Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 不思議の国のアリス

不思議の国のアリス

Do you have a translation question?

Re: 不思議の国のアリス

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Wed 10.21.2009 9:44 pm

You have no idea how happy that will make me. I just finished another chapter, so I'm one step closer. Since we're on the subject, do you happen to know if I should stick to reading native materials after I finish the Genki books, or is there more (high quality) textbook material I can learn from?
Blog: http://www.LicensedToChaos.arcrpg.co.cc
Do you like to roleplay? Have you heard of Play-By-Post? Give it a shot at ARCRPG and help us build a great community.
lonelytraveler8

Native language: 英語

Postby Fillanzea » Thu 10.22.2009 10:26 am

I don't know much about the various textbooks that are available -- I think my college used "An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" for year 3, which I found quite good. You might look into "Read Real Japanese" and "Read Real Japanese Fiction," which have authentic native texts supplemented by glosses and grammar explanations. (There's "Breaking Into Japanese Literature" as well, but I don't think that literature from 100 years ago is a great starting point for reading native texts.) "Read Real Japanese" is focused on personal essays, which I think are a well-chosen starting point: the style is conversational and generally easy to understand, they're short, and they don't rely on any specific knowledge or vocabulary.
Fillanzea

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Mon 10.26.2009 1:01 am

I'm bring the detekuru issue back up (My IME doesn't seem to be working at the moment...). I spoke to my teacher and she told me the following:

Because deru has more than one meaning (to exit or to appear), adding kuru makes the meaning clearer, so that we know exactly which meaning of deru is meant to be used. Does this make sense?
Do you like to roleplay? Have you heard of Play-By-Post? Give it a shot at ARCRPG and help us build a great community.
lonelytraveler8

Postby Astral Abraxas » Sat 10.31.2009 12:20 am

Once you finish genki series focus on kanji for a little bit... at least get yourself in the 500-750 range practice all the grammar in chat rooms that you've learned so far and read some stories etc while studying those kanji. After that I recommend getting An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese.
Astral Abraxas

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Sat 10.31.2009 12:58 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Having an idea of where to go next is always helpful. Of course, I'm still not even halfway done with Genki, because up until a couple of weeks ago, I'd all but stopped studying to get myself settled into a pattern with school, work and such. Now I'm hammering away at it again.
lonelytraveler8

Previous

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion