Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Letter to Japan - did I do it correct?

Letter to Japan - did I do it correct?

Do you have a translation question?

Letter to Japan - did I do it correct?

Postby Zhoulia » Sat 12.05.2009 1:23 pm

Before you read below remember I have just taken basic Japanese and it´s very bad. It´s in Romanji I will write it in hiragana and katakana and kanji later. Also I have dyslexia.. so my spelling can be off.

"Konnichiwa Mei (Hello Mei)

Watashi namae wa arekkusu desu . soshite , kore wa anata ni watashi no saisho no moji desu . ( My name is Alex. And this is my first letter to you."

watashi wa furui nippon no yō da kedo , ikutsu ka no anime wo mi masu ka . (I am like old Japan, but I do watch some anime.)

watashi wa anata no sakuhin ga daisuki desu . (I love your artwork.)

Yoi ichi nichi ni nare masu . (Have a good day.)

arekkusu kara . ( sign Alex)

ok ok this sucks but I am trying to figure it out. :?
Sign Alex
Zhoulia

Re: Letter to Japan - did I do it correct?

Postby tōkai devotee » Sat 12.05.2009 8:32 pm

Hi! You've made a pretty good effort for studying only basis Japanese. It doesn't suck, completely! :D There are just a few basic errors only basis Japanese. There are a few basic errors which I'll go through.

Zhoulia wrote:
Watashi namae wa arekkusu desu . soshite , kore wa anata ni watashi no saisho no moji desu . ( My name is Alex. And this is my first letter to you."

You need to add 'no' between watashi and namae... so 'watashi no namae' = my name. 'no' indicates ownership ie --'s, of.

Also in this part the Japanese word 'moji' means letter but not letter as in correspondence, it means character. The word you want here is 'tegami'

Zhoulia wrote:watashi wa furui nippon no yō da kedo , ikutsu ka no anime wo mi masu ka . (I am like old Japan, but I do watch some anime.)

I'm not really sure what you mean here, even in English. Sorry. Is your native language English?

Zhoulia wrote:Yoi ichi nichi ni nare masu . (Have a good day.)

For this one, I'd say....

Yoi ichinichi de arimasu you ni.

Zhoulia wrote:arekkusu kara . ( sign Alex)

'Kara' does mean from, but when you sign off on a letter you use 'yori'
So arekkusu yori means from Alex.

I hope this helped! Feel free to ask more questions!
Ganbatte!!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 12.05.2009 9:09 pm

tokai devotee wrote:
Zhoulia wrote:watashi wa furui nippon no yō da kedo , ikutsu ka no anime wo mi masu ka . (I am like old Japan, but I do watch some anime.)

I'm not really sure what you mean here, even in English. Sorry. Is your native language English?

He got the "no you" for "like" the same way he got "moji" for "tegami".....by looking in a dictionary and not knowing which item to choose in the case of homonyms. In other words, he was looking for the "like" expressing admiration or affection and instead got the "like" which expresses similarity. (Although I must admit that without his attached English version I never would have figured out what happened there).
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Sat 12.05.2009 9:26 pm

Well, I'll let them clarify further if they feel like it, but suffice it to say English is not their native language.

So cut them a little slack on the translation from their language to English, and then from English to Japanese, as I'm guessing that's what they're doing. :)

We have a several other TJPers from that country as well, and they have a distinct lack of any real Japanese learning materials it seems, so the learning has to be done second hand through English as a proxy.

I might recommend they try out the chat, as a few of the other people from that country hand out there pretty regularly. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 12.05.2009 10:46 pm

I thought it was a fine effort and well done, considering the poster's brief study. I was only pointing out for TD the source of the "no you da" thing.

I can't see what country the OP is from.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby tōkai devotee » Sun 12.06.2009 10:35 pm

Mike Cash wrote:I can't see what country the OP is from.

It seems the OP's native language is hidden from us mere mortals. Apparently only the elite, like phreadom, have access to such information.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby chikara » Mon 12.07.2009 12:34 am

tokai devotee wrote:

It seems the OP's native language is hidden from us mere mortals. Apparently only the elite, like phreadom, have access to such information.

I was of the understanding that phreadom-san had fixed the forum registration so that Native Language was now always mandatory. Not sure how the OP registered on 6 Dec but they appear to have bypassed this check.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby phreadom » Mon 12.07.2009 6:37 am

chikara wrote:
tokai devotee wrote:

I was of the understanding that phreadom-san had fixed the forum registration so that Native Language was now always mandatory. Not sure how the OP registered on 6 Dec but they appear to have bypassed this check.

The problem was that the setting for the native language custom profile field got reset to its default on the Drupal side of the site (the main part of the site), so it wasn't getting properly copied over to the PHPBB side of the site (here on the forum). I fixed it a few days ago right after this incident, but until he logs in again it won't get copied over, and he hasn't logged in since he signed up and made that initial post.

(So in the meantime, anyone who signed up on the Drupal side of the site was still forced to give their Native Language (or NA), but the value wasn't getting copied over to here, so users were still showing up on the forum with no Native Language showing like before. The info is still there on the Drupal side, and you can look it up there if you really need to. Aside from that it's just waiting for them to sign in again now to get copied over to here.)

In the meantime, if you look Zhoulia up on the drupal side of the site, you might see that their Native Language is set to:

Native Language
English , Swedish

http://thejapanesepage.com/user/100028

(And they're posting from Sweden, if you're wondering which of those is actually their native language.)

So hopefully that answers everyone's questions for now. (I'd PMed Mike Cash about this already, but might as well post it here as well.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Tue 12.08.2009 1:26 am

phreadom wrote:The problem was that the setting for the native language custom profile field got reset to its default on the Drupal side of the site (the main part of the site), so it wasn't getting properly copied over to the PHPBB side of the site (here on the forum). I fixed it a few days ago right after this incident, but until he logs in again it won't get copied over, and he hasn't logged in since he signed up and made that initial post. ...

I misunderstood the meaning of "join date". So that is the day they joined the forum not the day they joined the site?

phreadom wrote:In the meantime, if you look Zhoulia up on the drupal side of the site, you might see that their Native Language is set to:

Native Language
English , Swedish

Is that similar to what the chef spoke in the Muppets? :P
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby phreadom » Tue 12.08.2009 9:41 am

chikara wrote:I misunderstood the meaning of "join date". So that is the day they joined the forum not the day they joined the site?

Considering that the data is synced between both sides of the site, I would think it would be the same for both... ie; the join date listed on the forum should be the same as the join date on the main part of the site.

chikara wrote:Is that similar to what the chef spoke in the Muppets? :P

Something like that. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion