Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Textbook to Follow Minna no Nihongo II

Textbook to Follow Minna no Nihongo II

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Textbook to Follow Minna no Nihongo II

Postby ruisu81 » Tue 09.08.2009 1:00 pm

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for a textbook that would follow MNN II.

Perhaps you have studied in a long-term course that started with MNN I & II, what did you guys use the next semester?

Thank you =)
ruisu81

Re: Textbook to Follow Minna no Nihongo II

Postby clay » Tue 09.08.2009 1:22 pm

I have no idea if this would be a smooth transition, but a lot of people finishing Genki II use An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese (http://www.thejapanshop.com/home.php?cat=377). Of course Genki and IAIJ are both published by Japan Times and Minna no Nihongo is not.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby kurisuto » Tue 09.08.2009 1:31 pm

ruisu81 wrote:Perhaps you have studied in a long-term course that started with MNN I & II, what did you guys use the next semester?

We used "中級から学ぶ日本語", which I found really interesting. The problem with the MNN series is that the 会話 part is a bit boring, and a bit too easy in my opinion. Whereas in "中級から学ぶ日本語", I found some texts pretty challenging and really interesting, and the language that is used is much more diversified than in MNN. In each lesson you have a list of new vocabulary and kanji, and of course, you have grammar drills (pretty good too). Overall, it really makes you want to study with it.
kurisuto

Native language: French

Postby ruisu81 » Tue 09.08.2009 1:57 pm

Thank you, clay and kurisuto. I will try to get my hands on these to see what's in store.

Yes, kurisuto, the 会話 is a bit dull and they keep it simple, but overall the points are illustrated very clearly. I try to look at this as an indicator that I'm ready for the next chapter :lol:
ruisu81

Postby Stormy32 » Sun 09.27.2009 10:50 pm

I am studying Japanese at University in England. We studied Minna no Nihongo I & II. Now we are using a book called 中級から学ぶ (ちゅうきゅうからまなぶ).
http://www.amazon.com/Chukyu-Kara-Manabu-Nihongo-Paperback/dp/B000RQBECA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254106163&sr=8-1-spell
We are using a more up-to-date version.
Stormy32

Postby vista1984 » Sun 02.07.2010 9:40 pm

i would say "An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" is fair good, not perfect. especially for the self study person.

-articles in the book are quite interesting, and sometime the articles are too long and too many new words and grammar need to memorize, while there are some lessons only gets 3 or 4 grammar points.
-included CDs are really useful. Speed of conversation and speech is a lot faster than Genki 1,2. Good for improving listening.
-the book's context included a large part of group or pair practice. it is useful for the class learning but not for self study.

I would say if someone already finish genki, "An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" is a nice book to continue.
vista1984

Native language: Cantonese

Postby baskerville » Thu 04.25.2013 2:52 am

Has anyone ever used the textbooks J301 and J501?
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...
baskerville

Native language: English

Postby sampaguita » Thu 04.25.2013 5:28 am

vista1984 wrote:i would say "An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" is fair good, not perfect. especially for the self study person.

-articles in the book are quite interesting, and sometime the articles are too long and too many new words and grammar need to memorize, while there are some lessons only gets 3 or 4 grammar points.
-included CDs are really useful. Speed of conversation and speech is a lot faster than Genki 1,2. Good for improving listening.
-the book's context included a large part of group or pair practice. it is useful for the class learning but not for self study.

I would say if someone already finish genki, "An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" is a nice book to continue.

I have this book (Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese). I haven't finished it, but I think it's great from what I've read so far. Much better than MNN.
sampaguita

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips