Unrecognized Chinese Character

Do you have a translation question?
Post Reply
User avatar
astaroth
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon 12.22.2008 5:08 am
Native language: Italiano「伊語」
Location: Amherst, MA
Contact:

Unrecognized Chinese Character

Post by astaroth » Mon 09.21.2009 8:23 am

Hi everybody,
while in Italy, my mother asked me to "translate" a Chinese character shown on a pendant she has.
The pendant is from Thailand and shows on the backside a Chinese character. I tried to find it on denshi jisho without luck (honestly I'm not even sure of the strokes ...)

A picture is attached.
I hope you guys can help me, thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1436.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG (94.15 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
ー 流光 ー

   花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 

NileCat
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Native language: Japanese
Location: Tokyo

Re: Unrecognized Chinese Character

Post by NileCat » Mon 09.21.2009 8:45 am

It's 「寿」(ことぶき).

NocturnalOcean
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon 03.12.2007 12:43 pm
Native language: Norwegian

Re: Unrecognized Chinese Character

Post by NocturnalOcean » Mon 09.21.2009 8:48 am

NileCat wrote:It's 「寿」(ことぶき).
Reading is kotobuki, but didn't you mean to show the kanji in the picture as it was written in picture 壽(though 寿 is the normal one).
失敗は成功の元

NileCat
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Native language: Japanese
Location: Tokyo

Re: Unrecognized Chinese Character

Post by NileCat » Mon 09.21.2009 9:02 am

NocturnalOcean wrote:
NileCat wrote:It's 「寿」(ことぶき).
Reading is kotobuki, but didn't you mean to show the kanji in the picture as it was written in picture 壽(though 寿 is the normal one).
You're right.
But the character in the picture is definitely Chinese. So I translated it into modern Japanese kanji character which anyone can look up in any dictionary. :wink:

User avatar
Minarai
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue 08.21.2007 7:20 am
Native language: Italiano
Location: Dulcis Parthenope - Naples

Re: Unrecognized Chinese Character

Post by Minarai » Mon 09.21.2009 12:58 pm

If you want to read the Chinese character "壽" , spell it as "shòu" :D
Oooh it's always the same...c'mon Zenigata!Let me go, I'm just a gentleman!Good bye paparino!

...Make a better world, that's for you and me...

User avatar
astaroth
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon 12.22.2008 5:08 am
Native language: Italiano「伊語」
Location: Amherst, MA
Contact:

Re: Unrecognized Chinese Character

Post by astaroth » Mon 09.21.2009 1:13 pm

Thank you guys! You're the best.
My mother will be so happy to know ... I'll tell her right now ...
NileCat wrote:
NocturnalOcean wrote:
NileCat wrote:It's 「寿」(ことぶき).
Reading is kotobuki, but didn't you mean to show the kanji in the picture as it was written in picture 壽(though 寿 is the normal one).
You're right.
But the character in the picture is definitely Chinese. So I translated it into modern Japanese kanji character which anyone can look up in any dictionary. :wink:
I imagined it was traditional Chinese ...
ー 流光 ー

   花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 

血まみれ剣術師
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed 09.16.2009 8:26 pm
Native language: English
Location: North Carolina

Re: Unrecognized Chinese Character

Post by 血まみれ剣術師 » Tue 09.22.2009 3:48 pm

It's probably Traditional Chinese. However, the actual meaning depends on what region it originally came from and the age of the item. Are you sure she didn't get it in Taiwan?

User avatar
astaroth
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon 12.22.2008 5:08 am
Native language: Italiano「伊語」
Location: Amherst, MA
Contact:

Re: Unrecognized Chinese Character

Post by astaroth » Wed 09.23.2009 6:48 am

血まみれ剣術師 wrote:It's probably Traditional Chinese. However, the actual meaning depends on what region it originally came from and the age of the item. Are you sure she didn't get it in Taiwan?
Indeed it's from Hong Kong ... my mother got the countries mixed up ...
ー 流光 ー

   花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 

User avatar
Minarai
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue 08.21.2007 7:20 am
Native language: Italiano
Location: Dulcis Parthenope - Naples

Re: Unrecognized Chinese Character

Post by Minarai » Wed 09.23.2009 9:43 am

血まみれ剣術師 wrote:It's probably Traditional Chinese. However, the actual meaning depends on what region it originally came from and the age of the item. Are you sure she didn't get it in Taiwan?
I've asked on another forum some more infos about "壽" /"寿".

It seems that actually the word "壽" is used in Taiwan, Hong Kong and probably Malaysia. It's the ancient form of "寿".
寿 is now used in mainland China and Singapore.

Mata ne!
Oooh it's always the same...c'mon Zenigata!Let me go, I'm just a gentleman!Good bye paparino!

...Make a better world, that's for you and me...

Post Reply