Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I'm a beginner trying to learn Japanese, any advice?

I'm a beginner trying to learn Japanese, any advice?

Do you have a translation question?

I'm a beginner trying to learn Japanese, any advice?

Postby Legend Saber » Wed 03.09.2005 9:10 am

Hello, this is my first post here, and I was just wondering, do any of you have any advice on how to go about learning the Japanese language? At the moment, all I'm doing is memorizing the Kana, I can already read and write all 46 of the relevant Katakana, and just started on the Hiragana today, it's been pretty easy so far, but I was wondering what I should do after I've finished the Kana. Do any of you know of any good books I could use to learn spoken Japanese, as well as perhaps an introduction to the Kanji?
I would just use this site (whoever made this place did a good job at it), but my computer at home is pretty slow and can't even display Japanese characters, and I'm pretty sure the people at this school would laugh in my face if I told them I had to print out 1,945 separate pages in order to learn Japanese effectively.
Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Legend Saber

RE: I'm a beginner trying to learn Japanese, any advice?

Postby Daisuke » Wed 03.09.2005 11:55 am

Most people do learn hiragana before katakana, heh. The time i finished learning kana, i started on some basic kanji, and basic vocab. (This website got lots of grammar and vocab pages to browse through). If you think of buying any books for your studies, then i think this sites store got some great books.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Spaztick » Thu 03.10.2005 10:11 am

If I could make some suggestions for what books:

People say that "Remembering the Kanji" is good for learning the Kanji. The thing is it uses the heilsig method, where you learn the kanji and it's meaning and then learn it's readings (how to pronounce them). This teaches you about 2000 kanji. The downside is you get what you pay for. It costs 60 bucks per book, and it's split into 3 books for 3000 kanji. The good thing is is that this is probably all the books you'll need to learn all the kanji you'll ever need.

"Read Japanese Today" is good for learning aobut 300 kanji, and he puts the meanings with the kanji, and tells you what items or pictures they came from. This is great, because it's here in the shop and it's about $45 cheaper than RTK. The downside is, obviously, it only covers about 1/10 of the used kanji out there.

Other than that, just use the site! After you learn the kana start going through the grammar. You may or may not realise what you got yourself into, but keep at it! I say that because Japanese is one of the more difficult languages to learn starting out, because as an English speaker you don't have a lot of relevance. Ganbatte! (good luck)
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Legend Saber » Fri 03.11.2005 9:51 am

Daisuke
Most people do learn hiragana before katakana, heh.

Lol, yeah, but when I started the Katakana looked less... intimidating, so I just kinda figured I'd go with them first. It wasn't until I was half-done that I figured out Hiragana was a better place to start.

Spaztick
People say that "Remembering the Kanji" is good for learning the Kanji...It costs 60 bucks per book, and it's split into 3 books for 3000 kanji.

Ah, that looks pretty useful, but until I get a job I don't think I'd be able to purchase such books, 180 dollars is just a tad too expensive for me right now.

Spaztick
"Read Japanese Today" is good for learning aobut 300 kanji...it's about $45 cheaper than RTK. The downside is, obviously, it only covers about 1/10 of the used kanji out there.

This looks like a book that's right up my alley, considering I'm a beginner and low on funds, that book looks like a great choice. 300 Kanji sounds like a good start, so I think I'll go with that one. I guess afterwards I'd have to buy the aforementioned books to learn the rest, but eh, by then, I'll have a good job and would probably be able to afford them easily.

Spaztick
Other than that, just use the site! After you learn the kana start going through the grammar. You may or may not realise what you got yourself into, but keep at it! I say that because Japanese is one of the more difficult languages to learn starting out, because as an English speaker you don't have a lot of relevance.

Ah, I well realize what I've gotten myself into, and I know it's going to be extremely hard to fully learn, but all that will do is make me feel all the better when I finally do learn it. Even after finishing the Katakana I felt a great sense of accomplishment, and when I was able to put it to use in some anime, I felt even prouder.

Spaztick
Ganbatte! (good luck)

Arigato! ... I think I'm gonna' need it.

In any case, thanks for the advice! I'll put it to use the best I can.
Legend Saber

Postby Gaijinian » Fri 03.11.2005 6:56 pm

This site a not a bad starting point.
ダイスケ? Do you mean "daisuki?'
Gaijinian

Postby Daisuke » Fri 03.11.2005 7:42 pm

If you talk about the "Daisuke" at the top of his post, then he doesn't mean daisuki. It's a quote of my post.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion