Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Adjective question

Adjective question

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Adjective question

Postby espen180 » Fri 12.04.2009 7:57 pm

Concider the following sentence:
田中は彼女が好きなです。

Does this say "Tanaka likes her" or "She likes Tanaka"?

Personally I think it is the former, because 彼女が好きな田中 means "Tanaka, who likes her". Doesn't that make sense? However, Google Translate translated it to "Tanaka is her favorite". Is the translator wrong, or am I?
espen180
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri 11.27.2009 4:50 pm

Re: Adjective question

Postby IceCream » Fri 12.04.2009 8:17 pm

I thinks it's the な that's confusing the translator. It either doesnt make sense, or is a really weird construction.

because, when you say 好きな, the thing that follows な is the thing that is liked. e.g. 好きな食べ物 is the liked food.

But the な in the sentence isn't followed by anything. I'm not sure if this is an ok construction or not. But, it would be assumed that

田中は彼女が好きなもの / 方です。
which would mean roughly that tanaka is her liked-person.

However, if you take out the な... is it possible that this is just a typo? then your interpretation is correct, because if the sentence reads 田中は彼女が好きです, it means Tanaka likes her.

It could also be that it should have been なのです / なんです
User avatar
IceCream
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu 11.05.2009 6:13 pm
Native language: English

Re: Adjective question

Postby magamo » Fri 12.04.2009 8:45 pm

espen180 wrote:Concider the following sentence:
田中は彼女が好きなです。

Does this say "Tanaka likes her" or "She likes Tanaka"?

Personally I think it is the former, because 彼女が好きな田中 means "Tanaka, who likes her". Doesn't that make sense? However, Google Translate translated it to "Tanaka is her favorite". Is the translator wrong, or am I?

It's ungrammatical in the first place.

田中は彼女が好きです。-> "Tanaka likes her," "Oh, Tanaka? She like him," etc.

田中は彼女が好きなのです。-> "Tanaka likes her, you know what I mean?" or the like.

田中は彼女が好きな人です。 -> "Tanaka is the one she likes," "Tanaka is the kind of person who likes her," "Tanaka is the person who likes her," etc.

They're interpreted different ways depending on context, your tone of voice, etc. For example,

A: あいつ誰が好きなんだ?
Who does he like anyway?

B: 田中は彼女が好きです。
Tanaka likes her.

But in another context:

A: 佐藤はもてるよな。山田はそこまでじゃないけど一部の女にすげー人気あるよな。でも田中はやばくね?あれを好きになる女はいねーだろ。
Satoh is popular among girls. Yamada isn't as popular, but some girls really love him. But I don't know if any girl would ever find Tanaka cute.

B: 田中は彼女が好きです。ほら、あのいつも彼のこと話してる人。
Oh, Tanaka? She likes him. You know, the girl who's always talking about him.

A: は?誰だよそれ。つかお前「田中なら」って言えよ。わかりにくいんだよ。
Huh? I don't know who you're talking about. (The remaining part defies translation. It's basically saying that the wording 田中は彼女が好き is confusing because while it can mean "She likes him," it usually means "Tanaka likes her.")

By the same token, 彼女が好きな田中 can be "Tanaka, who likes her," "The Tanaka whom she likes," "The personality Tanaka has that she likes," etc.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
User avatar
magamo
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat 10.31.2009 5:52 am
Native language: Newspeak

Re: Adjective question

Postby furrykef » Fri 12.04.2009 9:34 pm

espen180 wrote:However, Google Translate translated it to "Tanaka is her favorite". Is the translator wrong, or am I?


I wouldn't trust Google Translate further than I could throw the server it's hosted on.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: Adjective question

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 12.04.2009 10:58 pm

furrykef wrote:
espen180 wrote:However, Google Translate translated it to "Tanaka is her favorite". Is the translator wrong, or am I?


I wouldn't trust Google Translate further than I could throw the server it's hosted on.


I'll second that. It's nearly worthless for J=>E/E=>J translation.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
User avatar
becki_kanou
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female

Re: Adjective question

Postby espen180 » Sat 12.05.2009 6:22 am

分かりました。ありがとうございます。
espen180
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri 11.27.2009 4:50 pm

Re: Adjective question

Postby Mr.Paper » Wed 02.10.2010 6:19 pm

espen180 wrote:Concider the following sentence:
田中は彼女が好きなです。

Does this say "Tanaka likes her" or "She likes Tanaka"?

Personally I think it is the former, because 彼女が好きな田中 means "Tanaka, who likes her". Doesn't that make sense? However, Google Translate translated it to "Tanaka is her favorite". Is the translator wrong, or am I?

I think that you shouldn't be using google as a translater. It can sometimes be very wrong. (chigaimasu darou)
Mr.Paper
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 07.29.2009 9:46 pm
Location: Illinois
Native language: Spanish
Gender: Male

Re: Adjective question

Postby furrykef » Wed 02.10.2010 11:00 pm

Yes, we've said that already...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: Adjective question

Postby chikara » Wed 02.10.2010 11:56 pm

furrykef wrote:Yes, we've said that already...

But it was worthy of a two month necropost :P
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: Adjective question

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 02.11.2010 12:09 am

BTW, "chigaimasu darou" isn't correct; if you end a sentence with a plain form, you can't put -masu forms inside it. So "chigau darou" (plain) or "chigau deshou" (-masu) are both fine. (and "chigaimasu deshou" is OK in really formal/polite speech)
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English


Return to Grammar Questions and Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests