Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Font

Kanji Font

AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

Kanji Font

Postby ryusteve » Wed 11.04.2009 9:47 am

Hi

I'm looking for FONT software to enable Kanji to be modified in many different styles.
I've been searching for quite a while now and can't find anything.
Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Steve
ryusteve

Re: Kanji Font

Postby phreadom » Wed 11.04.2009 10:36 am

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. :(

Do you mean to actually alter the fonts themselves? Like a font creation software?

Or something to allow you to use different fonts, like a graphics program? Or simply how to install different fonts for Windows or whatever your Operating System is to allow you to use different fonts in general?

Please clarify. :) Thanks!
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby ryusteve » Sat 11.07.2009 11:36 am

I want to be able to type in Japanese and change the Fonts in Windows like we do in english.
I've installed language packs, but am still unable to modify Kanji.

When I was dating a Japanese girl a few years ago I was able to do it on her computer.
I currently have a Japanese share mate and his computer can't do it, so now I am confused.

Please help
ryusteve

Postby Sairana » Sat 11.07.2009 11:50 am

Are you using a mac, or windows, and if windows, which version?
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby ryusteve » Sat 11.07.2009 1:14 pm

Windows XP pro
ryusteve

Postby Sairana » Sat 11.07.2009 1:31 pm

If you installed the language packs, then you have a couple of Japanese fonts to choose from. I believe the defaults are MSGothic, MSMincho, MSPGothic, and MSPMincho. Switching between them in a word processor will change the font just like English fonts.

If you want to change how they are displayed on web pages... that's a little more complicated, and I'd have to ask you all sorts of questions about your browser and settings you have enabled or disabled. Most of the time, browsers allow websites to override your preferred font and use their own fonts to display text because the author of a site wants it to look the way he designed it. You can disable this, and it's different in every browser. Navigate around your settings till you find it. I can tell you where it is for Firefox, though.
Tools -> Options -> Content tab
On the "Default Font" line is a button labeled "Advanced". Click it. On the window that pops up, there is a checkbox near the bottom. Uncheck it. Confirm all your dialogs and exit.

To get more fonts, you can look around the internet for many different fonts. Not all of them are free, and usually the free ones look like crap. There's always a gem or two to be had. I haven't looked for new fonts in a long time, so I no longer have my links, but I'm sure Google will get you on your way.
Sairana

Postby ryusteve » Sun 11.08.2009 12:32 am

I actually need some cool fonts to design some tattoos.
The default ones are just too plain.
I've spent about 2 months searching through google and have been into many computer shops to ask.
I've had no luck at all.
I might just have to wait until I go to japan at the end of the year.

Thankyou very much for trying to help.
ryusteve

Postby keatonatron » Sun 11.08.2009 9:56 am

ryusteve wrote:I've spent about 2 months searching through google and have been into many computer shops to ask.

In which case I don't know if you're qualified to be designing kanji tattoos :|
People who know their stuff can find good fonts quite easily (I know I have...)
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Sun 11.08.2009 7:17 pm

You should be able to change your computer fonts and etc... Plus, you can find free fonts all over the internet. Just Google it and search awhile. I have tons and tons of extra fonts on my computer that I've found over time. I'm using a handwritten font with my browsers. You'll find some... just have patience; though, you can usually find fonts almost instantly.
血まみれ剣術師

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.09.2009 10:52 am

keatonatron wrote:
ryusteve wrote:I've spent about 2 months searching through google and have been into many computer shops to ask.

In which case I don't know if you're qualified to be designing kanji tattoos :|
People who know their stuff can find good fonts quite easily (I know I have...)

Ryusteve, just to give you some background, this community is not a fan of kanji tattoos, so you will find that most responses having to do with kanji tattoos are going to get a bit of a 'heated' reply.. Keep that in mind..
two_heads_talking

Postby ryusteve » Wed 11.11.2009 8:44 pm

To those people that tried to help, Thankyou.
To the others who think that their option is all that matters, please keep it to yourself.

I have many Japanese friends with tattoo's in Kanji, so I guess that it is not that bad.
If my Japanese friends are having trouble finding fonts for me on line, then I guess you others are just too awesome!
ryusteve

Postby Sairana » Wed 11.11.2009 9:00 pm

ryusteve wrote:To the others who think that their option is all that matters, please keep it to yourself.

The joys of being on the internet..... you're free to say what you want, and everyone else is free to express their opinion about it.

If my Japanese friends are having trouble finding fonts for me on line, then I guess you others are just too awesome!

I wonder what you get when you search for "Japanese font" on Google. Oh, look, I just tried and whaddya know... sites with Japanese fonts available for download.

Crazy, man. Crazy.
Sairana

Postby ryusteve » Thu 11.12.2009 6:11 am

Why is it that some people are saying it is soooo easy to find, but not even 1 person has posted a link or site where this stuff exists?
Interesting!
I guess this isn't a forum for anyone who needs help.
ryusteve

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 11.12.2009 6:35 am

ryusteve wrote:Why is it that some people are saying it is soooo easy to find, but not even 1 person has posted a link or site where this stuff exists?

If you had searched the forums, (or used google) would have seen that we've posted many links to various japanese font sites throughout the years.

But since I can't turn down such a simple request: http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Japanese.html

Hopefully that will get you started.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Sairana » Thu 11.12.2009 4:27 pm

ryusteve wrote:Why is it that some people are saying it is soooo easy to find, but not even 1 person has posted a link or site where this stuff exists?

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

Harisenbon's link is the first hit on Google when you search for Japanese fonts. Pardon me for thinking you could possibly have managed to find it on your own. Are you saying I gave you too much credit?
Sairana

Next

Return to Computers & Technology