Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Darth Vader vs. Japanese Police

Darth Vader vs. Japanese Police

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Darth Vader vs. Japanese Police

Postby Infidel » Tue 12.01.2009 11:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvIGFAR ... re=related

What is it with Japanese customs always breaking people's swords?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Re: Darth Vader vs. Japanese Police

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 12.02.2009 4:16 am

That was the funniest thing I had seen in a long time. :lol:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby phreadom » Wed 12.02.2009 1:37 pm

I really liked the other one too. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_e_knw1zo
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.02.2009 1:39 pm

If you mean "Customs", say "Customs". If you mean "Police", say "Police".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Wed 12.02.2009 1:55 pm

Speaking of which... I'm curious about the line "What is it with Japanese customs always breaking people's swords?"

Could you elaborate on this? I've never heard anything about this. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Infidel » Wed 12.02.2009 2:42 pm

Mike made a reference somewhere about some guy that brought a "Priceless" heirloom sword to Japan, without declaring it. So Customs confiscated it and destroyed it in-front of the man.

Having looked at the sword laws for bringing Swords into Japan, the Customs officials are supposed to offer the person the option of destruction, or sending the sword back to the country of origin. Apparently the man chose destruction, or he misunderstood the options, or maybe the Customs officials really were cruel and didn't offer him the choice as they are supposed to. Or maybe the man was an asshat and the Customs officials decided to prove that they could be an asshat right back. No matter, it was still the man's fault for bringing a sword to Japan without checking the laws and declaring it. Japanese police--police in general, aren't very sympathetic when they believe someone is trying to pull one over them.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 12.03.2009 5:22 pm

You do realize that Customs and the police are two entirely different entities, don't you? (Although since so many people think Customs is in charge of visas I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at what people conflate).

The Japanese police had nothing whatsoever to do with the destruction of the 16th century saber I mentioned way back when. Nor do they have anything to do with any of the items that Customs destroys.

Nor was it a matter of the saber being destroyed because the guy failed to declare it. You make it sound like the authorities were petulant three year olds in a vindictive snit who get to decide what to do entirely according to their own caprices. They destroyed it because it was a banned item under Japanese law and destruction was what the law stipulated.

I get more than just a little irked at what I see foreigners blaming the Japanese police for, when so many of them have not the slightest clue about Japanese law, don't understand what the hell was going on, and very often can't tell the difference between a policeman and some guy in the employ of a private security guard company. I'm fine with justly taking them to task for the genuine flaws and shortcomings of both the people and the system under which they work, but not for blaming them for things they had nothing to do with....something foreigners especially are guilty of.

Anyway.....you violated Rule 13.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Thu 12.03.2009 6:18 pm

I'd hardly call Customs officals and Police officers entirely different entities. They are both enforcers of Law. They just enforce different laws. They have different jurisdictions, just as sheriffs and police officers have different jurisdictions, but within those jurisdictions, their authority is very similar. Since Police are the most visible and common of the three, it's perfectly normal and acceptable to use one term refer to all under the same umbrella, especially when Customs officials, and Sheriffs are types of police.

My choice of word was perfectly fine. The problem is not my usage of the word, but your attempt to paint a greater distinction than truly exists. The term police refers to: "control and regulation of affairs affecting the general order and welfare of any unit or area" ergo, it is not necessarily limited to a specific organization. And for your information, the term police CAN refer to your private security guards : "a private organization resembling a police force <campus police>"

Nor was it a matter of the saber being destroyed because the guy failed to declare it. You make it sound like the authorities were petulant three year olds in a vindictive snit who get to decide what to do entirely according to their own caprices. They destroyed it because it was a banned item under Japanese law and destruction was what the law stipulated.

Actually, I made it sound as if the man blamed it on the authorities being "petulant three year olds..." You were just too busy trying to act like the word police: "one attempting to regulate or censor a specified field or activity <the fashion police>" to notice that I was referring to his attitude and not making any kind of accusation, especially when I gave several different explanations why it could have happened without giving any one preference.
Last edited by Infidel on Thu 12.03.2009 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 12.03.2009 6:43 pm

Have another handful:

Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Thu 12.03.2009 6:49 pm

I was obviously just giving you a hard time calling you word police and such. I don't really care much, but sometimes when people come on with that kind of argument, it feels like I'm being told not to call a flying mouse a bat because people will confuse it with a wooded club.

And I'm afraid your retort flew over my head. I can't tell whether your calling me a sucker for not spotting your own sarcasm, or telling me my argument is made of straw, which I disagree of course. Grasping at straws? Sorry, totally disagree there too. The dictionary isn't a straw, it's a hammer.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby furrykef » Thu 12.03.2009 10:26 pm

I think the intended meaning is "grasping at straws" (given the "have another handful" comment), but I have to disagree: Infidel's reasoning makes sense to me, at least. I have to admit, though, that the number of people who would refer to private security guards as "police" is pretty small. I mean, the same person might answer these two questions differently:
* Is a private security organization a form of police? [Yes]
* Would you typically refer to them as simply "the police"? [No]

Infidel wrote:The dictionary isn't a straw, it's a hammer.

This gets into a prescriptivist vs. descriptivist argument, because dictionaries these days tend to be descriptivist and there are times when they don't mark somewhat unusual usage. Though I don't think prescriptivism necessarily makes for a better authority, because sometimes prescriptivists are full of BS (like that "never end a sentence with a preposition" nonsense). But either way, a dictionary isn't the be-all and end-all, especially just one dictionary.

Still, a dictionary backing you up is much better than no backup at all.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.08.2009 9:06 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fwEmP2 ... re=related

much more funny than those silly police videos. and more relevant to the current news..
two_heads_talking

Postby furrykef » Tue 12.08.2009 10:41 am

I saw it coming. Or at least the ball manipulation part. It's been done before.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Infidel » Tue 12.08.2009 5:51 pm

Very funny, thanks TH.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 12.10.2009 2:55 pm

Infidel wrote:Very funny, thanks TH.

no worries, i figured everyone was up to speed on Tiger Woods, and so the golfing was a bit on target.. (forgive the pun please)
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan