Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help!

Help!

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Help!

Postby J u s t i c e » Fri 10.02.2009 7:57 pm

I just got my computer fixed, and they re-installed windows, but without the language files! Now I can't install Japanese. When I try to install Eastern languages, it asks me to put the Windows disc into the computer, which I don't have. I have tried numerous downloads, and so far I have been able to get both IE, and Google Chrome to display Japanese. But my computer doesn't understand it (when I hold the mouse over a Japanese link the yellow thing pops up and it's just squares), and I can't write in Japanese!

If you could please direct me to a download, or tell me someway that I can install the Eastern Language files I would be eternally grateful to you!

P.S. I don't know anyone with the disc.
P.S.S. Thanks in advance!
J u s t i c e

Re: Help!

Postby Sairana » Fri 10.02.2009 8:17 pm

What version of windows, XP Home, XP Pro, Vista?

If XP, go to your start menu -> search -> all files and folders
Search for i386
If the search returns a FOLDER named i386, point your installation for eastern asian languages to that folder. If not, report back with what version of windows you're running, and who "they" are that reinstalled your windows, and why you can't just call them for something like a recovery CD
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby J u s t i c e » Fri 10.02.2009 8:23 pm

Sairana wrote:What version of windows, XP Home, XP Pro, Vista?

If XP, go to your start menu -> search -> all files and folders
Search for i386
If the search returns a FOLDER named i386, point your installation for eastern asian languages to that folder. If not, report back with what version of windows you're running, and who "they" are that reinstalled your windows, and why you can't just call them for something like a recovery CD

I used to have XP Home, now I think I have XP Pro. "they" are the repair people. I guess I may be able to call them and ask them for the disc, but it just seems like such a hassle (lol, and searching all over the internet for a file isn't?). I'll try what you said. Thanks.

EDIT: My computer found like 20 something folders. I tried to direct the installation to a few of the folders, but it won't let me select the folder. When I click open, it opens the folder...
J u s t i c e

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Sat 10.03.2009 6:32 pm

Repeat what you've done in specific steps. Microsoft staff will tell you to purchase a language pack or something of that nature. You don't necessarily need a CD when it requests it. I've reinstalled my OS multiple times and I've never needed a CD to install a Japanese IME. :)

Note:
No offense, but this isn't the correct section to post these types of questions. Please post it in Computers & Technology the next time. :wink:
血まみれ剣術師

Native language: English

Postby Astral Abraxas » Sun 10.04.2009 3:13 am

J u s t i c e wrote:EDIT: My computer found like 20 something folders. I tried to direct the installation to a few of the folders, but it won't let me select the folder. When I click open, it opens the folder...

That's because you double-clicked the folder and opened it. Highlight the folder Sairana mentioned (i386) then click OK.
Astral Abraxas

Postby J u s t i c e » Sun 10.04.2009 1:03 pm

血まみれ剣術師 wrote:Repeat what you've done in specific steps. Microsoft staff will tell you to purchase a language pack or something of that nature. You don't necessarily need a CD when it requests it. I've reinstalled my OS multiple times and I've never needed a CD to install a Japanese IME. :)

Note:
No offense, but this isn't the correct section to post these types of questions. Please post it in Computers & Technology the next time. :wink:

I didn't see that section >.< Sorry.

Astral Abraxas wrote:
J u s t i c e wrote:EDIT: My computer found like 20 something folders. I tried to direct the installation to a few of the folders, but it won't let me select the folder. When I click open, it opens the folder...

That's because you double-clicked the folder and opened it. Highlight the folder Sairana mentioned (i386) then click OK.

I clicked it once, but it doesn't say OK at the bottom right, it just says open.
J u s t i c e

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Sun 10.04.2009 2:29 pm

Do this first! Is this what you're using?
^Check to "Apply all settings..."^
vClick "Details"v

Send me a private message if you need additional steps. :D

Last edited by 血まみれ剣術師 on Sun 10.04.2009 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
血まみれ剣術師

Native language: English

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)