Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - TV shows

TV shows

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

TV shows

Postby kurisuto » Tue 12.08.2009 6:47 pm

Could someone recommend some good Japanese talk shows ? I'd particularly like to see, I don't know how to say, French-like talk-shows, i.e "serious" shows preferably with several guests on the same set, in front of an audience, and where subjects such as politics, literature, culture etc. are discussed in length.

I do wish to stress "serious" : everytime I try to watch some videos of Japanese TV shows on Youtube, they're always laughing at (perceived) jokes, with flashy captions and the occasional annoying sound effects. Simply put, I'd really like to see people speaking with each others, showing their knowledge/intelligence without trying to render things funnier than they are, in a somewhat relaxed manner nonetheless.

I guess I'm looking for a compromise between what I talked about above and popularity (for two obvious reasons : first, from a cultural POV, I'd rather watch a program that has some significance in the Japanese society, and second, because it would be easier to find on Youtube or other streaming sites -- and while we're at it, an extra question : do you know of a good Japanese streaming site, other than NicoNico ?)

Any suggestion highly appreciated :)
kurisuto

Native language: French

Re: TV shows

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 12.10.2009 2:56 pm

you might have a hard time finding that, because even the serious shows (except the news of course) have a bit of 'goofiness' to them. as word play is a very common theme in japanese tv 'game' shows and other 'hanashibanashi' shows.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby NocturnalOcean » Thu 12.10.2009 3:15 pm

There certainly are a range of serious shows as well. But I am not sure how easy they are to find on the internet though.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby kurisuto » Thu 12.10.2009 4:36 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:even the serious shows (except the news of course) have a bit of 'goofiness' to them

Kind of sad... I can understand why people like Japanese TV, but my problem is that when I try to watch clips on Youtube, everybody just looks... fake (but then I get the same impression when I watch American TV, albeit to a lesser extent. I guess I'm too accustomed to French TV [especially public service channels, which are very popular in here : a lot of debates, literary and politics shows, live theatre, etc.]).

NocturnalOcean wrote:There certainly are a range of serious shows as well. But I am not sure how easy they are to find on the internet though.

Indeed, that's a big problem. In last resort, I may have to move to Japan :wink:

Anyways, thank you both for your depressing answers ! :)
kurisuto

Postby Oracle » Thu 12.10.2009 6:53 pm

I've seen plenty of serious discussion shows ( arts, politics etc) but they don't get posted on Youtube.
Oracle

Postby IceCream » Thu 12.10.2009 6:59 pm

please can you recommend some good shows? i'm interested too... i have no problem with flashy captions though, they're helpful. as long as the program is interesting, with some interesting opinions... or, good documentaries, too... (not too schoolly though)

even if they aren't on youtube, there are other sites, such as veoh, niconico, or random chinese sites, as well as ways to watch japanese tv outside japan.

there are a 3 or 4 different sites for watching television mentioned in this thread: http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=4088
IceCream

Postby kurisuto » Thu 12.10.2009 8:00 pm

Oracle wrote:I've seen plenty of serious discussion shows ( arts, politics etc) but they don't get posted on Youtube.

Sure, I've myself watched some interviews of politicians -- unfortunately, they were TOO serious (well, almost morbid to tell you the truth, which isn't quite what I'm looking for either). I'm never satisfied !

IceCream wrote:please can you recommend some good shows? i'm interested too... i have no problem with flashy captions though, they're helpful. as long as the program is interesting, with some interesting opinions... or, good documentaries, too... (not too schoolly though)

even if they aren't on youtube, there are other sites, such as veoh, niconico, or random chinese sites, as well as ways to watch japanese tv outside japan.

there are a 3 or 4 different sites for watching television mentioned in this thread: http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=4088

I used to use this kind of program, but unfortunately, most of the time they didn't work (for me at least). Maybe I'll give it another try.

As for documentaries, I don't know if you like Shamisen (in this case, more specifically Tsugaru-jamisen), but here's a documentary about the late Takahashi Chikuzan's disciple, who took his name : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_uEATpLp1o (five parts)

I think I had watched another documentary about the first Chikuzan himself, but well, I can"t seem to find it anymore.
kurisuto

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 12.10.2009 8:08 pm

Like Oracle said, there are a number of serious talkshows (although maybe not like you're thinking of) and shows that deal with serious issues. However, what are generally more popular are the shows that teach or discuss serious topics, but do so in usually a light-hearted or easy to understand fashion.

Some of the ones I like are:

行列のできる法律相談所 (Deals with legal issues)
人生が変わる1分間の深イイ話 (Talk about "deep" talks/anecdotes)
ベストハウス123 (Various news/tech from around the world on a certain category)
いってQ (About other countries)

No idea how easy those will be to find on the net though
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby kurisuto » Thu 12.10.2009 8:20 pm

(just a little update : the documentary I was talking about and that I couldn't find has indeed been deleted)

Harisenbon wrote:Like Oracle said, there are a number of serious talkshows (although maybe not like you're thinking of) and shows that deal with serious issues. However, what are generally more popular are the shows that teach or discuss serious topics, but do so in usually a light-hearted or easy to understand fashion.

Some of the ones I like are:

人生が変わる1分間の深イイ話 (Talk about "deep" talks/anecdotes)
ベストハウス123 (Various news/tech from around the world on a certain category)
いってQ (About other countries)

No idea how easy those will be to find on the net though

Yay ! Many thanks, Harisenbon ! Of course, now I have to find them, but it's a good start. The second one looks particularly intriguing. :)
kurisuto

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 12.10.2009 9:06 pm

Harisenbon wrote:Some of the ones I like are:

You have to wait 'til the 2nd half though, the first half is usually just Shinsuke schmoozing with the guests.

いってQ

I loved last week with the giant wall of fish!

I can't recall ever seeing any panel discussions on literature or culture, although there are plenty of news/politics shows. Also, it's not exactly what you're looking for, but NHK has tons of documentaries on various subjects, which you should be able to find.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 12.10.2009 10:40 pm

becki_kanou wrote:
いってQ

I loved last week with the giant wall of fish!

I haven't watched it lately, but I'm always up for giant walls of fish! =)
I think イモト is one of the main reasons I love that show so much. She's just so full of energy.

becki_kanou wrote:I can't recall ever seeing any panel discussions on literature or culture, although there are plenty of news/politics shows.

Sunday morning on NHK and some other channels there are a lot of those types of shows, in addition to one REALLY conservative one that has actually stopped me from watching daytime TV on Sundays. They always talk about things like "Repealing 9条" and "The necessity of Japan to have a Nuclear arsenal" :(
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby IceCream » Fri 12.11.2009 3:32 am

brilliant thankyou!!!

veoh has plenty of them to be getting through for now :D 8)
(search fih for 深いイイ話, the rest are easy to find)
IceCream

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 12.11.2009 6:22 am

Harisenbon wrote:I haven't watched it lately, but I'm always up for giant walls of fish! =)
I think イモト is one of the main reasons I love that show so much. She's just so full of energy.

Me too. She's just great. On the last episode she went to Siberia to track down a Siberian tiger to photograph for her 年賀状. It was funny, and it looked pretty damn cold, but she was quite a trooper.

Sunday morning on NHK...

Ah, that's why. My Sunday mornings are devoted to getting up late, then watching the いいとも week in review and Nepleague. I think Nepleague is my favorite quiz-show ever.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby kurisuto » Fri 12.11.2009 9:31 am

becki_kanou wrote:I can't recall ever seeing any panel discussions on literature or culture, although there are plenty of news/politics shows. Also, it's not exactly what you're looking for, but NHK has tons of documentaries on various subjects, which you should be able to find.

Of course, NHK ! How come I didn't even think about it ? I checked the Wikipedia article on it, and found its slogan... "まっすぐ、真剣" ! Now *that* is one very powerful sign :lol:

Harisenbon wrote:They always talk about things like "Repealing 9条" and "The necessity of Japan to have a Nuclear arsenal" :(

I took a sociology class last year, and during my research on Japanese nationalism, I came across an interview of Ishihara Shintarô. So, what do you think they were talking about ? ;)

IceCream wrote:veoh has plenty of them to be getting through for now :D 8)
(search fih for 深いイイ話, the rest are easy to find)

I don't use Veoh that much, but I think I'm gonna follow your suggestion !

Thank you all for your answers :)
kurisuto

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan