Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Breaks Between Sections

Breaks Between Sections

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Breaks Between Sections

Postby kurisuti » Wed 12.02.2009 6:28 pm

Just wondering - since I'm assuming you do each section of the exam (Reading/Listening/Kanji) at seperate times, what exactly can you do during the 30 minute breaks between these sections? It seems kind of like a waste of an hour & a half to me rofl. Though if you're allowed to review during that time, would be nice I suppose :D
KAGAYAKITAI.COM ~ My Sweet Vacation fansite + jpop archive
kurisuti

Re: Breaks Between Sections

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 12.02.2009 8:03 pm

It is the biggest waste of time.
There's really no reason for it that I can tell, and even the lunch-hour is completely unnecessary.

If they just started the test after lunch, with 5 minute breaks between sections, the entire process would be much less painful, I think.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby spin13 » Thu 12.03.2009 5:24 am

The breaks are to help you unwind by ogling Korean girls, no?
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby katafei » Thu 12.03.2009 7:32 am

You can use the time to review. I usually do. And I'm also grateful for the possibility to go outside and get a bit of fresh in between. A bare necessity for my brains :mrgreen:

Oh, as non-native english speaker: by reviewing, I mean look through your own study material and so on, you don't get to review the part of the exam you just finished...
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby kurisuti » Fri 12.04.2009 5:55 pm

I see I see~ I'll be sure to bring a snack, vocab review, and my ipod (gotta have jpop bwuahaha) :mrgreen:
KAGAYAKITAI.COM ~ My Sweet Vacation fansite + jpop archive
kurisuti

Postby ThePacster » Sat 12.05.2009 11:15 pm

katafei wrote:You can use the time to review. I usually do. And I'm also grateful for the possibility to go outside and get a bit of fresh in between. A bare necessity for my brains :mrgreen:

Oh, as non-native english speaker: by reviewing, I mean look through your own study material and so on, you don't get to review the part of the exam you just finished...

I may have missed something, but how can we review when we're not allowed to bring anything but pencils?
ThePacster

Postby spin13 » Sun 12.06.2009 3:23 am

You're only allowed pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, and a clock on the table but, as far as I know, there are no rules about what belongings you have in your bag, be it textbooks or your lunch.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby mbridge » Mon 12.07.2009 11:48 pm

hmm... I took 1 kyuu, and my breaks were only about 15 minutes long. The tests were scheduled with 20~25 minutes of free space in between, but some of that is spent giving out and collecting papers, in addition to reading directions, waiting for people who are late, getting technical problems (book is printed correctly? audio is audible?) sorted out.

I had about 10 minutes between tests (which were 45, 45, and 90 minutes long per section) to sort out bathroom business and head back in to small talk a little with my neighbors.
You can bring a backpack of whatever you want. They don't search your bags nor confiscate your phone. All they ask is that nothing on you makes any beeping (cell phone or watch). If you're taking 2 kyuu or 1 kyuu, I would advise packing a light lunch.
mbridge

Native language: American English

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test