Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What to get for a wedding gift?

What to get for a wedding gift?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

What to get for a wedding gift?

Postby Dehitay » Sat 12.12.2009 1:39 am

I'm going to a wedding for the first time and have absolutely no idea what to get for a gift. I originally bought a microwave cause they said they needed one and wouldn't be getting one till after the marriage, but then they went and got one before the marriage yet after I already bought one. I'm closer friends with the groom who likes video games, longboard skating, and comics; but I doubt the bride shares any of those hobbies. And sadly, I don't know what any of her hobbies are. To be honest, I don't think they even have any shared interests. I definitely don't know about any at least. However, they did just recently get a new place to live. Consequently, I would probly be best off buying them something for their new home. However, I don't want to repeat the whole microwave problem again. What kind of wedding gift ideas do you guys have for under $50. I'm assuming if I choose one of the less common suggestions, I should be safe
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Re: What to get for a wedding gift?

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 12.12.2009 3:57 am

What about a gift-certificate to a housewares shop? That way they can get something they want for their house. Or is that too gauche? I haven't been to any American weddings except my Dad's. Over here we just give cash which makes it a lot easier (if rather expensive.)
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Infidel » Sat 12.12.2009 4:58 pm

Many stores have a bridal registry which is basically a wish list from the couple. The advantage of shopping for presents this way is that the storekeepers check off any bought items, so you don't buy duplicates.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Dehitay » Sun 12.13.2009 7:33 pm

The bride's rather busy and the groom's rather irresponsible, so I'm not sure they would have a wishlist set up anywhere. Which stores for sure have a bridal registry? and would all stores use the same registry?

Even being to your dad's wedding means you've been to more weddings than me. A gift card will probly be my fall back plan.

I want to get them something like a ticket for a couples massage, except I don't think I can afford that
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby chikara » Sun 12.13.2009 8:25 pm

I don't know about the USA but in this country most of the department stores have bridal registries. Usually if there is a bridal registry for the couple it will tell you so on the wedding invitation. There is no point them having one if none of the guests knows about it.

Do you know how to contact the brides parents? If so I'd ask the bride's mother for ideas.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Mon 12.14.2009 2:28 am

Last edited by 血まみれ剣術師 on Mon 07.04.2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
血まみれ剣術師

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 12.14.2009 12:10 pm

Usually, the bride and groom will have a list of the places they are 'registered' at. I've seen that sent out with the invitations, and also sent out before the invitations or soon after sending out the invitations.

Ask them if they are registered somewhere if they haven't mentioned it to you by now.

As for buying them a gift they might already have, funny thing is that most couples open multiples of the same items all the time. Just keep the receipt handy in case they have any issues when they return the gift. Most places are very understanding and will offer equal value in exchange for 'duplicate' gifts.

I'd not worry about it too much to be honest with you. And if it's going to be a hassle, just give them a gift certificate to a place they might like to shop, or ask the bride, where her favorite shop is and get one from there.

And massages shouldn't be much more than the microwave itself, unless you purchased a very inexpensive microwave. I'd think around 150 or 200 dollars for a couples massage set.. but then again, each facility will have their own prices, so you will want to research that of course.

Good luck
two_heads_talking

Return to General off topic