Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Right direction??

Right direction??

Do you have a translation question?

Right direction??

Postby tiestotaku » Fri 11.06.2009 6:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying my hand at some translations. It's the spells from Dragon Quest IX- since I enjoy the game, I thought my interest could spur progress. I have attempted to translate all the kougeki and kaifukujumon. I've tried to type them up on JWPce, but it's being a pain. I'll put a few of what I have already, if someone could be so kind as to say "on the right track" or "WRONG" I would be forever in debt to that person. Also, I took these descriptions from http://dragonquest9.com/ As I have only gotten so far into the game.

(Like I said, here are only a few, if I'm not totally incorrect I might post more later. Thanks!)

小さな火の玉で敵一体を攻撃
:: Attack a single with a small fireball.

大きな火のたまで敵一体を攻撃
:: Attack a single enemy with a large fireball.

巨大な火の玉で敵一体を攻撃
:: Attack a single enemy with a humongous fireball.

巨大な火柱を発生させ敵一体を攻撃
:: Force a huge fire pillar to erupt and attack a single enemy. (<- This one makes me think I need to study more)

氷の刃で敵一体を攻撃
:: Attack a single enemy with a blade of ice. (I'm assuming the reading of "blade" here is "やいば"?)

大きな氷の柱で敵グループを攻撃
:: Attack an enemy group with a large pillar of ice.

Anyway, if anyone can spare a moment, I will send you my love across the internet. Thanks!
Please forgive me if my attempts at communicating in Japanese come off as rude or vulgar.
tiestotaku

Native language: English :: 英語

Re: Right direction??

Postby magamo » Fri 11.06.2009 8:22 pm

tiestotaku wrote:巨大な火柱を発生させ敵一体を攻撃
:: Force a huge fire pillar to erupt and attack a single enemy. (<- This one makes me think I need to study more)

"Force" may be too strong for the Japanese sentence. If you get the "force" translation from "させ," the Japanese word "発生させる" in that context just means "make" "create" or other idiomatic equivalent verbs in English. I don't play games in English so I don't know which verb is most likely used in the context, but I think "Create a huge fire pillar and..." would work.

tiestotaku wrote:氷の刃で敵一体を攻撃
:: Attack a single enemy with a blade of ice. (I'm assuming the reading of "blade" here is "やいば"?)

It's やいば. Actually "Xの刃" in a fiction novel, anime, game and whatnot is most likely read as やいば if "X" part is unusual material for a blade in real life. You can hear a native Japanese speaker pronounce 氷の刃 here (around 0:16~0:18):

http://koebu.com/koe/8ce7a1aa348638293c ... afb6c52882

The transcript is here.

Here is another Xの刃 example:

http://koebu.com/koe/2bcfeb0c0b788f72d5 ... d2e9e4463b

The transcript is:

氷​の​風​よ
​非​情​の​刃​を​も​っ​て (<- ひじょうのやいばをもって)
​零​度​の​闇​へ​導​け​!

​氷​刃​斬​!​!​

If other examples sound idiomatic in a game, it seems you're on the right track.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
magamo

Native language: Newspeak

Postby Hyperworm » Fri 11.06.2009 8:29 pm

You should read させる here more neutrally as "cause" rather than "force", though it can take that latter meaning.
発生する is "to occur, to happen, to break out", but if you're looking for ways to make it more natural, you could avoid putting "cause" in explicitly and condense it down a bit:
To [force/cause] sth. to [occur/happen/break out] = "to invoke/generate" or simply "to cause" on its own (though that may not work here).
(e.g. "It caused a large earthquake to occur" ... in this case "to occur" is unnecessary)
To [force/cause] sth. to [appear/come forth] = "to summon/create/manifest/bring forth"

Lots of words to choose from in English ^^;

Finally, don't forget that in all these cases the fireballs, ice blades and pillars may in fact be plural depending on context.
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby tiestotaku » Thu 11.12.2009 11:08 pm

ありがとうございます。 この応援は大助かりでした。 僕の日本語力は明らかに高尚じゃないね。

That was probably horribly bad. Thanks so much for your time and help, it was way more than I expected. I'm still a beginner, but I will keep in mind what you two have said. I'm still trying to properly piece together and comprehend the 文章 and 文法 structures, and I won't attempt much Japanese for now.

Alas, as promised...

私の愛をあなたに出しているんです。 

=}
Please forgive me if my attempts at communicating in Japanese come off as rude or vulgar.
tiestotaku

Native language: English :: 英語

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion