Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Mr.ジェームス

Mr.ジェームス

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Mr.ジェームス

Postby chikara » Wed 10.14.2009 12:02 am

jimbreen wrote:To me "Mr/Miss First-Name" sounds odd and quite unidiomatic English. .....

Always reminds me of Mr. Squiggle's female assistant, "Miss Jane". I don't recall hearing anyone else referred to in that way other than in British period dramas.

becki_kanou wrote:The only time honorific + first name sounds natural to me is when it's used to address a children's teacher ........ All of our teachers when we were young were always addressed this way ......

The only teaches we ever addressed by their first name were those prefaced by "Sister" or "Brother". All other teachers were referred to by their surname. :shock:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 10.14.2009 1:19 am

These days even at Kindergarten, the students call their teachers by their first names. I find it quite inbelievable. In my day, we had to learn to respect our elders and teachers and had to call them Miss..... or Mr......
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby furrykef » Wed 10.14.2009 1:22 am

In high school I sometimes called my 11th/12th grade computer science teacher "Mikey" just to tweak him (though I usually just called him "Mr. McGuire" like everybody else) -- perhaps because he had a childlike personality. I don't think I can even remember the first names of any of my other teachers except one or two, and I still called them by their last name.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby keatonatron » Wed 10.14.2009 3:24 am

Do we know Mr. James' full name?? Maybe James is his last name.

God I hope his name isn't "James James" or "Jim James" or something like that :lol:
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Wed 10.14.2009 3:31 am

keatonatron wrote:Do we know Mr. James' full name?? Maybe James is his last name.

God I hope his name isn't "James James" or "Jim James" or something like that :lol:

I assumed "James" was his family name/last name/surname but that is probably my western bias.

There is a well known craniofacial surgeon in this town called "David David".
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 10.14.2009 4:17 am

chikara wrote:
There is a well known craniofacial surgeon in this town called "David David".

I was going to say the exact same thing!! Great Adelaidian minds think alike. :lol:

Or there's the son of Aussie cyclist, Robbie McEwen. His son is Ewen!! Classic :D
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby phreadom » Wed 10.14.2009 5:33 am

I was thinking of the main character from The Mentalist, "Patrick Jane".
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 10.14.2009 2:44 pm

becki_kanou wrote:The only time honorific + first name sounds natural to me is when it's used to address a children's teacher, i.e. nursery school teacher, gymnastics or dance teacher etc. All of our teachers when we were young were always addressed this way: Miss Susan or Miss Emily or what have you.

funny, that's what I just said.. lol (maybe I wasn't clear.)
two_heads_talking

Postby NileCat » Wed 10.14.2009 4:33 pm

When Rowan Atkinson visited Japan to promote his movie, I saw many TV program hosts introduced him going;
「ミスター・ビーンさんです!」

If the guy in the Macdonald's ad appeared in the TV shows here, I'm sure he would be called;
「ミスター・ジェームスさんです!」

No problem at all for us. :D
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby furrykef » Wed 10.14.2009 6:06 pm

NileCat wrote:When Rowan Atkinson visited Japan to promote his movie, I saw many TV program hosts introduced him going;
「ミスター・ビーンさんです!」

Too bad he couldn't have been ミスター・ブラックアダーさん. I think Blackadder is much funnier than Mr. Bean. ;)

(But I imagine it was a Mr. Bean movie, so...)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 10.14.2009 6:28 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:The only time honorific + first name sounds natural to me is when it's used to address a children's teacher, i.e. nursery school teacher, gymnastics or dance teacher etc. All of our teachers when we were young were always addressed this way: Miss Susan or Miss Emily or what have you.

funny, that's what I just said.. lol (maybe I wasn't clear.)

Hmmm... I thought you were talking about adressing teenagers as Miss/Mr. Somethingorother not teenagers addressing their teachers that way.

And for the record we only addressed our nursery school teachers (and dance teachers etc.) this way, once we got to kindergarten it was Mr./Mrs. + last name, as for any adult. Although my kindergarten teacher actually was named Mrs. James. :shock:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 10.15.2009 5:45 am

chikara wrote:
jimbreen wrote:To me "Mr/Miss First-Name" sounds odd and quite unidiomatic English. .....

Always reminds me of Mr. Squiggle's female assistant, "Miss Jane". I don't recall hearing anyone else referred to in that way other than in British period dramas.

In the American South it has long been a traditional way for young people to address adults who are particularly close friends of the family....people it would be too distant and formal to address as Mr./Mrs./Miss Family Name but with sufficient age difference that it would not be proper to address solely by first name. Also for others for whom a certain closeness or fondness is present but for whom position and/or age differences would not allow the dropping of the forms of address. For example the wife of my high school principal, a very beloved and dear woman who often served as a substitute teacher, was known to one and all as "Miss Mary Lee" instead of "Mrs. Poteet". A motherly woman who worked in the office and who was similarly close to and dear to the students was "Miss Rachel" instead of "Mrs. Ballentine". Keep in mind we're talking about an area where it is common and traditional to address even strangers as "honey", "sweetie", etc.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Sat 10.17.2009 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Thu 10.15.2009 8:59 pm

Don't forget the "My first name is easier to pronounce" Mr. First name crowd. Or the my last name sounds bad in your language.

Mr Jim Couso might not have been amused being referred to as Kuso san. Kinda like how Ralph Lifshitz changed his name to Ralph Lauren so he could market his goods in the U.S.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby john2 » Sat 10.24.2009 5:49 pm

If this kind of stuff is mild compared to how cruel some language has gotten :cry: .
john2

Postby shin1ro » Thu 11.12.2009 1:31 pm

Is she Ms. James? :?: :?
The link sais she was born as Jamesetta Hawkins. I wonder if James is a surname even if it's a stage name.

-shin1ro
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan