Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Mr.ジェームス

Mr.ジェームス

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Mr.ジェームス

Postby burstandbloom » Wed 09.23.2009 1:45 am

Pork Chop wrote:macdonald's is far from the worst job in the world in the US
in fact it's not a bad route if you plan on eventually getting management experience
working at walmart is WAY WORSE

Touché
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby Pork Chop » Fri 09.25.2009 5:37 pm

b&b
I think you have a very good point though - service oriented jobs are not considered "dead end" in Japan.
Maybe it's a good public face put on for the sake of the super high standards of Japanese customer service, but the attitude and palpable feelings of resentment for their job, when it comes to employees in fast food & other customer service *seems* to be nonexistent.

My wife used to work at an airport as one of those people behind the desk.
In the States, that seems to be occupied by people who have a burning hate towards humanity.
My wife says it was a tough job, but she felt it was very rewarding; she was grateful to have it.
Almost ironic that people from a country with a "service" economy seem to hate the entire idea of customer service.
Pork Chop

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 09.29.2009 9:11 am

that is hilarious.. not only is that the nerdiest looking caucasion I've ever seen, but he's also a mook.. That kinda reminds me of the nerdy asian stereotypes we use in the US.. You know, the asian who only eats rice and fish and wears a white shirt with pocket protector and thick black glasses..

Funny how the stereotype conceptions are no different over there than they are over here. AS for McDonalds.. I'll eat it all I want here, but I won't eat it at all in Japan.. It always tastes fishy to me.. And a fishy tasting hamburger is not the way a hamburger should taste..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Tue 09.29.2009 3:10 pm

Any McDonald's hamburger is not the way a hamburger should taste. :P
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 10.03.2009 9:05 pm

furrykef wrote:Any McDonald's hamburger is not the way a hamburger should taste. :P

i'm comparing mcdonalds hamburgers, not real hamburgers.. thank you.. :lol: :lol:
two_heads_talking

Postby burstandbloom » Mon 10.05.2009 4:37 am

The hamburgers at McDonalds here in Japan aren't bad, I can certainly tell a difference though. Back in my hometown when you get a McDouble, the grease drips down your wrist when you're eating it. mmmm. That definitely doesn't happen with these burgers (un)fortunately.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Mon 10.05.2009 12:10 pm

The MacDonalds by my house is really, really salty :|
keatonatron

Postby tanuki » Mon 10.05.2009 5:31 pm

keatonatron wrote:I introduced a friend of mine who is also named James, and I was met with "Oh, are you brothers??" :|

Some years ago there were two German girls who travelled along with our class on a trip. They had the same first name, and almost EVERY time they introduced themselves, they were asked if they were sisters. They would answer: "Who would name both of their daughters the same?".

Actually, when we were introduced, my mind also wondered for a moment if they were sisters. There seems to be some kind of brain shortcut when seeing foreigners with the same first name. :)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby katafei » Tue 10.06.2009 5:02 pm

タヌキさん、久しぶり、ね。。。
お帰り!
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby john2 » Sun 10.11.2009 3:19 pm

furrykef wrote:But we do, don't we? ;)

I will support violent protests and mass genocide before I eat at McDonalds their food is tastelessly disgusting. I want to keep good for my autobiography. what greater incentive is their too be good, except to write down all the good things you did in your autobiography.
john2

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 10.11.2009 6:47 pm

john2 wrote:
furrykef wrote:But we do, don't we? ;)

I will support violent protests and mass genocide before I eat at McDonalds their food is tastelessly disgusting. I want to keep good for my autobiography. what greater incentive is there to be good, except to write down all the good things you did in your autobiography.

Glad to see you finally got the dosage(s) nailed down. Stick with it.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 10.13.2009 2:08 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Now it's just going to be all that much harder to teach Japanese people that Mr. + first name is wrong. :(

Depending on the industry or academic school, Mr or Mrs or Ms first name is a perfectly acceptable way to address young adults or tweenagers.. (yes I spelled it tweenager.. between teenager and adult..

It teaches young children to use the form Mr., Mrs., or Ms, while still using the first name.. I'm ok with it.. Now, we just need to figure out if James thinks he's a tweenager or not.. :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Postby jimbreen » Tue 10.13.2009 5:32 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:Now it's just going to be all that much harder to teach Japanese people that Mr. + first name is wrong. :(

Depending on the industry or academic school, Mr or Mrs or Ms first name is a perfectly acceptable way to address young adults or tweenagers.. (yes I spelled it tweenager.. between teenager and adult..

It teaches young children to use the form Mr., Mrs., or Ms, while still using the first name.. I'm ok with it.. Now, we just need to figure out if James thinks he's a tweenager or not.. :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

To me "Mr/Miss First-Name" sounds odd and quite unidiomatic English. I'm probably old-fashioned and formal, but I think honorifics such as Mr, Miss, Dr, etc. should only be used with the surname. "Mr Mike Cash" is fine, but "Mr Mike" is 変な英語.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 10.13.2009 7:43 pm

The only time honorific + first name sounds natural to me is when it's used to address a children's teacher, i.e. nursery school teacher, gymnastics or dance teacher etc. All of our teachers when we were young were always addressed this way: Miss Susan or Miss Emily or what have you.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 10.13.2009 11:47 pm

becki_kanou wrote:The only time honorific + first name sounds natural to me is when it's used to address a children's teacher, i.e. nursery school teacher, gymnastics or dance teacher etc. All of our teachers when we were young were always addressed this way: Miss Susan or Miss Emily or what have you.

I agree with Mr. Jim and Mrs. Becki. ;)
I find it to be really odd using Mr/Ms [First Name], and get really thrown for a loop whenever my customers call me ミスター キース. I assume it's because they don't know which is my first name and which is my last, but still, it is jarring.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan