Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Difference between "share house" and "guest house"?

Difference between "share house" and "guest house"?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Difference between "share house" and "guest house"?

Postby ruisu81 » Fri 12.04.2009 2:00 am

I'm looking for a place to stay that has monthly rates, and this site has a section for share houses and guest houses:
http://www.tokyobackpacker.com

The prices are very similar, and I can't figure out how they are different.

Anyone happen to know?

Thanks
ruisu81

Re: Difference between "share house" and "guest house"?

Postby keatonatron » Fri 12.04.2009 3:19 am

A share house is a big house that you share with other people (roommates). It's exactly the same as splitting the rent on a two-bedroom house with a friend and moving in together, except you don't know who any of the other people are going to be. It's generally a long-term situation. Sometimes there is a family permanently living there that owns the house, and rents out one or more rooms.

A guest house is the same as a share house, but the people living in it are all "guests" to the area; i.e. they are only planning on staying for a short while (usually too long for a hotel, and too short for a normal apartment). It is possible to stay in a guest house for a long period of time, but people are always moving in and out as they continue their travels.

As such, a share house usually (often?) has a furnished communal area and unfurnished bedrooms, with the idea that you will move in your own stuff. A guest house comes already furnished with the thought that everyone staying their is in the middle of traveling, and won't be able to bring much with them more than their clothes and personal effects.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby ruisu81 » Fri 12.04.2009 3:27 am

Ahh, got it, thanks!

One of my concerns was my housemates being other English speaking travelers. Maybe I'd have a better chance of not using English in a share house.
ruisu81

Postby keatonatron » Fri 12.04.2009 6:38 am

I thi
ruisu81 wrote:Maybe I'd have a better chance of not using English in a share house.

Yes, I think you would, since it would be geared for longer-term residents.

I know someone who lives in one. He said there are two groups of people living there: those who make an effort to learn Japanese and get involved with the culture, and those who don't. According to him, they are very segregated; the British, Canadians, Koreans, French, Chinese, Thai, and others sit on one side of the common room and do their best to practice their Japanese, while the Americans all sit on the other side and only talk to each other (in English). :?
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby ruisu81 » Fri 12.04.2009 12:22 pm

I can understand that...
It's so easy to fall back on English, I really hope there are people like your friend where I wind up.
ruisu81

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan