Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Some Genki Exercises

Some Genki Exercises

Do you have a translation question?

Some Genki Exercises

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Thu 11.05.2009 1:23 am

Hello, everyone. As some know, I've been doing a lot of practice in my textbook and have been doing the partner exercises with a friend who speaks no Japanese whatsoever. So it's required me to translate her responses into Japanese the best I can. There are some things that I just have no clue about, but tonight there were some that I took at stab at. I still have more to do with her tomorrow, but we both decided to call it a night. So I'll reply later with the rest.

1)
≫ すしと天ぷらとどちらのほうが好きですか。
≫ すしのほうがおいしいです。
≫ どうしてですか。
≫ (Her response here was "I've never had tempura." I don't really know how to say this. Maybe 「天ぷらをぜんぜん食べませんでした」?)

2) Sentences here were pretty straightforward.

3) Skipped at the moment, due to needing a question answered first.

4)
≫ 中国りょうりと日本りょうりとどちらのほうが好きですか。
≫ 中国りょうりも日本りょうりも好きです。
≫ どうしてですか。
≫ 日本りょうりをあまり食べませんが、すしが好きですよ! (Meant to be "I don't eat Japanese food much, but I really like sushi!")

5)
≫ ふねとひこうきとどちらが好きですか。
≫ ひこうき好きです。
≫ どうしてですか。
≫ ひこうきのほうが高くて早く旅行します。また、らんきりゅうが好きです。 (I have no idea if this one is right. For starters, I had to look up the word turbulence. I also don't know if I correctly said "Planes go/travel higher and faster (than boats)." I've never really connected adjectives together with verbs. I also assumed that using する after りょこう works.)

6)
≫ 日本の車とドイツの車とどっちがいいですか。
≫ ドイツの車。 (Is saying the noun by itself alright? I can't see reason why it wouldn't be. Any effect on politeness or anything at all?)
≫ どうしてですか。
≫ ドイツ人はドイツ人ですから。 (I found her response highly amusing: "Because Germans are Germans!")

That's about it for now. Number seven concerned Kanji and Katakana, so I just "asked" myself. The rest are still blank for the time being.

Edit: Is there a difference between 早い and 速い other than the choice of Kanji?
Blog: http://www.LicensedToChaos.arcrpg.co.cc
Do you like to roleplay? Have you heard of Play-By-Post? Give it a shot at ARCRPG and help us build a great community.
lonelytraveler8

Native language: 英語

Re: Some Genki Exercises

Postby Astral Abraxas » Fri 11.06.2009 1:33 pm

"I've never had tempura." = 天ぷらを食べたことがありません

(Is saying the noun by itself alright? I can't see reason why it wouldn't be. Any effect on politeness or anything at all?)

Dropping だ is done in conversation unless followed by ね or よ. Traditionally women would drop だ all together and just say よ or ね. So if do that you'll sound feminine. The exception is with い-adjectives. You never add だ to them.

大丈夫よ for example, is feminine. Nowadays though, women also add the だ in like men.
いいよ is neither masculine or feminine and いいだよ is grammatically incorrect.

I skimmed through your sentences and they looked quite good for the most part ^^; Just one thing I noticed, inconsistency. You sometimes drop particles like you would in conversation but sometimes you don't.

ひこうきのほうが高くて早く旅行します。また、らんきりゅうが好きです。

早い and 速い。 早い means early or sooner. 速い means faster/quicker.

I would say something like "飛行機のほうが高く速く移動できますから、飛行機が好きです。 らんきりゅうも好きです。"
Astral Abraxas

Postby NileCat » Fri 11.06.2009 2:52 pm

In addition to Astral's explanations:

4)
≫ どうしてですか。
≫ 日本りょうりをあまり食べませんが、すしが好きですよ! (Meant to be "I don't eat Japanese food much, but I really like sushi!")

It is ok though,
日本りょうりあまり食べませんが、すしが好き(なん)ですよ! would sound more natural.
Let me explain.
The question is "why (do you like both of them) ?", correct?
So, the answer is expected to refer to both, isn't it?
When you use "は" instead of "を", you can "limit" the object. You are referring to only Japanese food. You don't eat Japanese food very often. (You imply "about Chinese dishes is another story".)
Which means "you eat Chinese cuisine often".

Then, you continue "but I love Sushi!".
好きなんですよ! has a nuance that you are appealing the reason why you can't decide which you like more. It's a casual form of 好きなのですよ.(なの sounds like a written style) Anyway, it emphasyzes your feeling. Besides, for some reason this なんです has a nuance of "because" here. Emphasis=Giving a Reason.
Despite the fact that you seldom eat Japanese food, you do like Sushi. That's why you said you liked both.

However, simply saying "好きですよ!" makes sense. But it sounds a little bit blunt to me. As if you ignored the question "why you like both?".
But I think it's ok if you get rid of it. Just in case.

Does my explanation make sense? This usage is kind of difficult to explain. Because we take it for granted.

5)
≫ ふねとひこうきとどちらが好きですか。
≫ ひこうき好きです。
≫ どうしてですか。

ひこうき好きです。would be better.

EDITED
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Fri 11.06.2009 11:21 pm

I didn't really mean to drop particles at all, except possibly のほうが because I'm trying to make sure I'm comfortable with and without it in sentences at the moment. The missing が at the end of Nilecat's post, though, is an example of something that I did not mean to do, and may have been a typo from copying everything from my notebook.

As far as your explanation goes Astral, I would have realized that if I'd thought about it. I was aware of the nuances surrounding だ, but it slipped my mind. Hopefully, with this reminder, I won't forget it again. In this case, the person responding to the questions was female, so it was ok having feminine sounding responses. Also, thank you very much for the clarification on 早い and 速い. I'm going to go through the sentence you suggested later, as I don't recognize most of the Kanji and have to get going.

@Nilecat

Your explanation is superb! Without practicing it, it may slip my mind. But were I ever to run across it again, I would likely understand, though. :)
Do you like to roleplay? Have you heard of Play-By-Post? Give it a shot at ARCRPG and help us build a great community.
lonelytraveler8

Postby NileCat » Sat 11.07.2009 3:38 pm

Sorry, lonlytraveler8 !
I used the word "limit" to explain the function of "は" but it seems to be inappropriate. It seems to be called "constrastive". Honestly speaking, I'm not sure about the proper terms though... :oops:
Anyway, please check it up in a proper dictionary !
Thank you !
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Sat 11.07.2009 11:29 pm

It's ok. The fact that you put the word in quotes helped me realize you were using it in a special way. The explanation that came afterwards clarified it pretty well. I'm not sure which word would be best, either, to be honest. However, should I think of a good one, I'll be sure to come back to this thread and get you updated. :)

Edit:

Astral Abraxas wrote:飛行機のほうが高く速く移動できますから、飛行機が好きです。 らんきりゅうも好きです。

This makes sense to me. The addition of 「飛行機が好きです」 is a little unnecessary. I imagine my friend would agree, but she didn't actually say it, so I didn't write it down. The only thing that troubles me is 「移動できます.」 In this sentence, is this saying that a plane is "able to travel faster and higher?" It's not exactly the same thing as a plane travels faster and higher, but the general meaning is the same. I looked up 「移動.」 The definition seemed odd, but the example sentences fit pretty well with this one that you wrote.

Oh, I realize this is Japanese, but in English, I would be more likely to say that a vehicle 'travels' rather than 'moves.' One more question...In 「高く早く」, do you not need the て between them?
lonelytraveler8

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion