Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I Made a Hiragana/Katakana Game :)

I Made a Hiragana/Katakana Game :)

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: I Made a Hiragana/Katakana Game :)

Postby BenGoh » Sat 09.19.2009 2:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Sairana! Kongregate website looks really good.

While it is my interest to learn Japanese, it is my interest to learn Silverlight (a technology used to make Stackana) too. Due to personal reasons I guess I’ll never get to learn Flash programming. And yes I know it is always hard to hear about critics but if I am to improve, I have to accept criticism (in fact there is a "Feedback" button right on Stackana and user feedbacks will go straight to my inbox).

I’m now extending my Silverlight skill set to create another interactive game, also related to Japan. Perhaps I should seek your advice along the way. I’ll let you know more about it when it goes online for testing. :)
BenGoh

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Sat 09.19.2009 5:10 pm

Oh, right. You know, I forgot you had a vendetta against flash. :P I think it actually came up in another thread here, too. Sometimes I'm just braindead. I just hate to see this game not meet its most potential, and I think the flash gaming websites would provide the mass exposure it deserves.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby furrykef » Sat 09.19.2009 6:16 pm

I'd develop Flash games myself, except I don't have the money to buy a copy and I don't really want to pirate it. :/

(In fact, I'm currently kicking around the idea of making my own Flash animation program -- we're talking way preliminary here, don't get excited -- but even so it wouldn't support making games, only animation.)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby BenGoh » Sun 09.20.2009 11:52 am

I say Flash is a nice and mature web technology. It is just that there are way too many technologies around town and it is not possible to learn them all. So I choose to focus on Silverlight instead because of its future roadmap and familiar development platform (Microsoft). If you want Stackana to meet its potential, you can help providing links to my site too, that'll help big time! :D (I have not had any luck asking for link from other sites...)

Furrykef, in my opinion it is too tough to develop an animation program like that if you're not having a team, and working on your own free time. I spent the last four weeks developing a tool called Xleeque Designer (in early development) and it is still not completed yet. Perhaps it's because I'm only working two hours per day, but you will need tons of dedication. Anyway, that's just me, don't let anyone tell you it cannot be done, just ignore me :)
BenGoh

Postby furrykef » Sun 09.20.2009 12:01 pm

BenGoh wrote:I say Flash is a nice and mature web technology. It is just that there are way too many technologies around town and it is not possible to learn them all.

Hm, really? I always find learning a new technology to be pretty simple. Now, of course there's a difference between having basic knowledge of something and knowing it inside and out, but basic knowledge can take you pretty far. If there was a new app I wanted to code and for whatever reason a new programming language would be the right tool for the job, I'd jump all over the new language. (We're considering Lua for use in Nintendo DS games, for example.)

BenGoh wrote:Furrykef, in my opinion it is too tough to develop an animation program like that if you're not having a team, and working on your own free time.

There are several points here:
* This will be an open-source project, so it may well end up not being just me if I can get people interested.
* One of the project's aims is to make it simple to program and avoid all the glitzy stuff that isn't really necessary. So it's a real "get down to business" type app.
* Making use of existing tools can go a long way towards making such things more feasible. For instance, drawing vectors is easy using a vector library. I wouldn't dream of coding my own.

Of course, all this said, it is still a big investment. But things like these should scale it down from "impossible" to merely "very difficult". :)

- Kef
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby NemoDreamo » Thu 10.15.2009 12:48 pm

I found it to be quite fun and helpful. I hope I don't sound rude in this post, but you did ask for suggestions and these are just things that I thought of. :) Really, my favorite feature is the ability to pick individual kana, something that most flashcard programs I found on the internet lack. Inversely, they usually allow you to pick from sets of kana, (ie. かきくけこ,はひへふほ, etc.) which this game lacks.

While picking individual characters is extremely handy for people like me, who like to only learn about 2-3 characters per day, (and would like to review what they learned without having to skip through characters they haven;t leaned yet) the ability to quickly select groups of them (like at realkana.com) would make things a tad more convenient for people who haven't learned all the kana yet, but know enough that picking each individual one could become tiresome.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but your game is also missing a few basic features, such as the ability to go back to a previous menu, restart a game, or quit to the menu from the game.

And this isn't really a technical observation, but perhaps the option to have some tune playing in the background would be nice.

Still, it's really fun and helpful. Thanks a lot for the effort and for sharing it. :)
NemoDreamo

Postby furrykef » Thu 10.15.2009 12:54 pm

NemoDreamo wrote:people like me, who like to only learn about 2-3 characters per day

Sounds to me like you're gonna find kanji to be very painful... ^^;
furrykef

Postby BenGoh » Sat 10.17.2009 3:19 am

Thanks for taking time for such detailed feedback, Nemo. You definitely did not sound rude at all. The group selection feature sounds like a good idea, I’m considering adding that into Stackana. I originally envisioned Stackana to be a widget that some blog sites can incorporate, that is why the size of Stackana is very small. That did not quite materialize, so I am thinking of enlarging the area of the game screen (to something like a full page-width). Lifting the limitation I believe there are many things that can be done, like the “Back” button was skipped due to the screen size (you can press Escape key to go back, but I know that is not obvious).

I also like the tune idea a lot (I’d be more than happy if you have appropriate tune for me).

Keep those feedbacks coming, I appreciate them a lot! :D
BenGoh

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips