Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Writing kanji on a touch screen

Writing kanji on a touch screen

AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

Writing kanji on a touch screen

Postby jcdoss » Sun 11.01.2009 8:59 pm

I'm thinking about picking up a new computer with a touchscreen, and I'm wondering if there is software available that will recognize kana and kanji if written onscreen?
jcdoss

Native language: English

Re: Writing kanji on a touch screen

Postby keatonatron » Sun 11.01.2009 9:02 pm

Sure is. In fact, it's built right into windows. Just click the "IME pad" button on the Japanese IME toolbar (enabled through the "Region and Language" control panel).

Edit: I should clarify, the IME handwriting tool allows you to look up a single character at a time... Are you looking for something that will allow you to write a whole paragraph and have it convert it into text for you? For that you'd probably need a program made for Japanese tablet PC's. Shouldn't be too hard to find if you search Google in Japanese.
keatonatron

Postby Hyperworm » Sun 11.01.2009 9:30 pm

Vista (and 7 probably) has a tool to do handwriting recognition of long strings of Japanese built in.

There's a special handwriting recognition pad (Tablet PC Input Panel or something? I'm on XP right now so I can't check), and you can use Japanese in it by switching the IME to Japanese. You can write each character in a separate square, or do it freeform.

If you're entering single characters it's probably best to use the IME's handwriting tool though. It displays more character candidates than the tablet input panel does.
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby keatonatron » Tue 11.03.2009 11:41 am

If you have windows 7 (maybe vista is the same, I don't know), you can right-click on the taskbar (er, "SuperBar" :P ), choose "Toolbars" and then "Tablet PC Input Panel". This will give you a button on the right side that gives you a handwriting-based input. I was playing with it for a bit, and it's pretty nifty. On my machine there was no option for Japanese, but writing Japanese "just worked". Using my mouse, I got it to input こんばムは in a matter of seconds... then went back to fix the ん :wink: You can even write in hiragana, and hit the henkan button to choose the kanji.
keatonatron

Postby jcdoss » Tue 11.03.2009 11:44 am

This is great, but I think the computer I'm going to be getting only has XP (Home, I think). Is there a mechanism with this OS for Japanese writing, or do you think I'll need to get Win 7 straight away?
jcdoss

Postby Hyperworm » Tue 11.03.2009 6:12 pm

Having just attempted to do entry of long strings of Japanese with XP, I found it actually doesn't work too badly (I'd never tried it before now).
You use the IME handwriting pad, writing each character alternately in left and right boxes (multibox method). You can't tell how the recognition is going until the end. You hit Recog(nize), and then use the left and right arrow keys (or their analog on the handwriting pad itself) to step through each character to get to the ones that weren't recognized properly, and a candidates list is displayed sort of like the one you get with regular keyboard entry, except it contains the best handwriting matches.

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to call up the handwriting pad and make it stay up. :s
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby jcdoss » Wed 11.04.2009 11:35 am

Thanks for the response, Hyperworm! It sounds like XP might be at least "OK" for me since I'm a kanji neophyte. I'll probably pick up Win7 in the next year or so, since it's sounding like a great improvement over XP (let's not talk about Vista).
jcdoss

Postby keatonatron » Wed 11.04.2009 7:24 pm

Windows 7 is the greatest thing since Pasmo.
keatonatron

Postby chikara » Wed 11.04.2009 8:36 pm

keatonatron wrote:If you have windows 7 (maybe vista is the same, I don't know), you can right-click on the taskbar (er, "SuperBar" :P ), choose "Toolbars" and then "Tablet PC Input Panel". This will give you a button on the right side that gives you a handwriting-based input. ......

Windoze Vista is the same.

Thanks, I didn't know about that feature.

keatonatron wrote:Windows 7 is the greatest thing since Pasmo.

Well it has to be an improvement on Vista.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Sat 11.07.2009 3:13 am

Warning: The previously released Windows 7 has a high chance of not functioning properly with external equipment (printer) or internal hardware. Many software programs will not properly run or start/function with Windows 7. Make sure you have all the necessary hardware drivers before purchasing Windows 7. Check to make sure your software programs and documents will operate correctly in the new OS environment. The new OS is prone to be buggy since it was just released. It's a good Operating System, but make sure you do your homework before purchasing it. :wink:

Tip: You can also configure a dual or multi-boot system to run both XP and Windows 7 on a separate partition or separate HDD (Grub does not work with Windows 7). Back up your important data before partitioning the primary HDD. You will lose all data on the drive once it's formatted.

Writing Characters in Windows
Both Windows XP and Windows 7 support writing Asian characters, but Windows 7 has more support in multiple ways. The actual effectiveness depends on the version of Windows 7 and the computer hardware. I recommend Windows 7 Ultimate for general use. Modify your system for maximum performance. :D
血まみれ剣術師

Postby keatonatron » Sat 11.07.2009 3:54 am

血まみれ剣術師 wrote:Warning: The previously released Windows 7 has a high chance of not functioning properly with external equipment (printer) or internal hardware. Many software programs will not properly run or start/function with Windows 7.

...Really? I've been running Windows 7 for a few weeks now, and haven't run into a single problem with compatibility. For one, its architecture is very similar to Vista, which means anything that can run on Vista can most likely run on Windows 7. It has an extremely good track record of being compatible with hardware.

It's fine to say that since it's new there will be a few bugs, but phrases like "high chance of not functioning" and "many programs will not properly run" are simply not true.
keatonatron

Postby Infidel » Sat 11.07.2009 6:24 am

My only problem with the tablet input, which I otherwise love, is for some reason it will link two lines. This isn't based on stroke direction either.

To use a gross example. If I were to write the kanji ni 二 which the stroke order is essentially a Z. So if the handwriting input were to put in a line, you'd expect a z. But instead I'll get a backwards コ. Basically two quickly drawn lines in parallel will have the stroke origins linked, and it drives me crazy when it happens. The only work around seems to be write slowly. This doesn't really happen with big strokes as in the kanji 二 but little ones. For example, when I write the radical 言. Then I run the risk of getting a backwards ko in there and screwing up the recognition program.

I use a bamboo pad rather than a touch screen. It's possibly a malfunctioning pad, and not the software.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Sat 11.07.2009 10:32 am

Infidel wrote:I use a bamboo pad rather than a touch screen. It's possibly a malfunctioning pad, and not the software.

That last bit is kind of a big deal :lol: Your entire post could quite possibly have nothing to do with this thread at all :wink:
keatonatron

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Sun 11.08.2009 2:33 pm

You may've not had those problems, but many people have confirmed they are. :roll: Computer communities have stated there are bugs in Windows 7 and are relatively minor. Microsoft has released several patches since Windows 7 was released. That was meant to simply say, "Windows 7 does not work with all programs." "Check to make sure your current software is compatible with Windows 7." If this person is switching from Windows XP, then he/she needs to know that there's a "high chance of [it] not functioning [properly] (whether minor or major related problems)" "many programs [may] not properly run." Old printers, GPUs, and etc... with no new drivers may not function with Windows 7. All this is telling this person to make sure everything is compatible. Maybe I could have reworded it all differently, but you knew what I was talking about. :| :wink:
血まみれ剣術師

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Sun 11.08.2009 2:47 pm

I prefer writing Kana/Kanji on an aftermarket tablet instead of a desktop computer screen. It's really nice to have a touch screen or multi-touch with portable touchscreen laptops. There's technology on the way that will better recognize your handwriting and etc...
血まみれ剣術師

Next

Return to Computers & Technology