Ooooh, man... that says *so* much right there. :)

Her lot came out as free settlers. The first of my family arrived in Sydney Cove as a guest of His Majesty William IV.

AJBryant wrote:What? Speakest thou ill of Strine, thou upstart wanker, thou!

Fair suck of the sav mate. You come across as flash as a rat with a gold tooth speaking like that and calling a bloke like me a wanker. ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby keatonatron » Wed 09.16.2009 4:31 am

chikara wrote:The first time I was in Tokyo there were quite a number of Germans staying in the same hotel. I felt a bit sorry for them because all of the staff seemed to assume that as they were westerners they must speak English.

Well, in the hotel staff's defense... I doubt any of the staff could speak German, so the only options are Japanese and English. And I'm sure there's a much bigger chance the Germans speak English than Japanese.

By the way, I was just in Germany a month ago, and everyone I met spoke very good English :wink:

Now, if the Germans tried speaking Japanese to the staff and were met with only English replies... :x
keatonatron

Postby chikara » Wed 09.16.2009 4:49 am

keatonatron wrote:Well, in the hotel staff's defense... I doubt any of the staff could speak German, so the only options are Japanese and English. And I'm sure there's a much bigger chance the Germans speak English than Japanese. ...

Good point. Most of the Germans I have met have reasonable English.
chikara

Postby AJBryant » Wed 09.16.2009 8:58 pm

chikara wrote:
AJBryant wrote:Ooooh, man... that says *so* much right there. :)

Her lot came out as free settlers. The first of my family arrived in Sydney Cove as a guest of His Majesty William IV.

Interesting.

Though it seems to be a pop culture thing (as witness the song) I often wonder if that popularly conceived background isn't part of why Aussies tend to get painted as a bit wild and wooly (especially when looking at WW1 and WW2 documentaries and talking about the Anzac units under orders in Europe). Fascinating stuff.

AJBryant wrote:What? Speakest thou ill of Strine, thou upstart wanker, thou!

Fair suck of the sav mate. You come across as flash as a rat with a gold tooth speaking like that and calling a bloke like me a wanker. ;)

I have been fair dinkum pwned.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Wed 09.16.2009 10:12 pm

AJBryant wrote:.... Though it seems to be a pop culture thing (as witness the song) I often wonder if that popularly conceived background isn't part of why Aussies tend to get painted as a bit wild and wooly (especially when looking at WW1 and WW2 documentaries and talking about the Anzac units under orders in Europe).....

There was certainly a lot of the larrikin element within the Aussie troops in both World Wars but I believe a lot of that came from the fact that, especially in WW1, Australia was largely a rural nation with few big cities, certainly no big cities by European or American standards, and therefore your average digger was probably less "refined" and certainly more laid back than soldiers in the other armies involved. Due to the great distances involved rural life was pretty hard going before the advent of modern transport and the development of infrastructure. People were very self reliant and they worked hard and played hard. It is probably this rather than any convict heritage that contributed to the "stereotypical" Aussie character.

Keep in mind too that the Aussie troops fighting in Europe were 100% volunteers. Many were there for the "adventure".

You also have to put into perspective the type of crimes for which people, especially those in British occupied Ireland, were transported to Australia. My ancestor was a farmer who got seven years (no previous offence) for assault which was probably little more than a barney at the local pub. So while it is popular to paint them all as rogues and scoundrels many of the convicts sent to Australia would probably only get a few hours community service today, if anything.

Someone once told me that America got the puritans and Australia got the convicts and Australia was the winner. ;)

As with Macca's Mr.ジェームス it is often difficult for people to separate the stereotype from the real thing.
chikara

Postby AJBryant » Wed 09.16.2009 10:27 pm

Good point.

"Australia: The original asbo."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 09.16.2009 11:15 pm

??ASBO?? :?

Do you mean Anti Social Behaviour Order?
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby AJBryant » Thu 09.17.2009 2:20 am

That's the only asbo I know of.

Today, you get an ASBO. In 1700, you got shipped off to Oz.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby burstandbloom » Sun 09.20.2009 1:55 pm

chikara wrote:Good point. Most of the Germans I have met have reasonable English.

Here at Kansai Gaidai every international student from another country, whether it be South Korea, Egypt, Germany, Sweden, etc. speak English very well. I was surprised and not surprised at the same time.
But the McDonalds thing... when i first went there to get food I felt like, im coming off as such a westerner because for whatever reason i actually went to the same mcdonalds three days in a row ( i know right?) so they must have thought, what a typical american... but the fact that i had to ask for ketchup in a MCDONALDS (three at that) made me feel like, they must really think i'm a crazy western mcdonalds lover. blows me away coming from American that you have to do that at a mcdonalds, haha.
Speaking of McDonalds , I hear that having a job at mcdonalds doesn't really hold the same connotation that is does in the states, where its like, "mcdonalds is the worse job in the world", "oh yeah, he/she works at mcdonalds".
i hear its not like that here. its not a bad thing at all. is this right? i don't know about minimum wage or anything here, i guess thats why i ask.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby Pork Chop » Tue 09.22.2009 3:19 pm

macdonald's is far from the worst job in the world in the US
in fact it's not a bad route if you plan on eventually getting management experience
working at walmart is WAY WORSE
Pork Chop

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan