Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Beginner´s Japanese script

Beginner´s Japanese script

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Beginner´s Japanese script

Postby Zvono11 » Sun 09.27.2009 1:59 pm

I have bought this book few months ago. It is for learning writing and reading in Japanese. It is published by ˝Teach Yourself˝ and it is written by Helen Gilhooly. She works as a professor at university in London.... Does anyone here have this book, or does anyone use this book to learn Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana??? What do you think about it???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yourself-Beginners-Japanese-Script-Scripts/dp/0340860243
PSN ID: Zvono

日本の車が大すきです.
Zvono11

Native language: Croatian

Re: Beginner´s Japanese script

Postby Kakads » Mon 09.28.2009 5:37 am

I have this!
I really enjoyed this book when I went through it, it helped me memorise a lot of the basic kanji you see as well as the kana. It also gives you a lot of chances to practice your reading. Well worth it.
Kakads

Native language: English/Zanién

Postby Infidel » Mon 09.28.2009 6:35 pm

I like it as a sort of kanji primer. If you find kanji intimidating and mysterious, then by the end of the book you be a lot more comfortable with them. But I don't consider it to be a book for learning kanji, it's more a book for learning about learning kanji.

A good read and cheap. It's not really a "kanji book" so I can recommend it even to complete newbies.

As we tell everyone, don't buy kanji books though. If you want to learn kanji get a textbook that teaches kanji, don't try to learn them seperately in a kanji book, unless you already know a few thousand Japanese words, then go ahead.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Zvono11 » Thu 10.01.2009 11:20 am

Infidel wrote:I like it as a sort of kanji primer. If you find kanji intimidating and mysterious, then by the end of the book you be a lot more comfortable with them. But I don't consider it to be a book for learning kanji, it's more a book for learning about learning kanji.

A good read and cheap. It's not really a "kanji book" so I can recommend it even to complete newbies.

As we tell everyone, don't buy kanji books though. If you want to learn kanji get a textbook that teaches kanji, don't try to learn them seperately in a kanji book, unless you already know a few thousand Japanese words, then go ahead.

Really??? Well, thanks for advice... I will probably start learning Japanese in a evening school next year... I also have a book called Essential Japanese published by Berlitz....

日本の車が大すきです.
Zvono11

Postby vodesny » Thu 10.01.2009 11:37 am

I also have this book. I though it was a fun read, with lots of pictures and exersises to go through. As a note, a lot of the "teach yourself" series are very good. I have also tried "Teach Yourself Beginner's Japanese" and "Teach Yourself Japanese". I loved the second one, it had loads of explanations and forms in it. :)
The only diadvantage with that book is that it doens't have the readings in it, or at least only at the end. But otherwise, it's a very good book!
vodesny

Native language: English

Postby Zvono11 » Sun 10.04.2009 2:10 pm

vodesny wrote:I also have this book. I though it was a fun read, with lots of pictures and exersises to go through. As a note, a lot of the "teach yourself" series are very good. I have also tried "Teach Yourself Beginner's Japanese" and "Teach Yourself Japanese". I loved the second one, it had loads of explanations and forms in it. :)
The only diadvantage with that book is that it doens't have the readings in it, or at least only at the end. But otherwise, it's a very good book!

I agree with you about this book...it is great book...the only disadvatage is that it doesn´t contain readings....but writing is explained very good... :)

日本の車が大すきです.
Zvono11

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips