Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Shogi

Shogi

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Shogi

Postby kentaku_sama » Sat 11.14.2009 3:05 pm

I first saw this game on naruto and then I looked online some and omg I want to play this game so bad. I can't find much online. I'm willing to buy a book telling me how to play but where the heck to a buy a shogi game? I want either
Dai shogi-( )preferably or chu-shogi. For some reason plain old regular shougi bores me I like the complexity and largeness of games. Thats why I'm interested in go. If anyone can tell me where the heck I can get a dai-shogi set I'd so much appreciate it!! We may also discuss the ridiculous and (for some reason awesome) taikyoku shogi. Which has 74 different tiles!! and the board is enourmous look it up on wiki.

BE amazed :

That game is so awesome : )
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Shogi

Postby furrykef » Sat 11.14.2009 4:18 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:If anyone can tell me where the heck I can get a dai-shogi set I'd so much appreciate it!!

Good luck finding anybody to play with you. You're probably not going to find many people too interested in anything but plain ol' shogi, and if you're not in Japan, even that might be difficult if there's not a Japantown nearby.

I'd suggest sticking with Go if you're interested in epic large-scale games; it's surely a much more interesting game from a stategic standpoint than large-scale shogi variants. Sometimes less is more.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 11.14.2009 7:22 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:I first saw this game on naruto and then I looked online some and omg I want to play this game so bad. I can't find much online. I'm willing to buy a book telling me how to play but where the heck to a buy a shogi game? I want either
Dai shogi-( )preferably or chu-shogi. For some reason plain old regular shougi bores me I like the complexity and largeness of games. Thats why I'm interested in go. If anyone can tell me where the heck I can get a dai-shogi set I'd so much appreciate it!! We may also discuss the ridiculous and (for some reason awesome) taikyoku shogi. Which has 74 different tiles!! and the board is enourmous look it up on wiki.

Could you please write a little more clearly? It sounds like you have never played shogi at all.....and like you have been playing shogi so long you're bored of it.

This ought to cover you for chu-shogi. Read far enough down and you'll discover that the game is all but dead, with a tiny handful of folks attempting to keep it on life support.

And this ought to take care of dai-shogi.

This page addresses the ludicrous taikyoku-shogi in which each player has 402 pieces of 209 types, each with their own rules of movement. Yes, we are all properly impressed with the vastness of a brain which requires something like that to entertain itself, lesser games giving rise to naught but yawns.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 11.16.2009 3:09 pm

Was this meant as a throwaway thread or did you actually want some information and interaction out of it?

If the former, blog it.

If the latter, participate in it. When you don't it makes those who took the time and effort to attempt to be helpful become less likely to do so in the future. At a minimum, give some indication you came back and took note of replies.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby kentaku_sama » Fri 02.05.2010 1:08 pm

Ok thanks, I wish the large variations were popular though :(
kentaku_sama

Postby furrykef » Fri 02.05.2010 3:23 pm

Have you tried Go?
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby writebook » Sat 04.03.2010 2:19 pm

Yahoo! Japan has a free online shogi game.
http://games.yahoo.co.jp/games/login.html?game=Shogi

Maybe there are other game sites that have shogi if you look.

Or you could just google the rules and make paper tiles, drawing some directional arrows onto the tiles that show the movement of each tile.

Also, try sending e-mail to the author of Hikaru no Go, pestering him to write a Shogi manga. That might cause the popularity of Shogi to rise enough so that you can actually find a friend to play with in real life.
writebook

Native language: 日本語

Postby CajunCoder » Sat 06.12.2010 12:27 pm

Have you even played shougi before?

These larger variants look like they might be interesting to play once or twice, but where on earth you will find an opponent with the time to finish such a game, I do not know.

I rather like shougi, but honestly, I cannot envision dai-shougi being that fun. At some point, it just gets really tedious, drawn out, and everything becomes disconnected.
CajunCoder

Postby TKR101010 » Mon 01.24.2011 7:58 pm

I play Chu Shogi all the time :) It's available for play on Richard's Play-By-eMail Server (http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv), so is Dai Shogi, and Tenjiku Shogi.

I've played Dai Dai Shogi via email several times, but it usually takes a couple years to get through one game. I've also played Ko Shogi via email once. Surprisingly, even though it's on a larger board than Dai Dai it only took a few months to finish a game. Ko is a pretty interesting variant with it's shooting pieces and strange promotion rules. I'd like to give it another try sometime.
TKR101010 - Visitor from the 144-Square Universe
TKR101010

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan