Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 馬鹿やろう!as a Karate command!?

馬鹿やろう!as a Karate command!?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

馬鹿やろう!as a Karate command!?

Postby tōkai devotee » Sun 12.20.2009 2:24 am

This is not really off topic, but relates to Japan. However, I didn't know what other section to put it in!

On a kids TV show aired recently on ABC3 here in Australia, a Karate sensei said 馬鹿やろう!before bowing and entering his starting position for Karate. I was ROFL and my kids had no idea why! I couldn't believe the sensei said that!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Re: 馬鹿やろう!as a Karate command!?

Postby Infidel » Sun 12.20.2009 4:22 am

Hrm, did they perhaps go online for advice?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 12.21.2009 2:37 am

That reminds me of when I was reading Learning to Bow, a book herald as a "Delightful, moving and incisive account."

I was about halfway through the book when he said "The kids yelled at me 'Bakayarou!' which is a sign of enjoyment and excitement." (quoted from memory)

I threw the book away after that bit. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Mon 12.21.2009 3:06 am

tokai devotee wrote:.... On a kids TV show aired recently on ABC3 here in Australia, a Karate sensei said 馬鹿やろう!before bowing and entering his starting position for Karate. .....

What was the show? I may be able to watch it on iView.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby spin13 » Mon 12.21.2009 4:15 am

Harisenbon wrote:That reminds me of when I was reading Learning to Bow, a book herald as a "Delightful, moving and incisive account."

I was about halfway through the book when he said "The kids yelled at me 'Bakayarou!' which is a sign of enjoyment and excitement." (quoted from memory)

I threw the book away after that bit. ;)

To anybody interesting in reading about Japanese etiquette as it concerns the martial arts, I highly recommend In The Dojo: A guide to the ritual and etiquette of the Japanese martial arts by Dave Lowry. An excerpt, Bowing: Ojirei is available free online.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby tōkai devotee » Mon 12.21.2009 4:18 am

chikara wrote:What was the show? I may be able to watch it on iView.

It was on 'Prank Patrol' on ABC3. They repeat it every now and again (soooooo boring :roll: ) It was on a couple of days ago. Maybe it'll be on their website. I've not checked. Let us know if you can find it!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby chikara » Mon 12.21.2009 8:10 pm

tokai devotee wrote:It was on 'Prank Patrol' on ABC3. They repeat it every now and again (soooooo boring :roll: ) It was on a couple of days ago. Maybe it'll be on their website. I've not checked. Let us know if you can find it!

Thanks. Prank Patrol is available on iView.

Prank Patrol Series 1 Episode 9

(There are 9 days remaining before this video expires.)

Not sure if that's the one you mean. That sensei is Paul Ceberano, son of Tino Ceberano and sister of Kate.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to General off topic