Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Someone to practice with...

Someone to practice with...

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: Someone to practice with...

Postby furrykef » Wed 11.25.2009 6:07 am

You don't need to learn all the conjugations at once. Just learn 'em as you go. Most students of Japanese never use this sort of "base 1, base 2" system. Instead we speak of "masu stem", "negative stem", "te form", stuff like that. Some of the more hardcore students use the Japanese names, but I have enough problems with Japanese vocabulary as it is without having to memorize names of conjugations, too.

By the way, what's "tabere" (base 4) in the list, anyway? I've yet to encounter this form, either as a stem or a complete conjugation. Was it supposed to be "tabero" (the imperative), perhaps?

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby pm215 » Wed 11.25.2009 6:34 pm

furrykef wrote:By the way, what's "tabere" (base 4) in the list, anyway? I've yet to encounter this form, either as a stem or a complete conjugation. Was it supposed to be "tabero" (the imperative), perhaps?

That link chikara posted uses it as the base you stick 'ba' on the end of to get a conditional form (and for some other stuff if you pick verbs in the same class as 'nomu' rather than 'taberu'). I think that of the various different incompatible sets of terms for verbs, the more ad-hoc stuff like 'masu stem' has the advantage that everybody understands it without having to go and look things up :-)
pm215

Native language: (British) English

Postby furrykef » Fri 11.27.2009 5:10 am

Ah, right. That makes sense, then (although the idea of teaching たべれ separately from たべれば doesn't really make sense to me).
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby JPKid » Fri 11.27.2009 9:34 pm

You can buy the Rosetta Stone to apply what you've learned. I do that. They say it's the easiest way to learn a language, but in my opinion, it's not. I think that the Rosetta Stone (Japanese version) is only useful when you want to apply what you've learned. I think the best way to learn about the entire language is with the My Japanese Coach video game for the DS. I LOVE IT! :D
ダヴィダ ROCKS! 日本が好きです日本!
JPKid

Native language: English

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)