Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What's New

What's New

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

What's New

Postby leonl » Fri 11.13.2009 8:04 pm

I'm pathetically out of touch with what is new and current as far as anime goes, specifically I'm talking about sci-fi, fantasy, action, and of course giant robots. The only anime I currently watch is Naruto:Shippuden. I started studying Japanese for the purpose of watching anime, but I don't really watch it anymore, yet I still study Japanese. Anyway, I would really appreciate some suggestion or recommendations as to what is out there nowadays. I'm open to pretty much anything, though I do prefer sci-fi, and the like
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Re: What's New

Postby phreadom » Sat 11.14.2009 2:09 pm

I watched Real Drive and Rideback recently (well, within the last year or so). They were both good. Probably right up your alley. :)

Naruto is pretty much the only anime I watch anymore as well.

As far as other current ongoing anime, there are no good ones that I'm aware of that I'm following, so I'd be interested in any tips as well. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby CerpinTaxt » Mon 11.16.2009 2:49 am

For ongoing anime this season my recommendations would be Umineko no naku koro ni, Bakemonogatari, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. These are kind of the most popular series this season that most people are following. Umineko is more of a mystery anime that gets you thinking. Bakemonogatari is kind of hard to describe but it's almost like a "monster of the week" show with witty banter between the characters, very nice art in this show as well. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is basically standard shounen, but imo much better than Naruto. It's hard to describe it as a series, but if you're that interested I'm sure you can just google it.

As for sci-fi, addressing leonl, there aren't any ongoing anime that directly fall into that genre at the moment, but there are many shows that are offair that I can recommend. Just going down my list I would recommend Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex as well as the second season, Darker than Black kuro no keiyakusha (second season is airing right now), and Eve no Jikan. I've also heard many good things about Dennou Coil and Serial Experiments Lain.

If you have any other specific genres you're looking at feel free to reply. I wouldn't say I've seen everything but it's been a substantial amount :lol:
The stars can only get closer, they can only get brighter...
CerpinTaxt

Postby leonl » Mon 11.16.2009 10:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions I checked out phreadom's recommendations and they look interesting. CerpinTaxt your ideas are good too, I already know about FMA: brotherhood but the others are new to me, I'll give them look when i have some free time
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions