Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Windows & Linux Shell Revamp

Windows & Linux Shell Revamp

AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

Windows & Linux Shell Revamp

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Thu 11.12.2009 4:31 pm

I've been doing some research to revamp my user interface from the Grub 2 bootup screen to simple folder organization. I'm aware of premade shell replacements for Windows and Linux, but none are suitable for what I want them for. I'm also looking to write my own Login interface for better user verification. "Why?" This will make it harder for intruders to get into my computer and protect my data. I’m also not happy with Windows interface, but I lack most of the knowledge to create my own shell [etc…] from scratch. It would be nice if I could find some form of software that would allow me 100% all around customization, but quickened the process (ex. sort of like game makers use). Has anyone gone to this extreme? Does anyone know of any software that can achieve this? Remember, I'm customizing more than just the login screen and etc... I’ve looked with no success. :(
血まみれ剣術師

Native language: English

Re: Windows & Linux Shell Revamp

Postby chikara » Thu 11.12.2009 6:41 pm

Linux is open source so download the source and hack away. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby phreadom » Thu 11.12.2009 7:28 pm

Yep, I'd say go with Linux, and you can use one of the existing toolkits like GTK or QT etc for your desktop... or you can write your own widget set etc... building from C or something. Plenty of options and it's all "free" and open for you to hack away at to your heart's content. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 11.12.2009 8:28 pm

Probably a bit too technical for this forum. I'd ask on Linux-specific forums.

I don't personally see why a more advanced login screen is required; password entry with a reasonably strong password should be sufficient to keep out family members etc, and if someone steals the machine or something, well they say all bets are off once the attacker has physical access. You're screwed anyway unless you've heavily encrypted the filesystem - the login screen is not the problem. (Someone can remove the HDD and simply read from it.) With that in mind I'd be surprised if anyone had done it already.
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby chikara » Thu 11.12.2009 11:37 pm

Hyperworm wrote:... I don't personally see why a more advanced login screen is required .....

I agree.

Just who is it you (the OP) are trying to prevent accessing your PC via the "login screen"?

Unsavoury people that most of us don't want to access our PC's don't usually have physical access to the PC or use remote desktop or telnet to access the PC.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Fri 11.13.2009 12:46 am

I'm changing my login interface to use a premade facial recognition software program (can't be manipulated with pictures) with a fingerprint scanner. I bootup my computer and peer into the camera for a second... check... swipe my finger for a second... check... logged in. It's quicker and more secure. A lot of computers are doing either or now and I'd like to have something similar [better] on my computer. No more passwords needed. I'm going to add an animated login screen instead of the plain still pictures. You can manipulate and change systems extensively, but I want to increase the security and not degrade it. There's a lot more I'm going to do and this is just a spec. You get the overall picture. :mrgreen:
血まみれ剣術師

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Fri 11.13.2009 12:56 am

I'm running both Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10. I'm going rebuild Ubuntu entirely as is and I'm changing Windows as well. Surprisingly it's pretty easy when you know how. I'm going to have problems with Grub 2 when I install Windows 7 Ultimate unless they upgrade it or something. Have you had any problems Phreadom? Did you configure your bootup or did it you install something premade? Mine (Grub 2) was preinstalled with the Ubuntu 9.10 update. Ubuntu now comes standard with it. :| I'm going to change it when I change Ubuntu 9.10. Of course, I might even build a Linux OS from scratch. Everything is still in the concept stages right now.
血まみれ剣術師

Postby phreadom » Fri 11.13.2009 1:38 am

I didn't have any problem with it. But I installed Windows first and then Ubuntu. Ubuntu finds the Windows partition automatically and adds it to your grub.cfg.

I just installed Win7 again a few days ago to upgrade from the RC to the retail, so that overwrote the MBR again and I haven't yet gone back into Linux to fix it (you can use the install/live cd to boot into existing installation and redo the grub config... I just haven't gotten around to it.)

Long story short, you shouldn't have any problem dual booting both. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby chikara » Fri 11.13.2009 2:57 am

血まみれ剣術師 wrote:I'm changing my login interface to use a premade facial recognition software program (can't be manipulated with pictures) with a fingerprint scanner. I bootup my computer and peer into the camera for a second... check... swipe my finger for a second... check... logged in. It's quicker and more secure. A lot of computers are doing either or now and I'd like to have something similar [better] on my computer. .....

My laptop has a fingerprint scanner for logging in which is a good idea given that I travel with it and could either leave it somewhere or have it stolen. I can't see any point on my desktop PC's or servers. If someone breaks into my house and manages to bypass my alarm system and are that determined to get at the data on my PC's or servers they will simply remove them. As Hyperworm-san posted above, if the physical security of your PC has been breached then there are ways to get at the data.
chikara

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Fri 11.13.2009 3:10 am

Like safe cracking, "no matter how thick the safe door or concrete, they will get in eventually. It's our job to prolong their attempts and make it hard as possible." :D I'm going to use the environment in my Laptop[s] as well. The idea is to make it easier, faster, cosmetically prettier, and slightly more secure. :D
血まみれ剣術師

Return to Computers & Technology