Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advice on learning Kanji.

Advice on learning Kanji.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: Advice on learning Kanji.

Postby Infidel » Mon 11.28.2005 12:27 am

both but hiragana is used more. Eventually you'll have to learn everything.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Alien » Thu 12.01.2005 6:04 am

I want to learn hiragan pretty well so i want to read something in hiragana even if i don't understand much ,but i think by doing this i will renember hiragan much better ,if you can point me to a ,SITE (please don't recomand me a book ,i livr in Romania so by the time i get the book i'll know katana )where i can read in hiragana for more than a single symbol a time ,those games didn't help me much!

So please help me!
Alien

Postby arrikitukis » Sat 12.03.2005 10:06 am

i have just started with japanese and i think it will be impossible :'(
arrikitukis

Postby Infidel » Sat 12.03.2005 10:14 am

It's not hard really, but it is time consuming. If you keep plugging away at it, you'll get it.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby arrikitukis » Sat 12.03.2005 10:23 am

arigatoo

i will study hard ^_^
arrikitukis

Postby bluesnow » Tue 12.06.2005 7:24 pm

When i first started I found easier to learn Hiragana first, then Katakana because I had trouble telling the diference btween シ ツ ン ノ and ソ (and i still have trouble), then I learned the most basic grammer and basic Kanji at the same time. I did most on this site but some other good sites i found were http://www.kanjisite.com, http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html, and http://www.guidetojapanese.org/.:D for those who care.
bluesnow

Postby wariomona » Sun 12.11.2005 6:28 pm

I have just started to (re)learn Japanese. I have already learnt all the hiragana and katakana. I was wondering whether it is best to start with the Kanji next or wheteher to just learn as much about speaking the language as possible (without the kanji to go with it)?
wariomona

Postby hlover100 » Sun 12.11.2005 7:18 pm

The books I use are the Kanji de Manga series. It helps to see different ways of using a particular character. One thing I've learned that helps me is to study everyday. Basically all I do is write two new kanji in my notebook four times each and as for the kanji from previous days, I write those four times each as well. I also practice using them is sentences. It helps me improve my handwriting and knowledge of kanji as well.
hlover100

Postby xGoldenWave_09x » Mon 12.26.2005 7:05 pm

I'm nervous about learning Kanji on my own. I'll get through..I hope
xGoldenWave_09x

Postby Mariya » Mon 12.26.2005 7:40 pm

Is it odd..or not recommended...to learn Kanji only using the internet? Just a thought that struck me, everyone here seems to use text books. I'm quite confident that I can learn the Kanji using just the internet...
Mariya

Postby maiku1 » Thu 12.29.2005 12:54 am

For me, I make flash cards with the on & kun readings on one side with example words of each reading so I can use those words to help memorize the readings along with build up my vocabulary. The other side is just the kanji so I can flip it over & just stare at it like a deer caught in the headlights. I find that doing this really helps for reading but many times for the more complicated kanjis, I'm unable to write it cuz I forget a part. So to compensate for this, I just write out each kanji like 10 times each day. I learn maybe 10-20 kanjis a week but of course I don't absorb it all. You only absorb a certain percentage of things that you study anyway so I can forgive myself If I miss some. I just have to review the things that I'm uncertain of.

For me in learning japanese, I'm more of a reader/writer type. I'm not much of a speaker but then again, I'm not much of a speaker in english either & its my first & only language for now. But all I know is, whatever method works for you, is the best method. And certain methods emphasize on certain aspects. If you want to be able to write kanji, practice writing it. If you want to just be able to read kanji, make flash cards like I do. If you want to speak japanese, this is the crazy part..... you have to practice speaking japanese!! I know its hard to believe but its true. Just don't let little drawback get to you. Learning a language takes time. It took you years to learn your first language when you were a child. Its no different now. It'll take time, just stick in there. Also, If you have a partner who is also studying japanese, its a great motivator. You can push each other & keep each other going when things get frustrating.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I like helping people learn japanese when I can cuz after all, learning a language is no good if no one understands you.

みんな頑張れ!!!!
maiku1

Postby Alien » Sat 01.07.2006 5:42 pm

Hy!I have almost finished katakana & hiragana ,and i don't know where to go next,now what !What should i do next Grammar or Kanji or what....??Please someone tell me!
Alien

Postby Alien » Sat 01.07.2006 5:43 pm

sorry About That ,i had some errors!
Alien

Postby Daisuke » Sat 01.07.2006 6:20 pm

It's fine, I deleted the other posts. ;)
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby amathyst » Fri 01.13.2006 10:15 am

i gave a good book that teaches kanji and kana through pictographics i got from amazon it's really good. it's called kanji pict-o-graphix.
amathyst

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test