Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ~周りの部品

~周りの部品

Do you have a translation question?

~周りの部品

Postby Frobnitz » Wed 11.18.2009 5:11 am

1) A professor has recently died. He had developed an obsession with birds shortly before his death, and his friends discuss the reasons behind his interest. A little girl listening mentions that she likes birds herself. One friend comments:

「彼の頭の中は、このおちびさんと同じでしたよ。大好きなもの、うわっついたもの、フワフワ夢うつつで、未知への期待にいっぱいだった。遠くばかり眺めては、鳥の群れに立ち止まる」

I'm presenting the passage as originally written in the novel, but the punctuation, due to printing issues, might not be accurate; it was suggested that one of the middle commas should have been a period.

My issue is that I wasn't sure how exactly 大好きなもの and うわっついたもの related to the surrounding text (with which I don't need help; it's just this one syntax issue giving me trouble). It was concluded that the "uwatsuita mono" and "daisuki na mono" were meant as examples of the things floating around in the professor's head. Would you agree?

2) Would 動力周りの部品 mean "the parts related to/composing the power/engine" or "the parts that surround the power/engine"? I've seen the "~周りの部品" construction before, but I'm getting conflicting information as to its meaning. For example, I'd found this page, where someone asks about "enjin mawari no buhin" and does seem to be referring just to the parts of an engine: http://questionbox.jp.msn.com/qa1184803.html

...but it was pointed out to me that the person asking the question doesn't seem to be mechanically inclined and shouldn't be looked to for an example. Neither is the author of the source text in this case, though. (It's the same story from my previous thread. I'm afraid context does nothing to clarify the author's intent; the line is just one character's mention that they'd like to move the parts in question to another location for installation. I'm aware that "douryoku" in this case is, like "rain" before, another of the author's unconventionally-used terms.)

Thanks again for everyone's patience.
Frobnitz

Native language: English

Re: ~周りの部品

Postby magamo » Thu 11.19.2009 8:41 am

Frobnitz wrote:1)[...] Would you agree?

Yes.

Frobnitz wrote:2) Would 動力周りの部品 mean "the parts related to/composing the power/engine" or "the parts that surround the power/engine"?

(noun)周り means "things related to (noun)." The point is that the noun is usually taken in a more abstract sense than the same noun used in more concrete situations.

動力 is a word, and it means "power" as in "This engine yields more power."

So 動力周りの部品 roughly means "parts that have to do with power," "parts used in the power system," or something along those lines.

Also, this is just an educated guess. Context includes a lot of things from surrounding sentences to the author's writing style to more seemingly unimportant things. Not every kind of context is always helpful though.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
magamo

Native language: Newspeak

Postby Frobnitz » Thu 11.19.2009 11:20 am

All righty; thank you kindly.
Frobnitz

Postby Frobnitz » Wed 11.25.2009 8:59 pm

Heck, I'm gonna ask this anyhow - can someone clarify the sentence structure regarding the 大好きなもの、うわっついたもの bit? Is it part of the final sentence as listed, or should it be its own little sentence fragment, with a period after it instead of another comma? It's not the cleanest passage in terms of structure, but this bit has been driving me crazy.
Frobnitz

Postby magamo » Wed 11.25.2009 11:42 pm

Frobnitz wrote:Heck, I'm gonna ask this anyhow - can someone clarify the sentence structure regarding the 大好きなもの、うわっついたもの bit? Is it part of the final sentence as listed, or should it be its own little sentence fragment, with a period after it instead of another comma? It's not the cleanest passage in terms of structure, but this bit has been driving me crazy.

It's a kind of comma splice. Japanese has various kinds of splices, though it requires very high Japanese skills to effectively use them. Some native speakers abuse them in informal conversation. Of course the comma after うわついたもの could be an error. But as I already said, no one can give more than an educated guess without more contextual information.

If it's a comma splice, 大好きなもの and うわっついたもの are examples of what he was thinking about all the time. The next clause "フワフワ夢うつつで" describes what he was like, and "未知への期待にいっぱいだった" summaries what was in his head while depicting what he was like. I supposed you could say the author dropped a clause like "そういったことばかり考えていて" for an effect, i.e.,

彼の頭の中は、このおちびさんと同じでしたよ。大好きなもの、うわっついたもの、そういったことばかり考えていて、フワフワ夢うつつで、未知への期待にいっぱいだった。means almost the same thing but lacks certain momentum and a bit too wordy for my taste.

Also, if I were the author, I'd use で instead of に so it reads 未知への期待でいっぱいだった。

If you're not familiar with the term "comma splice," this Wikipedia article might be a good start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_splice
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
magamo

Postby Frobnitz » Fri 11.27.2009 1:27 pm

magamo wrote:If you're not familiar with the term "comma splice,"

No, I understand English perfectly well, *thank you.* :D
Frobnitz

Postby magamo » Fri 11.27.2009 5:06 pm

Frobnitz wrote:
magamo wrote:If you're not familiar with the term "comma splice,"

No, I understand English perfectly well, *thank you.* :D

Ah, I was thinking you might not know it as a technical term because, for example, the Wikipedia article says:

Wikipedia wrote:Comma splices are generally considered errors in English, although they are acceptable in some languages, including French and German, and compulsory in others, including Russian and Ukrainian.

It seems Japanese belongs to the "accept to some extent" group, though comma splices are usually considered errors like in English.
magamo

Postby furrykef » Sat 11.28.2009 3:08 am

Actually, many native English speakers don't know the term "comma splice" (and don't recognize one as an error). Wikipedia itself is full of comma splices, sadly.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion