Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dark Riddles

Dark Riddles

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Dark Riddles

Postby Stone_Cold » Wed 07.22.2009 12:07 am

What do you think? Can you figure these riddles out? Each represents something. I wrote them and gathered these particular pieces. These distinct ones are rather dark and/or cold. They don’t represent people except partially one.

This one doesn't represent a person. Confused? :?
<-.-> Cold dark dreary as he, cold dark dead to me, worthless be burdened, smitten one’s self, deep down gray to pale, deep down dead who stare, grasping one’s eye, then plucked out, murderous intent, hit down down, icy his blade enters, cold it comes out, warm it flows, breath runs out, stare stare stare, cold is death in one’s self. <-.->

<-.-> Kingdoms have rose, all have fallen, nothing is left, lonely standing solemn, tears cannot come, passion is gone, loaned to dust, standing alone, wanting to die, pulling the trigger, nothing dare happen, with one click, flinching without motion, starring into emptiness, looking into afar, long barren valleys, cold black air, windless great cursing, eternity failing end, forever be alone, in eternity’s never-ending. <-.->

<-.-> Blackened inside, void and hallow, nothing left, nor to see, passed has love, gone is grief, followed dull, calling sworn, mass falling, created for unknown, dead to all, cold my touch, smooth my edge, quick to cut, evil I’m not, evil I am, sworn my master, created with fire, brought into light, kept in dark, feared by many, countless death, life I take, life I’ve saw, rise I will, many will fall, bound to master, feared by all, shown to many, death’s call. <-.->

<-.-> Death is life’s beginning, wanting to run astray, attempting to hold life’s breath, yet life says nay, ye cannot hold life back, for death has no power, he will rise again, to be overtaken, yet again. <-.->
Last edited by Stone_Cold on Sun 09.13.2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Re: Writing (Non-Japanese Related)

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 07.22.2009 1:36 pm

have risen.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Re: Dark Riddles

Postby Stone_Cold » Sun 09.13.2009 6:53 pm

Note: These are Japanese related riddles. lol

Answers
The first riddle's the Tantō used in a Seppuku ritual.
The second riddle's the [eternal] Human Soul.
The third riddle's the Katana.
Finally, the fourth riddle's Reincarnation.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Postby furrykef » Sun 09.13.2009 7:37 pm

Yeah, I think those riddles are much too difficult. ^^; I can't even figure out how the second one relates to the human soul, and the first and third seem too vague.

I also think part of the problem is that the riddles are written in a way that's somewhat hard to absorb. Lots of short, rapid, unrelated thoughts. I think elegant riddles tend to be short and simple. Probably the canonical example of a great riddle is, "What has four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon, and three at night?" (The answer, as probably most of you know, is
Spoiler:
a person: as an infant, as an adult, and as an old man/woman who needs a cane
.)

The last one in your list seems to be a pretty good riddle, though, except that I can't find a question in it, implied or otherwise. You can't add "What am I?" to the end, for example, because there's no "I" in your riddle to identify. It seems to make a statement of its own without posing a question.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Stone_Cold » Sun 09.13.2009 10:06 pm

I wrote them to be very complicated. ";^P- I will take what you said in mind for the next ones I write. I might post an animated version of these riddles here eventually. That'll really make them come to light. The only problem is the material would probably be rated R and I'd have to get permission from Clay to display them. Don't look for me to do it anytime soon since I'm busy with a lot of other things. lol
Stone_Cold

Postby keatonatron » Mon 09.14.2009 2:09 am

I keep expecting you to say you've been setting us up for the biggest and most cryptic riddle of all: your username.

Then we'd all feel bad that you were being so dramatic about it and none of us had even thought it was anything special :P
keatonatron

Postby Stone_Cold » Mon 09.14.2009 3:14 am

I keep expecting you to say you've been setting us up for the biggest and most cryptic riddle of all: your username.

Stone_Cold gives a wicked grin. lol
Stone_Cold

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 09.29.2009 8:56 am

"life I’ve saw" should read life I've seen..

Even after reading your answers, the riddles make little if any sense.. I'm in Furrykef's camp. You either need to be more clear with your descriptions or you need to have a better set up for your riddles, the other thing is that there are a few grammatical errors, Mike and I pointed out 2..

Watch your 'person', in otherwords, watch that you don't change the verbs mid sentence from 1st person to 3rd person.. It has to remain constant..

I love riddles, but these just have me scratching my head.
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Sun 10.11.2009 7:56 pm

furrykef wrote:Probably the canonical example of a great riddle is, "What has four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon, and three at night?" (The answer, as probably most of you know, is
Spoiler:
a person: as an infant, as an adult, and as an old man/woman who needs a cane
.)

I think the Joker or some other fictional character had a different answer for this question that had me laughing, but now I forgot who it was and what the answer was. But either way, this makes me think of 2 riddles I like even more.

What do you call a cow with only 2 legs?
Spoiler:
lean beef

What do you call a cow with no legs?
Spoiler:
ground beef

There was actually a 3rd one that I forgot
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby chikara » Sun 10.11.2009 10:18 pm

Dehitay wrote:.... What do you call a cow with no legs?
Spoiler:
ground beef

What do you call a dog with no legs?
Spoiler:
Doesn't matter what you call it, it isn't going to come.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Sun 10.11.2009 11:08 pm

Dehitay wrote:
What do you call a cow with only 2 legs?
Spoiler:
lean beef

What do you call a cow with no legs?
Spoiler:
ground beef

There was actually a 3rd one that I forgot

I thought that a cow with 3 legs was lean beef, a cow with 2 legs was a side of beef, and the last one....

What do you call a cow with only one leg?
Spoiler:
Steak

Perhaps the joke's differ in different countries~??
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby john2 » Thu 10.15.2009 5:02 pm

Hmm my joke what do you call a human with half a brain.
Spoiler:
normal
john2

Postby furrykef » Thu 10.15.2009 10:43 pm

Heh, I was expecting something like:

Spoiler:
George W. Bush.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.04.2009 3:06 pm

furrykef wrote:Heh, I was expecting something like:

Spoiler:
George W. Bush.

I was thinking
Spoiler:
Barack Obama
two_heads_talking

Postby furrykef » Thu 11.05.2009 9:03 am

I saw that one coming. :P
furrykef

Return to General off topic