Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question about the kanjis

Question about the kanjis

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

RE: Question about the kanjis

Postby Mukade » Fri 03.11.2005 3:35 am

_Dum0nde wrote:
Are you sure that you learn compounds in volume III? That's a book description which doesn't mention anything about them: " [...] goes beyond the general-use kanji treated in the previous volumes to bring the student to the level of proficiency of the university graduate - roughly 3,000 kanji. The work falls into two parts. Part I introductes the meaning and writing of the kanji; Part II, the readings."

I just looked for book three online, and it looks like the book is no longer in print. While book one has you learn the meaning, book two has you learn (primarily) the On reading of each character. Finally, in book three, you (used to be able to) learn more advanced techniques of reading kanji in context; that is, reading essays, newspaper articles, etc.

Even without book three, though, if you take what you've learned from books one and two and tackle a Japanese text (manga, novel, newspaper, etc.), then you'll be able to identify the meaning and reading of the majority of the kanji you will come across.

This is more than half the battle.

Combining kanji you already know to form vocab you are learning (or better yet - have already learned) is much, much easier than trying to learn a word AND the kanji AND the reading of the kanji AND the stroke order of the kanji AND.... :o

Get what I mean?
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby aoeuaoeuaoeu » Fri 03.11.2005 12:21 pm

Ah, I see. By the time I'm done with vol. 2, I hope I'll have already started to seriously read japanese, so I guess compound kanji will get natural pretty fast anyway.

I have another question about the kanji. What's the general rule about the kanji / hiragana use? I thought it would be logical if the ending which is always changing would be in hiragana but it seems to be more complex then that... Let's say I want to say "I see" - mimasu. Is it simply "見ます"? Look! - minasai. "見なさい"?

Thanks again for the help!
aoeuaoeuaoeu

Postby Spaztick » Fri 03.11.2005 12:56 pm

Sometimes, if they want to emphasise a word, the will put either the whole word or the ending in katakana, kind of like our caps or italics. It isn't like an exclamation point, they use a different ending for that. (Like how you said with minasai).
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby aoeuaoeuaoeu » Sat 03.12.2005 10:36 am

But what about verbs and adjectives in general... Is the conjugasion in hiragana like in my example?
aoeuaoeuaoeu

Postby hihlordjp » Sat 03.12.2005 11:12 am

_Dum0nde wrote:
But what about verbs and adjectives in general... Is the conjugasion in hiragana like in my example?

The kana "endings" of kanji are called okurigana. Just to clarify...

正に 「まさに」
正しい 「ただしい」

You have the same kanji 正, but the readings are different. The way you read a kanji is sometimes dependent on the okurigana that follow it.

As for your question, can you be a little more specific...?
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

「君という光が私を見つける // 真夜中に」-- 「光」という歌より(歌手:宇多田ヒカル)
hihlordjp

Postby aoeuaoeuaoeu » Sat 03.12.2005 1:02 pm

A kanji can represent the main verb (見 - to see) but no kanji can be used for the conjugation, right? My question is, how do you use hiragana to say for example "I saw" - 見ました ? Is there a general rule on this?
aoeuaoeuaoeu

Previous

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems