Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Some new Anki tips I've learned! :)

Some new Anki tips I've learned! :)

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Some new Anki tips I've learned! :)

Postby phreadom » Mon 11.23.2009 11:14 am

I was having trouble keeping motivated to do my vocabulary drills in Anki and some of the people in the chat pointed me to some helpful features that have really helped me get back to my studying with Anki... so I wanted to share! :)

The first was "Time Boxing". This allows you to set a specific amount of time you want to review so that you can trim down your studying into more bite sized chunks to help keep you from getting overwhelmed. :) I've set mine to 2 minutes (in the "Session limit (minutes)" box) which is a nice brief setting that I can pop over to periodically when I'm not doing something else.

timebox1.png
timebox1.png (39.66 KiB) Viewed 2987 times

Next was "Cram Mode". I'm kind of winging this at the moment, but basically if your cards have tags on them, you can choose Cram Mode, type in which tags you want to cram on, and then it will just let you go hog wild and study as many as you want for as long as you want. :) For me I type in "Japanese" and it shows all my JLPT4 Vocabulary cards (which I added from Anki's built in deck download feature; File → Download → Shared Deck...), and I leave it set at 2 minutes per session for "time boxing"... so as long as I leave that cram session open, every 2 minutes I can take a break and go do something else for a bit and when I come back I will be able to review the cards I chose "Again / Soon" for right away. :)

cram1.png
cram1.png (39.96 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
cram2.png
cram2.png (52.69 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
cram3.png
cram3.png (51.73 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
cram4.png
cram4.png (38.51 KiB) Viewed 2987 times

If you don't have tags on your cards, you'll have to add them yourself... you can do this under Edit → Browse Items... and add the tags yourself in the "Tags" field at the bottom there. Luckily my vocab cards were all associated with the "Japanese" tag already, so I didn't have to mess with this.

Hopefully this helps other Anki users keep up with their studying as well! :D
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: Some new Anki tips I've learned! :)

Postby clay » Tue 11.24.2009 8:20 am

You should make this into a proper page somewhere on the site (or maybe at least at Wagawiki) so it won't get buried. Then, whenever you feel inspired, you can add to the Anki tip page.

Or I would be happy to do it for you.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Tue 11.24.2009 8:43 am

clay wrote:You should make this into a proper page somewhere on the site (or maybe at least at Wagawiki) so it won't get buried. Then, whenever you feel inspired, you can add to the Anki tip page.

Or I would be happy to do it for you.

That would be great if you could do it. :) I'm kind of busy with the new design work etc. :D
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby clay » Tue 11.24.2009 8:57 am

Done!
http://thejapanesepage.com/anki

You own it so you can add to it if you get inspired to do so.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby furrykef » Wed 11.25.2009 6:06 am

To be honest, I don't really see the point to using the Cram feature unless that's exactly what you're doing (cramming for an exam). I think it kind of spoils the whole point of spaced repetition.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby phreadom » Wed 11.25.2009 8:06 am

furrykef wrote:To be honest, I don't really see the point to using the Cram feature unless that's exactly what you're doing (cramming for an exam). I think it kind of spoils the whole point of spaced repetition.

- Kef

I disagree, and even the Anki site seems to agree with me on the FAQ to some extent.
Anki has a learning mode. Press button 1 when you don't know a card, and it will be shown again to you until you learn it. The default number of failed cards and delay before failed cards are shown again puts the onus on you to build strong memories however, and mnemonics and other memory techniques can make life a lot easier for difficult cards.

Some people find it difficult to learn new things like that, and prefer to use Anki's 'cram' mode, some other flashcard application, or a pen and paper for the initial memorization. Part of the problem may be due to the difficulty and familiarity of material. A person starting to learn a new language, for example, is going to find every concept new, and has little background to tie new facts together. This means a lot more mental effort is required to acquire the material, and is one of the reasons why people may need to resort to more intense repetitions for initial learning.

So while technically you're not supposed to need it (and can up your card count for the day or something instead), it's perfect for not having to worry about a card becoming a leech (and being suspended for being missed too many times) while you learn it initially, and letting you cram in a lot more content to get a general feel for everything etc.

Then you can use the SRS for more what it seems to actually be made for, namely spaced repetition to keep strengthening the memory and preventing the material being forgotten etc.

One of the things I was really NOT liking about Anki was the way it didn't seem at all friendly to initially learning new information... which led me to go back to JLS for general initial cramming of new material. So finding out these features were a real boon to me. :)

I'm also using it right now because I am in fact cramming for my JLPT4 test, which I'm probably going to fail miserably. :P
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby IceCream » Wed 11.25.2009 8:22 am

good luck!!!

i guess it's not much help 2 weeks away from the exams, but in general, you don't need to worry about big failure rates when your learning new cards...
you can learn vocab in anki, for definate. And, at 21 days, your pass rates will likely be be pretty much the same whatever you've done to learn them, so i tend to go with anki just naturally doing it, rather than implementing some other system which will probably take either the same or more time anyway...

at JLPT 4 & 3 level, there isn't so much vocab to learn anyway, and you should be able to do it with using natural materials in anki (subs2srs, or jing for manga box pictures) with a few minor alterations to test JLPT specific things. Though, it's no use to you right now, sorry... again, glgl
IceCream

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips