Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Sound effects in Japanese tv shows.

Sound effects in Japanese tv shows.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Sound effects in Japanese tv shows.

Postby phreadom » Wed 10.28.2009 2:59 am

As I've been watching J-doramas over the past few years, I've noticed some common recurring sound effects...

The cawing crow sound for when someone is doing something stupid or uncomfortable...

The revving motorcycles when there is a tense moment where a fight or something dangerous might happen...

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head... but I was curious if someone knew more of these and possibly the history behind them? I would imagine the motorcycle indicating danger would come from the motorcycle gangs in recent history in Japan?

Thanks in advance. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: Sound effects in Japanese tv shows.

Postby clay » Wed 10.28.2009 7:10 am

How about the popping sounds when the tough guy stretches his neck before a fight and the gulping sound when someone drinks something thirstily.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Wed 10.28.2009 9:13 am

clay wrote:How about the popping sounds when the tough guy stretches his neck before a fight and the gulping sound when someone drinks something thirstily.

Well, those seem pretty universal.

I've never seen the cawing birds, or the motorcycle sounds for impending danger in any other region's shows. (not that I've been exposed to that many others... but...)

I was trying to find some examples, but I have a hard time finding j-dorama clips on youtube. :( Maybe someone else could find a good example of what I'm talking about?

If not, maybe I can track down some examples and make some short example clips and put them up myself (which I hope would be fair use, being only tiny clips?)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby jcdietz03 » Wed 10.28.2009 8:10 pm

I heard the crows say "BACAW." It got converted to BAKA - this is what the crows are saying (the character who spoke last is an idiot). Why the crows say AHO is beyond me - they don't say that in real life.
jcdietz03

Postby JaySee » Wed 10.28.2009 9:15 pm

clay wrote:and the gulping sound when someone drinks something thirstily.

That sound makes me cringe... 気持ち悪すぎ. It's the reason I don't like the beer adverts here. :cry: It might sound a bit strange, but that sound has a effect on me similar to what some people experience when they hear the sound of nails on a blackboard.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 10.28.2009 9:38 pm

JaySee wrote:It's the reason I don't like the beer adverts here. :cry:

really? I *love* the のど越し sound, and thanks to beer ads, I now feel like I want a beer every time I hear it. :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby clay » Thu 10.29.2009 7:51 am

Harisenbon wrote:
JaySee wrote:It's the reason I don't like the beer adverts here. :cry:

really? I *love* the のど越し sound, and thanks to beer ads, I now feel like I want a beer every time I hear it. :/

It has kind of grown on me too. But not at first.

It's like Pocari Sweat. Either you want one while sweating and thirsty or you don't want to drink sweat.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Thu 10.29.2009 4:40 pm

Some of the sound effects in their shows remind me of sounds played in old American shows. :|
血まみれ剣術師

Native language: English

Postby Astral Abraxas » Sat 10.31.2009 4:44 am

I heard the crows say "BACAW." It got converted to BAKA - this is what the crows are saying (the character who spoke last is an idiot). Why the crows say AHO is beyond me - they don't say that in real life.

アホ is 関西弁 for ばか

also it's completely beyond me how they think the sound a dog makes is ワンワン so whatever I guess lol. Dogs do NOT say ワンワン!!
Astral Abraxas

Postby furrykef » Sat 10.31.2009 8:02 am

Astral Abraxas wrote:アホ is 関西弁 for ばか

From what I hear, though, アホ is a stronger insult than 馬鹿 in Kansai. But 馬鹿 is a lighter insult in Kansai than it is outside of Kansai.

also it's completely beyond me how they think the sound a dog makes is ワンワン so whatever I guess lol. Dogs do NOT say ワンワン!!

Well, frogs don't say "ribbit". It's more like "ogg-ok"...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Dehitay » Sun 11.08.2009 10:00 am

furrykef wrote:From what I hear, though, アホ is a stronger insult than 馬鹿 in Kansai. But 馬鹿 is a lighter insult in Kansai than it is outside of Kansai.

Are you sure you didn't accidently mix up your order there, cause I've always heard it was the other way around.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Sun 11.08.2009 6:43 pm

Well, this is what Wikipedia says, for whatever that's worth:

Wikipedia wrote:Another widely recognized Kansai-specific usage is of aho. Basically equivalent to the standard baka "idiot, fool", aho is both a term of reproach and a term of endearment to the Kansai speaker. Baka, which is used as "idiot" in most regions, becomes "complete fool" and a stronger insult than aho. Where a Tokyo citizen would almost certainly object to being called baka, being called aho by a Kansai person is not necessarily much of an insult. Being called baka by a Kansai speaker is however a much more severe criticism than it would be by a Tokyo speaker. Most Kansai-ben speakers cannot stand being called baka but don't mind being called aho.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Japanese General Discussion