Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - S.M.

S.M.

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

S.M.

Postby bobi_san » Wed 11.30.2005 7:09 pm

okayyy. soo.....
do you remember
Sailor moon

I know..
it was long time ago.
but

tell me what do you thing about Sailor moon
:)
bobi_san

RE: S.M.

Postby Yurei-chan » Wed 11.30.2005 9:32 pm

^_^
My bff has a movie of theirs, or something. We watched it late at night, therefor falling asleep before it ended
Watashi wa ito tabesaserareru!
Kyou no wa chikai.
Taiki Yurei-chan!
Yurei-chan

Postby mandolin » Thu 12.01.2005 12:25 am

Seen all five seasons... the fifth I only saw recently (within the last year). I am slowly managing to buy them all on DVD.

I watched them when I was in high school, when they aired on my local station at 5:30am. Got up early every morning to watch em... and that was after staying up late every night for Speed Racer on MTV. *hum*

Sailor Moon was my first anime. My enjoyment of it also managed to spur some of the best friendships I've ever had. Serena and Darien have forever earned a place in my heart. Even if the original Japanese IS 100x better.

^.^
mandolin

Postby mandolin » Thu 12.01.2005 11:18 am

Moon IS a Manga. And the 5th season aired back in the 80's.

There was also a live-action series. I don't know how long it ran, perhaps that's the 'last episode' that was shown recently. I didn't follow the live action closely.. I think I'm reluctant to even try to watch one out of fear...

EDIT: Oh, and they had to stop showing the series on American TV because of Uranus being essentially a Transvestite, not to mention all of the lesbian innuendo. You just can't have that on a kid's show in America.

So then Cartoon Network went ahead and acquired the rest of season 2 and season 3, and aired those, but not marketed toward children viewers. Season 4 will probably never see American air time, because Americans' popular consensus is it's the "worst" season.

This is largely due to the fact that Americans care less for characterization and more about action and witty dialogue exchanges, and the entirety of season 4 focuses on Chibi-usa (Rini) and her relationship with Pegasus. It's quite romantic, and full of nothing more than filler battles and Rini learning about adult concepts of love, relationships, fear of abandonment, dependency, and so on from a talking horse. :)

Season 5 is to die for. I loved it entirely. But without season 4, the first 10 episodes or so would make NO sense, and after that they have gender-bendering issues with the Starlights, so it'd probably go the route of season 3, if at all. So I don't see that ever happening, either.
Last edited by mandolin on Thu 12.01.2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mandolin

Postby KeroGero » Thu 12.01.2005 1:31 pm

Woah, woah woah...! Wait a second here. 80's? The manga began in 1992 and ended in 1997. The anime was first aired within the same time frame. Eh... I s'pose you meant 90's then. Nevermind :P

ebear215, I do believe you are confused. It's not in Japan that it was held back, but here in North America. Um, here's an informative site you might like to take a look at... The Sailor Senshi Page

Also, there are a few anime out there that were not based on manga, though the majority do start life in comic format. I know Cowboy Bebop was anime first, though a manga was later released. I think I read that this is also the case with FLCL, but I can't be 100% sure.
★★★★★
KeroGero

Postby mandolin » Thu 12.01.2005 2:36 pm

80's.. 90's... I'm getting old if I start mixing them up. :(
mandolin

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions