Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Practice my current text book material :)

Practice my current text book material :)

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: Practice my current text book material :)

Postby furrykef » Sat 11.07.2009 2:03 am

kentaku_sama wrote:僕はフランスにフランス語を習ってみます。    I tried to learn french in france.

I'm pretty sure (90%) that に should be で. Also, since you have "tried" in the past tense, the verb should be 習ってみました.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby NileCat » Sat 11.07.2009 3:26 am

furrykef wrote:
kentaku_sama wrote:僕はフランスにフランス語を習ってみます。    I tried to learn french in france.

I'm pretty sure (90%) that に should be で. Also, since you have "tried" in the past tense, the verb should be 習ってみました.

Kef, you can say 100%, I think. :D

kentaku_sama wrote:Next ones (using nara and temiru)

フランスに行った事がありますか?
 アメリカなら行ったことがありますが、フランスに行ったことがありません。  

ピアノが弾けますか? Do you play piano?
 ギターなら弾けますが、ピアノが弾けません。 If it's a guitar, yeah, but I can't play a piano.

Almost perfect.
But,
アメリカなら行ったことがありますが、フランスに行ったことありません。
ギターなら弾けますが、ピアノ弾けません。
would sound slightly more natural in this context. (As an answer to the question using "が")
Here, "は" works as a "limitation". Please look it up in a dictionary.
フランスに行ったことがありません。also works.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby furrykef » Sat 11.07.2009 2:29 pm

I don't think I've heard "limitation" being used to describe the function of は before (or, if I have, only once or twice). This is usually analyzed as "constrastive wa", since you're contrasting between two nouns or noun phrases: "I do this, but I don't do that," or "Joe does this, but Jane does not", etc.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby magamo » Sat 11.07.2009 2:49 pm

furrykef wrote:I don't think I've heard "limitation" being used to describe the function of は before (or, if I have, only once or twice). This is usually analyzed as "constrastive wa", since you're contrasting between two nouns or noun phrases: "I do this, but I don't do that," or "Joe does this, but Jane does not", etc.

You're right in that the はs in NileCat's post are contrastive は. You said you have heard the limitation use only once or twice, but usual J-J dictionaries for native speakers do list a limitation usage, though it is unfortunately not the はs in question. These two usages are very similar in meaning, and probably your textbook doesn't distinguish them. Older Japanese grammar in linguistics didn't distinguish them either.

So the correct answer is that the はs in question is the contrastive は listed in the average dictionary for native speakers, and they fall into the contrastive は category in the rougher sense too.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
magamo

Native language: Newspeak

Postby NileCat » Sat 11.07.2009 3:07 pm

furrykef wrote:I don't think I've heard "limitation" being used to describe the function of は before (or, if I have, only once or twice). This is usually analyzed as "constrastive wa", since you're contrasting between two nouns or noun phrases: "I do this, but I don't do that," or "Joe does this, but Jane does not", etc.

Ah, so sorry!
I tried to explain that! --> "I do this, but I don't do that" <-- I thought it was like "limitation". :oops:
I was wrong! I apologize to everyone. :oops:
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)