Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Nanbudo Karate

Nanbudo Karate

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Nanbudo Karate

Postby Zvono11 » Sat 09.26.2009 1:18 pm

Does anyone do Nanbudo Karate??? It is Japanese Karate... I was doing Nanbudo Karate for 4 years...but I gave up, because I didn´t have enough free time.....
PSN ID: Zvono

日本の車が大すきです.
User avatar
Zvono11
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed 10.29.2008 4:07 am
Location: Zagreb
Native language: Croatian
Gender: Male

Re: Nanbudo Karate

Postby Minarai » Wed 09.30.2009 4:49 am

Not Nanbudo Karate.
I've been practised Shotokan Karate for four years, then I gave up as you.
It became too stressful for me...
Yesterday I talked with my sensei and the truth is that I miss Karate very much.
Soon I'm going to practise Shotokan again because Karate gave me a lot, is a way of life,I think that it's part of me now.

松濤館流空手.

おっす!
Oooh it's always the same...c'mon Zenigata!Let me go, I'm just a gentleman!Good bye paparino!

...Make a better world, that's for you and me...
User avatar
Minarai
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue 08.21.2007 7:20 am
Location: Dulcis Parthenope - Naples
Native language: Italiano

Re: Nanbudo Karate

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 10.01.2009 1:49 am

According to my husband, who is a shodan (black belt. Don't mess with him :wink: ) in Wadokai Karate, Nanbudo Karate is a Japanese form of Karate, but not a traditional style like Shotokan or Wadokai. It's a modern style. It was created by Mr. Nanbu, only maybe 40 or 50 years ago.

Hope this helps!!
User avatar
tōkai devotee
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu 08.02.2007 6:15 am
Native language: Australian!

Re: Nanbudo Karate

Postby longbow12 » Thu 10.01.2009 7:27 pm

For me not Karate but Ninjutsu, Bunjinkan system, although I did study karate at one time, and I know the feeling, I miss the dojo very much, I actually miss the feeling of coming home sore :D
longbow12
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu 10.01.2009 6:35 pm

Re: Nanbudo Karate

Postby Zvono11 » Sun 10.04.2009 2:14 pm

tokai devotee wrote:According to my husband, who is a shodan (black belt. Don't mess with him :wink: ) in Wadokai Karate, Nanbudo Karate is a Japanese form of Karate, but not a traditional style like Shotokan or Wadokai. It's a modern style. It was created by Mr. Nanbu, only maybe 40 or 50 years ago.

Hope this helps!!


Yes, it is a little bit different than a Shotokan...but I miss my Karate trainings very much too... I hope that I will start practising Karate once again....
PSN ID: Zvono

日本の車が大すきです.
User avatar
Zvono11
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed 10.29.2008 4:07 am
Location: Zagreb
Native language: Croatian
Gender: Male

Re: Nanbudo Karate

Postby chikara » Mon 10.05.2009 8:44 pm

I had not previously heard of Nanbudou and don't know if it is practised in this country. I practise a modern hybrid of Shoutoukan Ryuu and Gou Juu Ryuu.

tokai devotee wrote:According to my husband, who is a shodan (black belt. Don't mess with him :wink: ) in Wadokai Karate, Nanbudo Karate is a Japanese form of Karate, but not a traditional style like Shotokan or Wadokai. It's a modern style. It was created by Mr. Nanbu, only maybe 40 or 50 years ago. ....

Aren't both Shoutoukan and Wadoukai "modern styles"? Both Shoutoukanryuu and Wadouryuu were "developed" in the early 20th century and only identified as styles in the 1930's or there abouts. Funakoshi-sensei, whose style came to be called Shoutoukan, is after all widely known as the founder of modern karate.

It is a matter of how old something has to be before it is classed as "traditional" and just what constitutes "traditional karate". There is "traditional modern karate" which has its roots in the "traditional" styles of nahate and/or shurite.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: Nanbudo Karate

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 10.06.2009 7:46 am

chikara wrote:Aren't both Shoutoukan and Wadoukai "modern styles"? Both Shoutoukanryuu and Wadouryuu were "developed" in the early 20th century and only identified as styles in the 1930's or there abouts. Funakoshi-sensei, whose style came to be called Shoutoukan, is after all widely known as the founder of modern karate.

It is a matter of how old something has to be before it is classed as "traditional" and just what constitutes "traditional karate". There is "traditional modern karate" which has its roots in the "traditional" styles of nahate and/or shurite.



Well, I'm not the expert. As I explained, it's my husband who is the black belt. But he said that when he studied Wadokai in Japan, his sensei said that it was a traditional style because it came from Wadoryuu. I guess all styles don't just get invented out of nowhere. I mean, all people who develop styles have studied some form of karate and they all have their roots in some form of ancient or traditional styles, but I think that his sensei was pointing out the difference between genuine Japanese styles and the 'backyardies' who develop their own style in foreign countries like Australia (aparently there are lots of these in and around Adelaide. You may know of them, Chikara-san)

Unfortunately, when he came back to Adelaide 11 years ago, my husband couldn't find any Wadokai schools here. The closest he could find was Shoutoukan, and many varying methods are taught here. He eventually gave up because of the differences and accompanying frustrations.
User avatar
tōkai devotee
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu 08.02.2007 6:15 am
Native language: Australian!

Re: Nanbudo Karate

Postby chikara » Tue 10.06.2009 8:06 am

tokai devotee wrote:..... But he said that when he studied Wadokai in Japan, his sensei said that it was a traditional style because it came from Wadoryuu. ...

My understanding is that Wadoukai is one of the organisations that teach Wadouryuu. I get your point though that Wadouryuu is a Japanese style created with influences from Shoutoukan and jujutsu and therefore is more traditional than a style created in Australia from Shoutoukan and Gou Juu Ryuu.

tokai devotee wrote:..... I think that his sensei was pointing out the difference between genuine Japanese styles and the 'backyardies' who develop their own style in foreign countries like Australia (aparently there are lots of these in and around Adelaide. You may know of them, Chikara-san) ....

Yes, I know one of these quite well. ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male


Return to Japanese General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests