Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Vocab

Vocab

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Vocab

Postby h3lladvocate » Sun 11.27.2005 11:13 pm

Ok, i know a good amount of grammer, but i know almost no vocab. Where can i like find a place that has a good alot of vocab in hiragana, katagana or kanji?
h3lladvocate

RE: Vocab

Postby mandolin » Sun 11.27.2005 11:21 pm

Try here.
mandolin

Postby kempokatt » Sun 11.27.2005 11:56 pm

Or, if you prefer pretty pictures that you put your mouse on and listen to them in Japanese...(also has the Kanji and Kana too, as mouse overs).

Try HERE

Enjoy!
kempokatt

Postby mandolin » Mon 11.28.2005 1:56 am

waaa... sugoi ne, kempokatt-san. doumo!

EDIT: five words, and I still managed to misspell 'kempokatt'. Oi.
Last edited by mandolin on Mon 11.28.2005 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mandolin

Postby kempokatt » Mon 11.28.2005 2:21 am

No prob. :)

I figured there were people out there who were missing out on pronunciation. If you go to that sites Main page, they have many languages listed.
kempokatt

Postby AJBryant » Mon 11.28.2005 1:09 pm

If you know enough grammar to function, but lack the vocabulary, the best thing you can do is grab a Japanese book (or better yet, a weekly magazine) and start READING. You learn new words that way -- words that are in common, current usage.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby CajunCoder » Sun 12.04.2005 4:44 am

Get your hands on a japanese game, any type.

Have a dictionary handy and read to survive. The interactive aspect helps you learn and remember words, not to mention use them. To learn vocab, you *must* use it.
I've been playing two of my favorite SNES games in japanese; Chrono Trigger「クロノ・ツリガー」 and Earthbound 「Mother/(マザー?)2」.
Earthbound is especially good for vocab because its completely kana.

Of course, you can learn from less interactive things as well. Watching anime and listening closely for words, plugging them into the dictionary (Might want to be careful before using them though, make sure you know what you're saying :P), get a hold of manga if you can, browse japanese websites, find childrens books, chat with other people in japanese!

I've tried just raw memorization of words, but it just doesnt work well unless you use and see them used.

Note though, you should become familiar with often-used verb conjugations, and have an overview of them which you can use to look up, and put in perspective what you do and don't know. Its very important to be able to recognise how a word is conjugated in order to "de-conjugate" and look it up in a dictionary.
http://www.timwerx.net/language/jpverbs/ is a great site for explaining verbs/conjugations in detail, and you'll probably learn a lot of vocab just going over the lessons there.
Last edited by CajunCoder on Sun 12.04.2005 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips