Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Where do you find the Genki Textbook?

Where do you find the Genki Textbook?

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

Re: Where do you find the Genki Textbook?

Postby Wakannai » Sat 07.19.2008 1:58 pm

The same applies to many other books I read, that I would never buy.

So the real problem is the "would never buy" attitude.

While there are plenty of books I probably will never buy, I had not made that decision before I even read them. Libraries are great, but there are lots of books I read for free as a kid that I've since bought as an adult.
Wakannai

Postby ニッキー » Sat 08.02.2008 8:07 pm

Does anyone know anywhere else to buy a new copy of Genki from online? thejapanshop.com is out of stock and I checked British bookshops and they're far too expensive! :( £45 ($90) for the textbook and £25 ($50) for the workbook... thejapanshop.com lists them as $40 and $20 respectively (plus $11.50 postage), which would make it just over $70 -- that's literally half the price! :shock:
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby clay » Sat 08.02.2008 8:28 pm

thejapanshop.com is out of stock

Sorry! I know we are out of the workbook, but I didn't think we were that low with the textbook. I've been trying to get Pam (I'm in Japan and she is in charge of the store right now), but she isn't there to let me know if we really do have them in stock.

I'll update as soon as I hear something.

Sorry!!
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby gnarhine » Mon 09.15.2008 9:29 pm

I got both of them at Kinokuniya in Seattle. There are a few others in the US... San Francisco, LA, New York, San Jose, Portland, Costa Mesa... if you live near any of those. Otherwise it is on Amazon.
gnarhine

Postby chikara » Mon 09.15.2008 9:51 pm

gnarhine wrote:I got both of them at Kinokuniya in Seattle. There are a few others in the US... San Francisco, LA, New York, San Jose, Portland, Costa Mesa... if you live near any of those. Otherwise it is on Amazon.

Welcome to TJP.

I am certain that the OP who asked the question back on 18 May 2008 will find your information very helpful.

As this is your first post I would recommend you reread Please read before posting! ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Flame Haze » Thu 10.08.2009 9:30 pm

clay wrote:
iev wrote:Sorry. It's just the only way to get the textbooks living in my country.
And I use it.

Hmmm... There are only two countries we (theJapanShop.com) don't ship to online because of a high level of fraud. Even then individual customers can contact us for other payment arrangements. In other words, you CAN get the book from us or elsewhere on the internet.

Just because your local bookstore doesn't carry a certain book doesn't give you the right to resort to thievery.

I think maybe its also the only way for me. >.<. Because i'm just 14 years old and all those payment methods just don't work for me. I've got the pdf version of the genki textbooks but still, i'm willing to buy it from theJapanShop.com if there's a suitable payment method for me =.=.
Flame Haze

Native language: Chinese

Postby Sairana » Fri 10.09.2009 1:21 am

Flame Haze wrote:Because i'm just 14 years old

I love that argument. You're a kid, so your only option is to steal. Go go logic.

There's always options -- legal ones. Even if it means waiting until you're old enough for your own credit card. "I want it NOW" is not a good reason to steal.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Dustin » Fri 10.09.2009 1:35 am

Even when i was young, I could always find SOMEONE that would be able to order it for me, and now you can go to a store, pickup a pre-paid credit card type gift card that allows you to shop online ( or at least they do where i live, can get them at 7-11 )

I always was able to find someone able and willing to do an order for me, there is no excuse for theft. Period.
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby Flame Haze » Fri 10.09.2009 2:57 am

I'm not arguing that we can steal. Although i have the pdf version of the book, i didn't even read it. Instead, these few days, i went to my area's bookstores to buy it, but unsucessfully. Maybe i'll just ask my parents to order i for me via Paypal. Sorry, if you all think i was trying to steal.
Flame Haze

Postby Dustin » Fri 10.09.2009 3:16 am

Flame Haze wrote:I'm not arguing that we can steal. Although i have the pdf version of the book, i didn't even read it. Instead, these few days, i went to my area's bookstores to buy it, but unsucessfully. Maybe i'll just ask my parents to order i for me via Paypal. Sorry, if you all think i was trying to steal.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to throw any accusations, but you mentioned earlier it may be the only way to get it.

Good luck with your parents, I just get a little edgy when people talk about piracy as I have spent a LOT of money on stuf I could have gone and pirated myself. Unfortunately the market is small enough for this type of hobby that it does make a significant difference so I like to make sure everyone who benefits do their part in supporting the works we continue to use.

it sucks being 14 and having to ask parents to order stuff online for you, I always had to go to older friends, or parents of friends as my parents were always too paranoid ^^
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby Flame Haze » Fri 10.09.2009 4:21 am

I know how you feel. Its just isn't fair for those who spent so much money to get it while others get it free. And my parents are pretty well the same...guess i'd better find someone else to do it for me >.<
Flame Haze

Postby Sairana » Fri 10.09.2009 4:34 am

Flame Haze wrote:I know how you feel. Its just isn't fair for those who spent so much money to get it while others get it free. And my parents are pretty well the same...guess i'd better find someone else to do it for me >.<

It's not so much the fairness to other people who buy the book, but to the people who put a lot of time and effort into making textbooks. It doesn't stop at printing, either. They constantly try to figure new/better ways to organize and present information, or update the texts as necessary as language evolves. And.. maybe it's just because I live under a rock, but I've never heard of a rich and famous textbook writer.
Sairana

Postby clay » Fri 10.09.2009 7:43 am

Flame Haze wrote:i'm willing to buy it from theJapanShop.com if there's a suitable payment method for me =.=.

We do accept PayPal, but what payment method is best for you? Fell free to contact me (or have your parents call) at 1-866-837-3607.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby jcdietz03 » Fri 10.09.2009 9:55 pm

They constantly try to figure new/better ways to organize and present information, or update the texts as necessary as language evolves.
Maybe revisions are necessary from time to time. The class I go to, taught at Harvard Extension School, uses "Nakama." The first volume was written in 1998, the second in 2000. They are more or less accurate to the Japanese language, even though they are 10 years old. It should be noted that I'm no expert on the Japanese language.

There is a new version of Nakama, published in 2006 and 2008 for the two volumes. I think they will use it at Harvard starting in fall.
jcdietz03

Postby Sairana » Fri 10.09.2009 11:06 pm

jcdietz03 wrote:The class I go to uses "Nakama." The first volume was written in 1998, the second in 2000.

Just curious what that has to do with the context of this conversation. The point is, people put in plenty of man hours into those revisions. Stealing them robs both publishers and authors of their already short dues. The textbook market is relatively niche... unlike entertainment writing. There's no mass market appeal... the majority of everyday folks don't go looking at the textbook aisles for "a good read"... and therefore, no mass market profits.

The frequency of revisions has absolutely no impact on how wrong it is to steal the book in physical or digital form.
Sairana

PreviousNext

Return to Genki Textbook